[1.0 - 1.1] Alpha Animals - 2.08 (16/03/20)

Started by SargBjornson, October 18, 2018, 03:28:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Morbo513

I really like the new creatures and the variety they bring. I don't like the Arctic Lion stalking mechanic, and black hive attacks seem to be very frequent. Plus I've had all these except the devilsheep show up in temperate forest, and the Gallatross seems more common than Thrumbos.
One of the more annoying things is that the meat of the various insectoid species are classified differently, so for each cooking stove bill, you need to exclude all of them manually to avoid the negative side of that. Ditto with using that surplus meat for chemfuel production.

SargBjornson

Balance is a work in progress, so any feedback from you guys is super useful! Monday is my free day, so I'll roll and update with many little tweaks with your suggestions

Eitch

I did notice that when I did dev mod raid test, Black Hive faction would always lose to other faction when using same raid points. So perhaps there are possibility that new insects are slightly overvalued? (Black Hive raids do never retreat unlike human factions, but they also do leave behind tons of jellies)

SargBjornson

That's a big possibility! I'll have to do some testing to tweak their values. Thanks!

crossomen

I think, i saw Mammoth Worm raid once. Didn't remember much but it show up with hive, is that black hive?
It show up alone and end up bleeding to death after fought with 3 middle grown insect that digging cave near my colony.
There are 3 kind of vanilla insect, Right? i mean a little one, middle one and full grown one.
It death just fight with 3 middle one, isn't it feel too weak for big guy that look like it have high defense?

Crow_T

Dang, super bang-up job on the graphics and concepts OP!
(regarding dead man's apparel)
"I think, at the very least, the buff should go away for jackets so long as you're wearing the former owner's skin as a shirt."
-Condaddy20

ptx

It's me again Sarg.

I haven't play this mod yet, but I've peek your races defs.

An on demand patch for Vegetable Garden's for Blizzarisk, Dunealisk, and Feralisk. Those animals should give hyperweave silk or synthread silk, that can be turned into hyperweave fabric & synthread fabric at the VG's Loom / Electric Loom. The silks can reuse your Genetic Rim's spunsilk texture.

Black Hive. I'm glad you give the option to turn it off. My last colony that was destroyed by wave after wave insect raids, was a Combat Extended playtrough. You need steel to create bullets. Steel needs time to mine. Creating bullet also takes time. While insects insta-spawn, then the hive self replicate. Steel is finite, while insects insta-spawn are infinite.
I've run out of bullets just to stop the insects from overrunning my colony, so trying to squash a large cave full of replicating hives and insta-spawn adult insects is a no go for early tech colony.

Add the wild animal sex mod, and every other animal either lays egg or gave birth, and takes time to adult. Not insects though, they would still insta-spawn.

A single queen insect that lays numerous egg would be better, at least they would follow the same rule as other animal, birth, juvenile, then adult. The eggs would also functions like a timer, better get ready before those eggs hatches. This would also gives starting colony a chance to squash them early on, if they could kill the queen.

Can you directly command the animals, like your GR's hybrids. If not, maybe an implant for these feral animals, so they can be directly commanded. On demand if GR is also installed.

I'll definitely will be looking for cactipine and blizzarisk in my next run.  :)

vandal

so much attention to detail very good looking

SargBjornson

Updated with lots of small bugfixes and balance tweaks! Most of your suggestions and bug reports should be here. If not, tell me! And keep them coming, I alone wouldn't have been able to catch them all:

- Consolidated all insects meat as... well... insect meat
- VGP patch to make Feralisks, Blizzarisks and Dunealisks drop silks that can be used in the looms
- Slightly reduced the commonality of some events
- Arctic Lion is now a predator as it should be
- Aerofleets are now not prey, or they burn the whole map!
- Frostmite corpse digging reduced to 1/4
- Animal prices reduced to bring them in line with vanilla animals.
- Arctic lion will now drop its invisibility if killed in one shot
- Summit Crab won't keep crushing things if downed / unconscious
- Checked Camera+ compatibility, seems to work fine
- Groundrunners mine less often. They are even lazier now! Should mine slightly more often than a hauler creature Hauls.
- Made compatible with [SYR] Bullet Casings
- Fixed TetraSlugs. They were looking for batteries outside map boundaries!
- Megalouse and Mammoth worm now have manipulation, so they should have 62% base hit like all other animals. The Needlepost and TetraSlug will always be shoddy on melee, due to having no limbs, but they have ranged to compensate.
- Cactipines should no longer spawn with player's faction, and their droppods have a lifetime of three days, so they won't endlessly spawn and cook the alive in an enclosed space (this was SO hilarious)
- Groundrunners now have a shorter gestation period.
- Ironhusk beetles have a decent armor rating now, due to iron plates. Not invincible by any means, though. Think tortoises.
- Tweaked needlepost's size to make it drop less leather and meat
- Tweaked needlepost's need for sunlight to avoid them dying so easily
- Slightly increased Black Hive ranged damage. Coupled with Megalouse and Mammoth Worm now being able to... uh... HIT things, the Black Hive raids shouldn't be such a pushover now.
- Tried to fix extremely buggy Nightling nocturnal cycle, Rest bar won't flicker now, and their attacks shouldn't be interrupted often. They might take a nap or two during the night if they are not busy and not hungry, but that's ok.

I'm working now on seeing if I can toggle individual animal spawning. This requires Harmony.

ptx

Quote from: SargBjornson on October 22, 2018, 05:35:12 AM
- VGP patch to make Feralisks, Blizzarisks and Dunealisks drop silks that can be used in the looms

I'm working now on seeing if I can toggle individual animal spawning. This requires Harmony.

Thanks for the patch and considering to tackle the insect mechanics. A lot of people dislike that mechanics in Rimworld. In the event that thing don't work out, please release the black hive brood queen anyway, since you most likely already had the queen drawn inside your head (or maybe it's already a drawn texture?).

And I forgot about the devil sheep, produces RawDevilWool, that has recolored wool texture, but it's a ResourcesRaw, not a regular wool, and needs the Vegetable Garden's loom to make the devilstrand fabric.

Thanks Sarg!

SargBjornson

Ohhhh, I forgot the devilsheep!

Regarding the queen, I think it won't be necessary! Black Hive hives don't produce any more insects, they are not like the vanilla ones :)

That isn't to say the insect queen concept isn't cool, though ;)

SargBjornson

Some new creatures coming next:

These are all based on designs drafted by A_Friend :)

Mosser

"Aerofleets are now not prey, or they burn the whole map!"

So THAT's why my boreal map was burning down! XD

SargBjornson

Also, barbeques, you shouldn't do barbeques in the forest

Eitch

Ooooh. Is that Animus Vox I see? Would be cool to see its mood buff be psionic (as to be affected by psionic sensitivity traits)!