Raiders took one of my pawns

Started by Prologue, July 14, 2019, 04:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prologue

I resently started a new game and one of my pawns got taken after a raid. How likely am I to ever see him back?

Usually This does not happen to me, but for some reason both of my pawns were taken out by one enemy raider even tho my pawns had better gear and mele skill.

Pangaea

Only one?  :P I lost 9 or so in a raid that went horrifically wrong.

It's possible to get them back, at least one. You may get a quest where you can rescue him or her, and the game will inform you they were previously part of you colony.

Hmm, at least I think it can happen with people kidnapped. I've gotten it with a few people that left the colony due to mental break-downs.

Prologue

Yea I was wondering about that, I know you can get a quest ro rescue people, but I've never done one of those so I don't know what the chanse is of getting my lost pawn back that way.

Canute

Sometimes the raider contact you an demand a ransom for the kidnaped pawn.

Prologue

All my hope is now lost as my other pawn also got taken, leaving me without any one in the collony. This is probably one of the worst endings so far for me :'D

Pangaea

Ouch! Time to start over then. Let's just pretend they are waiting for you in a pawnshop :P

Canute

Just learn from it, and do it different and better next time ! :-)
Don't collect to much wealth, or you easyly get overwhelmed.

Limdood

a single steel spike trap, for 35 steel, is almost guaranteed to kill a raider.  2 definitely will.

If you want less risk, do less fighting.  To do less fighting, kill raiders in some way other than a fight...like traps.

Prologue

The problem was indeed that I had obtained too much wealth early on. I've rebalanced it a bit and restarted.

Shurp

But keep in mind that traps magically go *poof* now when activated.  You can lose a lot of steel that way.  I recommend stone instead.

I find it hilarious that the "auto re-arm" option is still there on traps.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Canute

Yeah, i vote that any turret should go poof too, once they are out of ammo !! :-)

Pangaea

Traps are really powerful though, maybe too much in fact. They have to have some cost, even if it can be really steep to replace many traps after a big raid. You're essentially paying resources for not putting your people in harm's way.

Kirby23590

When a Raider kidnaps one of your pawns, there's a chance that the pawn will die from their wounds and the game might tell you that. Or they will start to ransom him or her for silver.

But if you Refuse the offer than there's a chance that you might either can get him or her back by prisoner rescue quests, or appearing as a slave for sale... TBH i have never encountered a single pawn that you used to have that has became a new member of a faction to outlanders or even evening joining the ranks of raiders with the pirates, but that's a possibility and never encountered them become one or i was just blind.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Looked through my pawns yesterday and came over something that reminded me. I did indeed get a rescue quest with a kidnapped pawn. Didn't bother as we were up to our necks in trouble at the time, and the guy was pretty crap anyway.

Notice the "Slave" tag.

As noted above, other kidnapped people have died offscreen, and then your people get rather upset about it. Especially if it's a husband for instance. Don't know if that is a clean random chance, or related to badly wounded they are. Probably the latter, but I don't know for sure.

Limdood

Quote from: Shurp on July 14, 2019, 04:19:25 PM
But keep in mind that traps magically go *poof* now when activated.  You can lose a lot of steel that way.  I recommend stone instead.

I find it hilarious that the "auto re-arm" option is still there on traps.

If cost is your issue, use wood.  They're only about 1/4 to 1/3 as powerful as steel (i think stone are like 40-50% steel strength?) but stone traps take AGES to build.

This was also specifically an early game solution to RNG pawn deaths caused by the risk of a 2v2 or 2v3 type of situation that can happen on raid #3 onwards.  Drag one of the raiders over a steel trap and the odds swing IMMENSELY in your favor for the cost of 35 steel.