Are there any practical reasons to buy the game at this point?

Started by Adrivan, January 08, 2020, 07:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrivan

Ok, so of course a big reason to buy Rimworld in 2020 is to support the developers, who did an amazing job at making this game.
The problem is, 35$ for me is not an insignificant amount of money. So when I buy a game (as opposed to downloading it for free), I like to think of what I get in return in practical terms, other than feeling good about myself for supporting the team. I usually buy a game for the convenience of having it automatically updated, otherwise i don't see much value in my purchase (unless the game is in the 0-10$ range, then i would buy it anyway).

So i guess my question is, is the game 100% finished, or is it still possible it will be updated in the future? Also are there any other reasons to buy it?

Bozobub

The game is complete.  If you pirate the game, don't pretend you have any excuse at all.
Thanks, belgord!

Canute

The game don't got tripple A graphics or sounds, so when you are someone who want a beautiful looking game, don't buy it.

But the game got a very complex gameplay and much more important (from my side) a large modding community which enhance the gameplay much more.
While you hang in some AAA game just a few days then you finish it and only got maybe more fun at PvP, you can spend hundert of hours at Rimworld just for one colony just to start again a new colony with different mods/style.
So if you like city builder,survival games you should take a look at Rimworld.

fatwilf

for $35 you get a highly rated, well balanced, finished and complete game?

its only in the last 10 years~ that people have come to expect regular updates etc to improve/change the game, especially in PC gaming.

Adrivan

Yea, my point is that you can get it for free from the internet. What I'm asking is if there's a benefit to buying the game besides helping the team.

LWM

I suppose you get an easier time downloading mods via Steam, if you do Steam.

FWIW, this has been one of only two games I bought in the last ...4 years?  The other was Stellaris, and I kind of regret that one.... (seriously, there are some glaring UI problems with that game; wtf?  RW's UI isn't Excellent, but at least it always works?  Is that too high a bar?)  So if you have any game budget at all, you can do worse than this game :)

If your choices are "feed the cat without murdering your neighbor" or "buy RimWorld," I do have to recommend feeding your cat mid-world kibble, and not neighbor, and finding some lower-cost way to entertain yourself.

PS some mods may ONLY be available on Steam?  Maybe?  I'm not sure how that works, I think some mod sites out there just scrape all of them without bothering to check copyright/etc.

SpaceCows

Quote from: Adrivan on January 08, 2020, 12:26:44 PM
Yea, my point is that you can get it for free from the internet. What I'm asking is if there's a benefit to buying the game besides helping the team.

Well, for one, you don't have to commit any real-world crimes to play. I'd consider that a benefit.

Secondly, as others have said, buying through Steam has it's perks, mostly game save synchronization and automatic mod installation & updating.

This is the cheapest game per hour played I have ever purchased.

Canute

And our point is to mark you as pirate, no more free cookies for you !!

Ramsis

Well Adrivan for 30 or so dollars you get:

The Steam workshop, which is drowning in a disgusting amount of mods that constantly get updated, new ones come out frequently that are of stellar quality, and I do my best to watch over personally for any bad content ;)

The game may be released but I really can't see it being the end of the game's development.

You're giving support to a dev team consisting of not only one of the nicest people I have the pleasure of saying I know, love ya Tynan you've been nothing but an angel these past 4-5 years, but also the people who come together to help both him and the community constantly.

Look I won't sit here and judge you for your actions because I really don't give a darn either way. If you choose to get the game on your own terms that is for you to decide we just ask that you don't bring it up here as we're obviously not going to be supportive of any form of piracy. You do you brotato, just know that your money spent if you choose to give it up goes to helping a team continue its work on quality content, gets you access to quality content made by over 10k different people, and you might see some awesome stuff in the future regarding a game I highly doubt you haven't played already one way or the other. ;)
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

5thHorseman

You can get a lot of things free on the Internet. Viruses... court summons...
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Nafensoriel

Rimworld is...:
1] 99.9% bug free.
2] Is exactly  100% what it says on the tin.
3] Probably the highest-rated game in the last twenty years by aggregated average.
4] Has almost as many mods as Skyrim... and rimworld mods are not all duct tape and a prayer code wise.
5] Tynan and the team earned every ounce of praise they've gotten for this title by the quality of their product.

"Not buying"(read: pirating) rimworld at this point is on par with drowning kittens in the level of terribleness.

Honestly, if a single title ever deserved dollars to be spent rimworld is that poster child. Any other purchase you make game wise is going to have some level of "you got screwed".

LWM

Quote from: Nafensoriel on January 08, 2020, 11:19:58 PM
"Not buying"(read: pirating) rimworld at this point is on par with drowning kittens in the level of terribleness.

Maybe we should have a nice cup of a tea and a sad wander instead of a murderous rage?

Also, that person who posted about defending the cat hidden in the heart of the fortress to the last man might disagree with your valuation  ;D  Goodness, but this is an awesome game :)

Nafensoriel

Quote from: LWM on January 08, 2020, 11:34:47 PM
Quote from: Nafensoriel on January 08, 2020, 11:19:58 PM

Maybe we should have a nice cup of a tea and a sad wander instead of a murderous rage?

Also, that person who posted about defending the cat hidden in the heart of the fortress to the last man might disagree with your valuation  ;D  Goodness, but this is an awesome game :)

My friend... I once murdered an entire game map over the loss of twinkles the cat. The first rule of my colonies is "The cat lives in a fortified bunker" and "if the cat dies to reload. If reloading is not an option Death.

Aiven

I've pirated my fair share through the years, but I've always tried and support independent musicians, game makers, etc. I honestly think you should pay for the game, if you play it. If you tend to pirate shit, at least support a few things with the money you saved. This feels good at least to me.

skoshin

By free you mean steal/pirate/take without permission.

You can get a lot things for free in life, doesn't make you less of a thief.

The game is more than worth the $35 price tag.  It's well beyond complete.  I've had this game since Alpha and I've put 570 hours into the game SINCE it was *FULL* release.  If you like add-ons/updates there is a ton of mods and a robust modding community.  If you're looking for justification NOT to be a thief then it's only your conscious and your fear of God or lack there of.

But it's well worth paying the money to give the developers today.