The Big Patch Notes Topic

Started by Semmy, November 04, 2013, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ender

Quote from: bigwolf2101 on April 13, 2014, 06:26:01 PM
ok it don't say in patchnotes but did he add a bunch of pawn names that are new?
and take out salt lol

It does actually say it, "April 8, Integrated new player creative content."
The voices in my head tell me to burn colonists....

Tynan

Yep. Each month there is new content as more players buy and do the Name in Game and Backstory in Game tiers.

Salt is still there :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Tynan on April 17, 2014, 10:46:40 PM
Yep. Each month there is new content as more players buy and do the Name in Game and Backstory in Game tiers.

Salt is still there :D

I think, since there are more new content every month, Salt is still there, but diluted. *BA DUM TISH*
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Rex705

I have never seen the name I entered in game :(

FtDLulz

Quote from: Rex705 on April 20, 2014, 08:39:05 PM
I have never seen the name I entered in game :(
In the options menu, you can enter your character name and it will have a higher chance of appearing.

dd0029

Quote from: 4/21 Patch note
Tuning: Healing is slower. More time between raids. Effective farming now takes more space (reduce turtling).

Specifically, the effective farming note. Please don't tell me my 11x11 field is no longer good forever.

Tynan

Your 11x11 field is no longer good forever. :D

dd0029

Are we going to have to crop rotate?

Are we going to reliably get more arable land?

Actually, could we get a map gen slider or something? Or maybe some checkboxes? Something along the lines of, moutain wall yes/no, desert yes/no, hills/valleys yes/no, etc.?

porcupine

Quote from: dd0029 on April 21, 2014, 02:34:28 PM
Are we going to have to crop rotate?

Are we going to reliably get more arable land?

Actually, could we get a map gen slider or something? Or maybe some checkboxes? Something along the lines of, moutain wall yes/no, desert yes/no, hills/valleys yes/no, etc.?

Checkboxes rated well with our focus groups!

Tynan

No crop rotations.

Arable land amount will depend on the map gen algorithm.

My hope is: Mapgen will get more variation but it will be based on choosing a landing site on an overworld map, not moving sliders. But no major expansion is planned here soon. Mapgen is not hard to mod though.

TimMartland

Any estimates about what version the field guns / artillery are planned for? I think it would be awesome to have a line of 2-3 WW2 style flak guns or long ranged artillery to shoot down or shoot up raiders.
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

renwold

Quote from: Tynan on April 21, 2014, 02:43:25 PM
Mapgen will get more variation but it will be based on choosing a landing site on an overworld map, not moving sliders.

Kind of like a terrestrial version of the Spacebase DF-9 star chart? (I'm making an assumption that you've played every game in remotely the same genre lol)
RimWorld Let's Play Collection
Thanks for watching, I'll see you next time!
Renwold|@RenwoldPlays|Ren Plays (Youtube)

Architect

Quote from: renwold on April 21, 2014, 04:15:55 PM
Quote from: Tynan on April 21, 2014, 02:43:25 PM
Mapgen will get more variation but it will be based on choosing a landing site on an overworld map, not moving sliders.

Kind of like a terrestrial version of the Spacebase DF-9 star chart? (I'm making an assumption that you've played every game in remotely the same genre lol)

That's what I'm thinking when he says it...
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Tynan

More like Dwarf Fortress I hope. But that's way off.

No idea about artillery specifics.

Really, in general, it's pointless to ask me about the future. I don't know until I've finished iterating on it.

dd0029

Quote from: 4/21 Patch note
Tuning: Healing is slower. More time between raids. Effective farming now takes more space (reduce turtling).

Stupid game, stuck in my head.  ;D

I was thinking a lot about this last night, specifically that the goal of the note is to reduce turtling. While I'm not averse to adding complexity to the farming game, it's pretty much "set it and forget it" at the moment and that's not terribly compelling, I don't know that this is the place to hang the turtling hat.

Current turtling behavior is a result of current game incentives. All of the events at the moment are actively trying to destroy your colony and colonists. The only available proactive response at the moment to those events is to turtle up. Doing anything else "risks" "losing".

I think if we had other options, turtling wouldn't necessarily be the default action. I was thinking, maybe offer the option to buy off raiders with money, resources or even, in a last ditch option, colonists/prisoners. That option might open up alternative game play choices. Early on you can decide, fort up or be the trading outpost.