Rimworld Wiki! (old thread)

Started by williamknox, September 20, 2013, 12:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Thanks Hypolite! Again!

I've attached the file that is currently used to create the Codex in the game. If you or anyone else wants to take a shot at filling it out, I would be endlessly appreciative. What with setting up a corporation and publicizing and making the game it tends to fall to the bottom of the priority list. Obviously I'll credit you! And if you don't have time, no issue. Game can live without it for now.

Unfortunately most of the rest of the text is basically hard-coded. I try to generate it from game data so it never falls out of sync; that 1500/1700 thing must've been a mistake in this area.

I wonder if I could eventually set up the in-game codex to access the online wiki data directly. That'd be a project in itself, but something to put on the list for "eventually".

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Tynan

Okay, how did you get all the character bios and traits?

Also, about four of the traits actually do affect the game. Yes, I need to implement a lot more. They're largely just flavor right now.

Hypolite

I did extract the bios and the traits the same way: I clicked on "Randomize" until I always saw the same one again and again. You could have guessed that by the fact that I only have bios accessible to starting colonists. No Illegal Shipwright nor Assassin, for example.

About the traits affecting the game, it's a great news, but some seems quite tricky to implement, while others can really make things go wrong very fast, especially when combined.

I'm not sure I will write in the Codex. After all, English is not my primary language, but at least on a Wiki anyone can clean up behind me. I like the idea of the Codex being able to directly get the wiki pages, but I suggest against it until we get our own hosted wiki system to avoid Wikia advertisement. Once we do that, it's just a matter of having an embedded web view in the game to show the wiki.

British

I've uploaded a few images (taken from Hypolite's screenshots), and I've been trying to create templates, in order to display an infobox for items, with an image, and the stats provided in the wiki.
Problem is, that's a bit complex and I don't have the know-how.

If anyone has done it properly before and could provide templates, that would be awesome...

British

OK, I managed to add a basic Infobox for Templates...

It's at http://rimworld.wikia.com/wiki/Template:Structure and contains the following fields:
  • title
  • image : Name of the uploaded image
  • imagewidth : For a small image, use "Original"
  • size : the number of tiles used by the structure (ex: 2x2)
  • cost : How many resources it costs to produce that structure (ex: 3 [[Metal]])
  • health : How many HP the structure has
  • movement : Speed of characters walking through that tile (ex: 80%)
  • note : Anything useful
(Every attributes but Size is hidden if unset)

It might be useful to find a clean way to add if the structure is powered, and if it conducts power.
There might be other attributes to add as well.

British

@Tynan: Would you have graphical assets available somewhere ?
Even if they're temporary, it could only be better than extracting bits from screenshots...

Tynan

http://ludeon.com/downloads/AllBuildings.png

TexturePacker seems to have done something weird with the edges... I honestly think it might look better if you just pull out chunks of screenshots, with the background intact.

British

There's a lot of usable ones, at least ;D

I was kinda hoping to have some corresponding description though, as I obviously don't have access to the game and can't identify most of them :P

williamknox

hello sorry I haven't replied lately, I've been busy :/ I'll edit myfist post on this thread so it links to hypolite's wiki. Also about RimWorld Guide, the reason it has guide on the end is because when I did RimWorld it was like: Nope.

British

Quote from: Tynan on September 23, 2013, 12:15:50 PM
http://ludeon.com/downloads/AllBuildings.png
Any chance to have an extract for *everything* (walls, ground, characters...) ?
The "Structure" template I made was merely for starters ;)

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on September 23, 2013, 05:34:19 AM
I did extract the bios and the traits the same way: I clicked on "Randomize" until I always saw the same one again and again. You could have guessed that by the fact that I only have bios accessible to starting colonists. No Illegal Shipwright nor Assassin, for example.

About the traits affecting the game, it's a great news, but some seems quite tricky to implement, while others can really make things go wrong very fast, especially when combined.

I'm not sure I will write in the Codex. After all, English is not my primary language, but at least on a Wiki anyone can clean up behind me. I like the idea of the Codex being able to directly get the wiki pages, but I suggest against it until we get our own hosted wiki system to avoid Wikia advertisement. Once we do that, it's just a matter of having an embedded web view in the game to show the wiki.

I'll proof read and correct the wiki when I next have the chance.

Hypolite

Progress has been made, the Power page is now on.

British, thanks for the help with the template, it's a big improvement over what I did. About the images, they need to be PNGs since they are small pixellated images. JPG compression destroys the quality of that kind of image. I used the available pictures in my pages, but ideally they should be remade in PNG from screenshots from the game itself.

The pictures I posted on this board are low quality because of the low file upload size limit, but I will be able to provide better screenshots of a selection of buildings if requested.

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on September 23, 2013, 05:53:22 PM
Progress has been made, the Power page is now on.

British, thanks for the help with the template, it's a big improvement over what I did. About the images, they need to be PNGs since they are small pixellated images. JPG compression destroys the quality of that kind of image. I used the available pictures in my pages, but ideally they should be remade in PNG from screenshots from the game itself.

The pictures I posted on this board are low quality because of the low file upload size limit, but I will be able to provide better screenshots of a selection of buildings if requested.

I just edited that page, I think I cleared up the grammar issues, but we could do with a second look over it.

Hypolite

Thanks for the corrections :)

Tynan

You guys should totally post this wiki to the RimWorld subreddit.

EDIT: My mistake, it's already done. Awesome!