Rimworld Wiki! (old thread)

Started by williamknox, September 20, 2013, 12:31:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xTAMERx

Yarkista

Quote from: Tynan on September 23, 2013, 06:04:38 PM
You guys should totally post this wiki to the RimWorld subreddit.

EDIT: My mistake, it's already done. Awesome!

Yea, I'm on the ball for once. ;)

Edit: Also does anyone else watch breaking bad? I've just started watching it on netflix here in the UK and it is honestly amazing.

British

Quote from: Hypolite on September 23, 2013, 05:53:22 PMBritish, thanks for the help with the template, it's a big improvement over what I did. About the images, they need to be PNGs since they are small pixellated images. JPG compression destroys the quality of that kind of image. I used the available pictures in my pages, but ideally they should be remade in PNG from screenshots from the game itself.

The pictures I posted on this board are low quality because of the low file upload size limit, but I will be able to provide better screenshots of a selection of buildings if requested.
Well, I can manage the pictures (or at least a good chunk) if you make them available to me somehow (daylight screenshots if possible) 8)
If you can also manage to get the details (Health, which I'll change to HP since it seems to be that way in-game ; Movement on the tiles ; Power costs/drains/whatever...), it would be awesome.
Of course, if Tynan can provide the info, it would be awesome-er ::)

Edit: I've just checked the wiki and you've been busy with updating the Structures already, Hypolite, so feel free to leave me some stuff to do for when I'm at the office tomorrow (in about 10 hours) ;D

British

I added pictures I grabbed from the file provided by Tynan, but I don't have anything at home to handle the alpha channel on the pngs...
I'll have to do that later.

I made some edits as well, for readability, and created a Talk:Power page to discuss those.
No idea why, but I can't see a link to the Talk page on the Power page...

Hypolite

Thanks for the edits, British, and as per your request, I made you administrator on the wiki. I answered you on the talk page and I made the necessary edits to maximize readability.

Yarkista

I made more spelling, grammar and structure improvements to the wiki but may I suggest something?

The front page can be edited by anyone, I would suggest that we change that so the front page can only be edited by the mods, it helps stop griefing.

British

That's the yang to the ying when it comes to wikis: what can one do, an other one can undo.
It's a sound suggestion nonetheless.

Having a weekly backup (for instance) of the wiki would make us even safer (I have no idea about how doing it, as of now, though).

Hypolite

The wiki is already fully versioned, and a list of edits is available. With 2 people with the rollback power for 6 pages, I think we'll manage. Good suggestion when the front page will be in its final form. Right now it's still a Work In Progress.

Yarkista

Quote from: Hypolite on September 24, 2013, 06:28:30 PM
The wiki is already fully versioned, and a list of edits is available. With 2 people with the rollback power for 6 pages, I think we'll manage. Good suggestion when the front page will be in its final form. Right now it's still a Work In Progress.

Oh good, that's fine then.

Hypolite

Trade, Resources and a few extra bios (look for the asterisks)!

For those interested in helping, a lot of red links (missing pages) about buildings and resources can be resolved by creating the corresponding item page and adding a redirection to the corresponding list page with an anchor to the right item. For example, the page Power conduit redirects to Structures#Power conduit.

The redirect syntax is as follow in the page code:

redirect[[Structures#Power conduit]]

Hypolite

Tynan

Really makes me want to make more of each of these things...
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

British

Quote from: Tynan on September 29, 2013, 08:55:48 PM
One thing that would be really nice: having you write down the changes implemented on each build, so we could have them on the wiki, "drawing" an evolution of the game.

British

Quote from: British on September 30, 2013, 04:08:24 AM
One thing that would be really nice: having you write down the changes implemented on each build, so we could have them on the wiki, "drawing" an evolution of the game.
Self-bumping is bad, don't do it at home !
Unless it's for great justice, of course... 8)

Tynan

Quote from: British on September 30, 2013, 04:08:24 AM

My only hesitation is the time it would take. I develop fast and keeping changelists would slow things down...
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog