[MOD](Alpha 7) Realistic Weapons V2.0 + Fortifications Mod V2.0

Started by AY, August 28, 2014, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerberus86

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 07, 2014, 08:56:51 AM
Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 08:49:30 AM
Absolutely love this mod. I can't go back to vanilla after using superior crafting + Project Armory  + Realistic Weapons.

I do think that close quarters combat could be more interesting. The idea behind the "warmup" is that colonists aim, right? Well sort of. And because shotguns are only effective in really tight quarters, I would really feel it would be advantageous for them and other weapons that are supposedly ideal for CQC to barely have any warmup. It just looks so weird and less intensive when they stand literally one square from eachother and hostiles swarm in only to stand there looking at eachother for 2 seconds before shooting. Wouldn't it be cooler just to keep the reload after the first shot
and remove the warmup?

Ideally the warmup should be higher the longer away from you are, but that might be hard to implement in a mod, or impossible.

Just a thought.

i like the differentiations of the different weapons and their use in different circumstances too, i personally just find the range a bit too high in general. long range might be realistic but it has some problems gameplay-wise.

the warmup-phase is a vanilla feature though and yes it is supposed to be like an aiming time.

I can agree with that. Gameplay wise, I too feel that range needs to be shortened a little bit. There's too many weapons that can shoot all the way across the map, when in my opinion, only certain sniper rifles should possess that range.

Right now it's way to hard to advance on enemy positions because they can shoot at you from a mile away.

My wishes right now
1. Make battle rifles, Assault Rifles, LMGs have lower range, and lower the range of sniper rifles slightly but not much.

2. Lower warmup on Pistols, Shotguns and SMGs, to somewhere around 0,1-0,5.

This will make the game more tactical and specifically balance out the game. It's always fun placing out your colonists strategically in a room when the enemy is about to breach to door. But what happens when they do enter is not that exciting because no one is even firing at the door within 2 seconds. Those seconds count in a firefight!

+1

these changes would make this mod perfect, i really do love that pistols for example or sub-machine-gun type weapons are viable in close quarters and you have to be tactical to defeat the enemy horde, but having a gunfight from the opposite side of the map to the other isn't really fun or rather doesn't fit the gamplay that well....everything else is awesome though.

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 07, 2014, 09:26:29 AM
Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 09:13:44 AM
Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 07, 2014, 08:56:51 AM
Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 08:49:30 AM
1. Shorter Warm up
2. Reload after first shot
3. Warm up longer at ranges

4. Range too high

4. Make battle rifles, Assault Rifles, LMGs have lower range, and lower the range of sniper rifles slightly but not much.

1. Lower warmup on Pistols, Shotguns and SMGs, to somewhere around 0,1-0,5.

1./2. Right now I am using the "warm up time" for differentiating between the weapons. Didn't think of the ridiculously long standing time in close quarters. What I will do is to use the "cool down time" instead, to make the weapons different. So basically what would happen is that weapons will have a really short aim time (although smaller weapons still have an advantage), the main difference will be the reload (cool down time) AFTER the first burst is fired. Hopefully that will make CQC more interesting.
Draft Changes:
Pistol: 1 sec to 0.33 sec
SMG: 1.5 sec to 0.66 sec
Shotgun: 2 sec to 0.84 sec
Assault Rifles: 2.5 sec to 1.2 sec
Battle Rifles/LMG: 3 sec to 1.5 sec
HMG/Snipers: 4 sec to 1.8 sec

Instead, weapons will have "reload" (cool down) times that are 1.5x their aim time; and as a result semi-automatic weapons and bolt action weapons will have their time between burst shots just a little bit lower than their aim time.

3. The current game mechanic is that aim time is constant at all ranges, so nothing I can do to change that.

4. What Im thinking of right now is that ranges will be 2/3 or 3/4 of what they are right now, weapons with ranges under 20 will not be affected.
So ranges would be somewhat close to:
Pistol/SMG/Shotguns under 20: Keep their ranges
SMGs at 40: 30
Launchers at 80: 60
Assault Rifles at 80: 60
Rifles at 100-120: 75-90
120+ will be 2/3 of what  they are now.

So what do you guys think about the new values? Too short? Have some other ideas? I'll start putting this in the next patch starting tomorrow after getting some feedback.

Xerberus86

this sounds great and i am looking forward to the next version which i think will round up the rimworld experience quite nicely.

MelanisticAlbino

1. Cutting ranges over 20 by 3/4 is probably a good idea to begin with.

2. I'm thinking that you shouldn't change the sniper warm-up time too much. I think 2,5-3 seconds might be good. It will really make sniper-rifles so much more defined as a long range weapon, people will know that tactically you don't send in someone with a sniper rifle in CQC.

3. Hmm... It's hard sitting here trying to figure out the right values but instinctively I'd say maybe the shotgun is still a bit too high on the warm-up? How about having it the same as SMGs?

4. I think generally that in order to better differentiate weapons it would be better if you let LMGs, Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles have a tad higher warm-up than suggested in the draft. Maybe have assault rifles at 1.5 and battle rifles at 1.8.

But then again, it's hard sitting here on the forum debating the exact perfect values. The draft is certainly in the right direction! I'd be very happy if you released a version with those numbers, and then if needed, hammer out the details after some play-time.

I would also like to mention how grateful I am that you made this mod and that you're still working on it! Thanks :)

Xerberus86

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 12:46:59 PM
I would also like to mention how grateful I am that you made this mod and that you're still working on it! Thanks :)

+1

the modders of rimworld do some great work!

AY

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 12:46:59 PM
1. Cutting ranges over 20 by 3/4 is probably a good idea to begin with.

2. I'm thinking that you shouldn't change the sniper warm-up time too much. I think 2,5-3 seconds might be good. It will really make sniper-rifles so much more defined as a long range weapon, people will know that tactically you don't send in someone with a sniper rifle in CQC.

3. Hmm... It's hard sitting here trying to figure out the right values but instinctively I'd say maybe the shotgun is still a bit too high on the warm-up? How about having it the same as SMGs?

4. I think generally that in order to better differentiate weapons it would be better if you let LMGs, Assault Rifles and Battle Rifles have a tad higher warm-up than suggested in the draft. Maybe have assault rifles at 1.5 and battle rifles at 1.8.

But then again, it's hard sitting here on the forum debating the exact perfect values. The draft is certainly in the right direction! I'd be very happy if you released a version with those numbers, and then if needed, hammer out the details after some play-time.

Perhaps these values would be better?
Pistol: 0.33 sec
SMG/Shotgun: 0.66 sec (SMG has a higher DPS but Shotguns have higher one shot kill chance, even trade off?)
Assault Rifles: 1.2 sec
Battle Rifles: 1.5 sec
HMG: 2 sec
Sniper: 3 sec

MelanisticAlbino

Yeah that looks really good!  ;D

Just those changes will overhaul battle tactics a lot! I can't wait for the release! You're awesome.

Xerberus86

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 07, 2014, 01:24:27 PM
Yeah that looks really good!  ;D

Just those changes will overhaul battle tactics a lot! I can't wait for the release! You're awesome.

+1 :)

AY

It would seem that the cool down tick also causes colonists to not be able to move after shooting, so I revised the numbers a little bit.
Weapon-Warmup-Cooldown
Pistol-0.33sec-0.33sec
Smg/shotgun-0.66sec-0.33sec
AR-1.2sec-0.66sec
BR-1.5sec-0.66sec
LMG-1.5sec-1sec
Hmg-2sec-1.33sec
Sniper-3sec-1.5sec
*Default cooldown is 0.66sec

The machineguns and snipers take a while to move because they are support, not front line weapons.

*Default cool down is 0.66sec

Xerberus86

i think alpha 7 will be a good alpha for your mod and should make it easier for your balancing those weapons.

it seems that from alpha 7 onwards gear (i think weapons too) can modify stats of its wearers, so you could give sniper rifles an aim bonus and heavy machineguns a movement penalty and aiming malus. in general you could balance weapons a bit with weight & movement speed (not drastically but slightly). a big rifle should be heavier than a pistol, i don't know if you could put soft requirements for weapons, making everyone  who hasn't the appropriate skill (like shooting 10 for sniper rifle x) have an accuracy debuff.

MelanisticAlbino

Excuse me for already spamming suggestions here but I just thought of something.

Shotgun projectiles. Is it possible to make it.. hmm.. look more like = http://puu.sh/aHs74/50605c69f6.jpg instead of looking like a giant web?

AY

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on September 08, 2014, 12:31:23 PM
Excuse me for already spamming suggestions here but I just thought of something.

Shotgun projectiles. Is it possible to make it.. hmm.. look more like = http://puu.sh/aHs74/50605c69f6.jpg instead of looking like a giant web?
Cosmetic changes are rather low on the priority list, although if you want to for personal use you can change the shotgun bullet textures in the mod folder.

AY

Quote from: Xerberus86 on September 07, 2014, 12:23:57 PM
this sounds great and i am looking forward to the next version which i think will round up the rimworld experience quite nicely.

V1.2 Released, WWII weapons pack included  :D

Viperlol

Ay you have no idea how much I love you for getting those textures in game, you have easily made one of the best mod for this game.
When in doubt, rely on everyone else to fix up your .xml

Gypsypie

hey, Ay, I was trying to use the Kit switcher after downloading your mod w/PA and for PA both of which caused it to not open, and only after i told them to open as Admin did it give me a brief 2 sec error stating the program crashed which kinda sucks cause I would love to try out those new WW2 guns you added, is there any way you could make them as a stand alone pack like the grenades?