Your weirdest habits

Started by ParagonTerminus, September 21, 2014, 10:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raufgar

Quote from: ParagonTerminus on October 02, 2014, 01:56:48 AM
Quote from: keylocke on September 29, 2014, 12:08:53 PM
Quote from: PookyJM on September 28, 2014, 10:18:26 PM
-If I can afford the metal, red carpet is for work area, green for bedroom, blue for passage/road

-woot. i also color code my base.
red is for defensive areas, green is for community areas, blue is for private rooms, stone floors are for fire buffer

Count me in on the color-code train!

Blue carpets for colonist rooms, red lights for storages, and green lights for the runway I always build outside the spaceship hangar.

Blue carpets for colonist rooms, Red carpet for da prison, Green for common areas (yes, even passageways). I usually build into mountains so I smooth the heck out of everything (yes, even passageways).

I have little battery caches, usually in those randomly gen'ed ancient buildings outside my colony. Colonist rooms are on a separate circuit. Most of my colonists get R-4 Charge Rifles if I can get them. This turned out to be a bad idea one time when 5 raiders all armed with M-24s pod-dropped into my fledging colony and 1-shot'ed most of my main combatants. One second, everyone was pulling out their R-4s and running for cover, next second 5 out of 8 were dead...
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

keylocke

another weird habbit of mine, is building with stone for almost EVERYTHING..
('coz stone nevah burns baby!)  nyahaha..

"beauty" is reserved for the golden prisoner beds and dining tables.. but everything else? stone!

ITypedThis

Quote from: keylocke on October 02, 2014, 05:29:26 AM
another weird habbit of mine, is building with stone for almost EVERYTHING..
('coz stone nevah burns baby!)  nyahaha..

"beauty" is reserved for the golden prisoner beds and dining tables.. but everything else? stone!

You're not "stoning" hard enough! The only things in my colonies that aren't made of stone, can't be made of stone!

ascdren

wood floor EVERYWHERE!!!, no beds yet, don't worry sleep on the wood floor, no table? don't worry eat off the wood floor. no farm? don't worry WOOD FLOOR/

keylocke

when i build space ships.. i actually want them to look like a spaceship.   ;D

wolfman1911

-Beds are arranged with the headbord against the wall, opposite the door, always.
-I usually choose carpet colors based on my mood, but one color will be residences, another will be work areas, and the third might be the prison, or whatever else I come up with.
-I always start my colony with a single building with three to five beds for my colonists to sleep in. In almost every case, that building later becomes either my prison or sick bay.
-FLower pots.
-I build battery rooms. Eight batteries in a room with enough open space that they can be circled. I will put in a door, but no lights.
-I don't really make killboxes, so much as I try and claim as much territory as possible. I plant my base behind choke points that are covered by turrets with their own power source and battery backup, though usually that doesn't get done until I'm fairly happy with the size of my base.
-I always try to claim an almost complete stone ruin and dump bodies there, so that when it is full I can torch them all with molotovs.

Igabod

Before I got around to making my own texture for lamps I used to put them directly in front of the door and pretend they were ceiling lights. Now that they actually look like lamps I place them in logical places, like next to beds or in the corner or right next to the door, depending on which one fits the room better.

Also before I retextured them, I used to place a single tile of carpet under colored lamps that matched the color of the lights so I could tell which one was which color even when the power was out.

I always pause the game immediately as soon as it starts, before the colonists in the drop pods land, and set up all the stockpiles and zones I will use through the entire game (though occasionally I end up changing the locations of my stockpiles when I find a better place to build my base or something).

I use five 4x4 stockpiles each dedicated to one resource, including metal, stone blocks, wood, plasteel, and cloth.

My raw food is always in a 4x4 square right in front of the stove.

I always set everybody to a priority 1 in the following jobs: Firefighting, Doctoring, Patient, Cooking, Plant Cutting, Hauling, Cleaning, and sometimes crafting once I have several craft tables. Their primary passion skills are set to priority 2, secondary passions are priority 3. And everything else is set to a 4. Though sometimes these need a little temporary tweaking if something is getting neglected but that stops being a problem once I get to 6 colonists.

I almost never hunt unless I get a blight followed by a mass food disappearance due to rotting.

I never grow potatoes. Berries look nicer and they sell for more if you have them to spare, which I usually have a large garden and rely on selling berries for the early game.

I don't build a prison until after I have a working kitchen/dining room and a room for each colonist and a geothermal generator.

I avoid solar generators like a more deadly disease than the plague is in the game currently. If I get a map with less than 2 geysers within close proximity to each other I exit back to main menu and try again.

I try to avoid building any kind of defenses until the raids start getting harder to hold off. Then I start by building sandbags in positions where I will eventually build turrets. Then I build one turret and build sandbags in a location between that turret and my base. Eventually the difficulty ramps up enough that I have to build walls and then a maze into the entrance with single holes in the wall that get filled as soon as any hostile activity is detected.

I've never once launched a spaceship and sent a colonist off the planet. I've built a fully functional space ship but didn't want to quit playing so I never used it. Eventually mechs got me. Now the only ship part I build is the reactor for the extra power it gives you.

I flat out refuse to recruit prostophobes or psychically sensitive/hypersensitive people. If one of them joins my colony due to that random event happening I stand him in front of a wall and have my other colonists execute him. I'm thinking of adding a blindfold item to the game just so this is even more fun.

I downloaded the animal husbandry mod and keep a family of turtles in their own walled off area where I deliver berries to them all the time with their own designated stockpile for food. I don't kill them and I try my hardest to protect them from being killed by mortar shells from the enemy too. I've even resorted to digging into a mountain to build them their own bunker while my colonists were living out in the open in wood huts still. Occasionally I remove the door to their room and let the babies out to run free. Usually some will refuse to leave and I send someone to tame them and add them to the domesticated turtles. I get really sad whenever the event that makes them goes mad happens and my turrets have to take them out.

And that's about all the odd habits I can remember right now. Hope it was at least a little entertaining.

Flater

I only started played three days ago but have already clocked 20hrs+ on the game. I think I'm addicted.

• Joining the colony doesn't make you a full member immediately. Colonists in rehabilitation will be designated as 'hauler monkeys', 'cleaning monkeys' and 'mining monkeys'. In that order, and as the situation requires. Once the first prisoner has been converted, there will always be at least one hauler monkey. Only full members get their own private bedroom, others get a dorm.
  • I always try to have a Doctor+Warden+Researcher as a startup colonist (Edit: as a single person). They are usually the backbone of the colony.
  • I also have a habit of overly micromanaging what gets stored where. I have separate racks for ranged/melee equipment, and a dedicated armory for apparel. The cooking table is adjacent to a two-block meat storage and a two-block veg storage. Usually, the butcher table is also adjacent to the meat. Meals are right next to the dinner table, which is usually between the bedrooms and the front door, so my colonists don't spend too much time on getting the food and eating it. The vendor pile is a high-priority stockpile with a very selective storage.
  • As a tribute to The Walking Dead, we bury the ones we love and burn the others.

richeygator

1.I have 1. large power grid
2.no battery rooms-no battery's can touch
3.I always keep a few battery's disconected for "emergency power"
4.1 colonist is always me
4.5.he always has a deluxe room/weapon
5.I only grow potato's
6.i never hunt
7.I don't build hallways-just sub-rooms of a large room
8.I wall everything-even outdoor farms
9.I don't use hydroponics
10.I use wood floors as a boundary for my wood walls-for fireproofing

Wow,I have alot
i won't have a god complex,everyone else has a mortal complex.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7248.0
play the first rimworld RTD

StorymasterQ

Fireproofing wood walls with wood floors? Isn't that slightly...counterproductive? Try two rows of concrete floors, much better.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Cimanyd

Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 17, 2014, 03:52:07 AM
Fireproofing wood walls with wood floors? Isn't that slightly...counterproductive? Try two rows of concrete floors, much better.
Floors don't burn.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

StorymasterQ

Quote from: Cimanyd on October 17, 2014, 04:00:51 AM
Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 17, 2014, 03:52:07 AM
Floors don't burn.
Well that's just silly. Did not know that. I guess wood floor would be better, then. Beautiful for the colonists, too.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

richeygator

Quote from: StorymasterQ on October 17, 2014, 04:03:28 AM
Well that's just silly. Did not know that. I guess wood floor would be better, then. Beautiful for the colonists, too.
im pretty sure i do it JUST because i can,
part of the god complex that I DONT HAVE

or i just like to imagine the conversation that(in universe) lead to this
steve: >:( our wooden walls keep burning down!
steve:  ??? maybe if we used the 1500 stone blocks we have
Urist mcbuilder: just put some more wood around it and this time lay it down :P
i won't have a god complex,everyone else has a mortal complex.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=7248.0
play the first rimworld RTD

keylocke

Quote from: richeygator on October 17, 2014, 05:26:01 AM
steve: >:( our wooden walls keep burning down!
steve:  ??? maybe if we used the 1500 stone blocks we have
Urist mcbuilder: just put some more wood around it and this time lay it down :P

then their wooden walls got insta-killed by a direct mortar hit..

BassMonroe

I like to have one guy who just does all the hunting for my colony, he gets all the best stuff and usually is the guy with the best shooting (Killing animals = training).

Also my power grids normally consist of multiple battery rooms but with a space in between each battery in case of a fire - learnt that lesson the hard way when a metal wall exploded in A5 and caused my whole battery room to burn down.