[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdB

Quote from: Rex705 on October 02, 2014, 10:21:51 PM
...while I was looking at the endless list of background stories the game shrunk down to a tiny box in the top corner of my screen and I could not do anything with it so i had to quit out and start over.

Wow.  Bizarre issue.  I hope it wasn't the mod that caused it, but it's hard to say for sure.

In general, if you run into the kind of issue that completely breaks your game, and you suspect that it may be the fault of a particular mod, it can be helpful to track down the game's log file and send that to the mod maker.  The log file is named output_log.txt and is in the game directory (i.e. RimWorld581Win\RimWorld581Win_Data\output_log.txt).  You can email that to me or find the errors at the end of the file and paste them in a private message to me--it's probably too much detail for the main forum topic.  The errors in those files can be really useful in tracking down where a failure happened and if it's a mod that's causing it.  The mod file gets rewritten every time you start a game, so any errors recorded from a previous game will be lost when you start a new game.

Of course, my goal is to make the mod stable so that you don't have to deal with the hassle of game crashes and tracking down log files, but I appreciate any help.  It's impossible for me to test everything.

Adeelos

Quote from: Timber on October 02, 2014, 07:33:23 PM
I'm having trouble getting this to work... Can't see the button at character creation screen and also my worldmap bugs out...

I'm having a similar problem in that the Prepare Carefully button doesn't appear in my game. Starting the world isn't producing any problems, but again I'd love to be able to change my pawns.

Edit: I think I may have discovered the problem, at least on mine. I discovered that for some reason Alpha 6 and Alpha 7 were sharing the same save data logs, despite all of their folder data being kept separate. After deleting Alpha 6 completely off of my computer, the mod suddenly started working again. Maybe some kind of conflict is caused in the game's coding when older versions are present?

daft73

I'm speechless EdB, you are my hero, and I'm not talking sandwiches.

Aenir

I usually just spam randomize until I get a group of colonists that I like, so I'm going to give this mod a shot and see how it goes.

Putzin

I always try and setup my first 3 colonists with 2 miners and a grower but my miners never want to be miners.. How can I fix this? And no they're not incapable they just refuse?

Xenobia

Quote from: Putzin on October 03, 2014, 10:09:56 PM
I always try and setup my first 3 colonists with 2 miners and a grower but my miners never want to be miners.. How can I fix this? And no they're not incapable they just refuse?

Are you sure it's assigned to them under Overview?

daft73

This by far is one of my favorite features of this mod. Thank you again EdB.

Casearcana

First off -- thanks, EdB! I really appreciate the work you are doing. The interface mod and the prepare carefully mod have made this game significantly more enjoyable.

Second -- I've noticed a potential bug. Loading just "Prepare Carefully" causes no issues but if I have other mods loaded funny things start to happen. With other mods on, I can load up the "Prepare Carefully" interface fine but when I click to the inventory preparation screen all the buttons (back, next, save preset, load preset -- I think that's all of  them) disappear and I can't add or remove items. Since there are no buttons available I'm forced to close the entire game and reload.

If I open the game, deselect all mods except "Prepare Carefully", hit "OK", and then go back into the mod menu and reload all the other mods everything works just fine.

I'd be happy to send you the error log but I'm afraid I'm uncertain as to how to access it.

EdB

Quote from: Casearcana on October 04, 2014, 05:36:40 PM
...I've noticed a potential bug. Loading just "Prepare Carefully" causes no issues but if I have other mods loaded funny things start to happen. With other mods on, I can load up the "Prepare Carefully" interface fine but when I click to the inventory preparation screen all the buttons (back, next, save preset, load preset -- I think that's all of  them) disappear and I can't add or remove items...

Thanks for the bug report.  It definitely sounds like a problem with one or more items in one of the other mods that you're using.  Can you list out the mods that you tried it with?  I'll need to fix that.

Rex705

I have a few mods and It works but I had that same issue of missing buttons when I installed the UI mod.

Casearcana

Hey,

Just figured it out I think -- I turned off the "More Storage" mod and everything was fine. I think that mod and another were confusing each others' item definitions and that led to issues in the inventory screen of your mod. I'm not a programmer by any stretch but that seems to be what's happening.

Thanks for your prompt reply!

EdB

Quote from: Casearcana on October 04, 2014, 05:46:08 PM
...I turned off the "More Storage" mod and everything was fine. I think that mod and another were confusing each others' item definitions and that led to issues in the inventory screen of your mod...

That kind of makes sense--More Storage alone doesn't seem to be a problem for me.  I'm trying a bunch of other mods with it and can't get it to happen.  Any guesses on which one it might be?

Casearcana

I've attached the error log. Followed are the mods active when the error is triggered. I'm going to try disabling other mods one at a time to see what the other culprit might be.

EdB Interface (2.2.1)
EbB prepare carefully
Extended Stoneworking
Extra Research Tables 1.3
Modular Tables
Modular Solars 1.6
More Storage
Natural Terrain Flooring
Surgery Extended
The T Mod Suite (ConditionRed, ExpandedCloth, Expanded Crops, Misc Stuff, MoreBeds, MoreFloors)
Workplaces

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Casearcana

Ugh. Sorry for the wild goose chase. I just downloaded the right version of More Storage. One of the links on the forum posting is still for A6 which I accidentally downloaded. Once I got the updated version everything was fine and dandy.

EdB

Quote from: Casearcana on October 04, 2014, 10:30:44 PM
...I just downloaded the right version of More Storage. One of the links on the forum posting is still for A6 which I accidentally downloaded. Once I got the updated version everything was fine and dandy.

Got it.  No problem.  Thanks for chasing down the cause.