[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragoon

Quote from: EdB on January 23, 2015, 09:54:50 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on January 23, 2015, 02:09:10 PM
I noticed the prices are very expensive in the loading zone and from the traders they are usually lower (sometimes higher)

There will always be a question of how to best balance the points.  I'd like to use the market value prices for all items--which is the starting point for the prices you see with traders--but I find it to be unbalanced in the context of selecting your starting equipment.  The best example is that the plasteel knife that you start off with has a market value of about 1150 silver, while a pistol is worth 60 silver.  That means you can trade in your one knife for almost 20 pistols, which just doesn't make sense. 

Balancing is difficult, and I'm sure I haven't gotten it quite right, but I decided to make things that are made from stuff cheaper than their market value and ranged weapons more expensive.

Oh well better to be a bit to expensive, then to hear 20-30 people whine because raiders spawn in with rocket launchers :(.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Cibi

Why do some of the backgrounds not align with my selected genders/names? Is this an unavoidable issue?

Dragoon

Quote from: Scienta on January 26, 2015, 05:20:05 AM
Why do some of the backgrounds not align with my selected genders/names? Is this an unavoidable issue?

Yes (I think). It's set to be random I think only you can change it but I have noticed that ones with name specific back grounds usually don't wig out so......Besides a lot of it's sorta broken in that department (Ex: mercenary recruit does not = mercenary the one with no specific name) I think it has to do with the in game code.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

EdB

Quote from: Scienta on January 26, 2015, 05:20:05 AM

Keep in mind that backstories were offered as a Kickstarter reward, so while most of them are written in a way that the names and pronouns can be substituted in, some of them are written with specific names and pronouns already in there.

The mod could rewrite the backstory text to make them all name/gender-neutral, so it's not entirely unavoidable.  That would take a lot of work to maintain between alpha releases though, so it's probably not something that I will do.

shhfiftyfive

just one simple request here: would love the mod to also keep the big vanilla "randomize" (all) button in there.

sometimes i just wanna roll that dice and see what comes up, but in the case of this mod i can't do that once i've entered prep mode.

HBKRKO619

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on January 26, 2015, 11:50:34 AM
just one simple request here: would love the mod to also keep the big vanilla "randomize" (all) button in there.

sometimes i just wanna roll that dice and see what comes up, but in the case of this mod i can't do that once i've entered prep mode.

That would be great, yeah ^^

EdB

I agree that this really should be there.  I'll plan on finding a place for it when I do the next update--probably when alpha 9 comes out.

shhfiftyfive

Quote from: EdB on January 26, 2015, 11:03:37 PM

I agree that this really should be there.  I'll plan on finding a place for it when I do the next update--probably when alpha 9 comes out.

- would it be possible to also add a "sort by" function to the list of weapons/armor/etc. for the screen that comes up after you hit "next" but before you load the new colony (when you are selecting how many materials you want to bring).

it is sorted alphabetically by default, but i'd be interested if we could also sort by "cost". if not possible, no big deal. would be a quality of life addition.

- another request would be, i noticed if i have Misc+MAI installed, it adds an "android" trait to prepare carefully. could it be possible you add that trait to your mod by default? so maybe i wouldn't have to use MAI just for that purpose :p

Vonholtz

Wow I just found this mod all be it I just got Rimworld back at Christmas. Thank you for this mod. just being able to save a character and use them latter is worth put this mod in as it is. All the other stuff it dose like point base characters and setting your drop in gear is just a bones added on.  8) Nice work.

EdB

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on February 04, 2015, 03:00:48 PM
- would it be possible to also add a "sort by" function to the list of weapons/armor/etc. for the screen that comes up after you hit "next" but before you load the new colony (when you are selecting how many materials you want to bring).

it is sorted alphabetically by default, but i'd be interested if we could also sort by "cost". if not possible, no big deal. would be a quality of life addition.

I agree that this is a good idea.  I will probably include this option in the next release.

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on February 04, 2015, 03:00:48 PM
- another request would be, i noticed if i have Misc+MAI installed, it adds an "android" trait to prepare carefully. could it be possible you add that trait to your mod by default? so maybe i wouldn't have to use MAI just for that purpose :p

This I probably won't include.  It's a bit outside of the scope of what the mod is trying to accomplish.

Rhisereld

I really enjoy this mod - unfortunately it seems to break quite a few things. This is the only mod I have installed.

- People from other factions almost always wear 2-3 hats and never pants... clothing seems to stack indefinitely.
- Successful healing is always 0% with a carefully prepared surgeon, even at skill level 12.
- Overview screen broke after a while, see screenshot. I have six colonists, and Vinny can do a lot more than firefighting.

Unfortunately disabling the mod doesn't fix the overview screen issue, I may need to start another colony.

EdB

Quote from: Rhisereld on February 07, 2015, 10:14:27 PM
- People from other factions almost always wear 2-3 hats and never pants... clothing seems to stack indefinitely.
Generally speaking, after the game starts the Prepare Carefully mod really is not in the picture anymore.  It's difficult for me to think of how it could be causing this issue.  Are you saying that whenever characters from other factions appear on the map to visit or raid the colony, they are wearing more than one hat?  That's odd.

- Successful healing is always 0% with a carefully prepared surgeon, even at skill level 12.
- Overview screen broke after a while, see screenshot. I have six colonists, and Vinny can do a lot more than firefighting.
This sounds like the mod might have created a bad character that is breaking things for you.  Sorry about that.  If I remember correctly I fixed a similar type of bug several versions ago, but nobody else has reported it since then.  Any additional detail about that particular character would be helpful.  It seems like something is broken with their doctoring skill.  Feel free to send me the savegame file if you'd like me to take a closer look--it's possible that it's fixable so that you don't have to start a new colony.

shhfiftyfive

it's worth noting in the OP: the presets you create with this mod will need to be deleted and remade manually each time you remove another mod that was present at the time of the preset save.

if you happen to disable any mod in your mod load order that was present when you saved a prepare carefully preset. that will break your prepare carefully presets.

the symptoms of a broken preset are:
- many materials in the material stage of prepare carefully will not have icons. (signs of a previously installed mod being removed)
- the "points budget" calculations will be way off and give you a bigger than normal budget.

not sure if adding a new mod will create same issue, but removing a mod will definitely break your presets.

EdB

Quote from: shhfiftyfive on February 09, 2015, 12:06:17 PM
it's worth noting in the OP: the presets you create with this mod will need to be deleted and remade manually each time you remove another mod that was present at the time of the preset save.

if you happen to disable any mod in your mod load order that was present when you saved a prepare carefully preset. that will break your prepare carefully presets.

the symptoms of a broken preset are:
- many materials in the material stage of prepare carefully will not have icons. (signs of a previously installed mod being removed)
- the "points budget" calculations will be way off and give you a bigger than normal budget.

not sure if adding a new mod will create same issue, but removing a mod will definitely break your presets.

Thanks for the bug report.  I will fix this to make the behavior more consistent, but note that this only happens if you don't quit the game in between disabling the mods.  If you quit and restart, you should not see this weirdness.  In either case, there is a message that is displayed in the upper-left message area that tells you that the preset failed to load and tells you which mods were enabled when you saved it.  This is the intended behavior.

If you have a lot of mods enabled and can't read the entire list in the message, you can see the full message in the console.

Vonholtz

I really enjoy this mod - unfortunately it seems to break quite a few things. This is the only mod I have installed.

Unfortunately disabling the mod doesn't fix the overview screen issue, I may need to start another colony.
I get that bug when I put on a mod that needs a new started so it not just this mod. I find that it best when adding big mods that change thing about the game to even started a new planet.