[MOD] (Alpha 7) PurpleIvy - Now with rare melee drops and all consuming Ivy

Started by skullywag, October 18, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skullywag

So after the conversation here:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6579.0

I decided to see how hard it would be to implement a "creep" like plant to the game, that was simplish to achieve, then I started thinking how would the plant get here, so an incident was made using "meteors" (droppods). Tweaked it a little, made it kill walking speed and made it need to use other plantlife to spread, The meteorite will continue to spread the plant if there is a space around, so dont just kill the plants (which also spread on their own) and leave it. Killing the rock will net you 300 Metal, to kill the plants, fire is your friend. The ivy will consume floors that arent natural, plants and corpses, it will also damage anything that gets caught in it (it literally tears you to pieces)

I may take this and expand upon it but im not sure yet, this was just a proof of concept and and a challenge to myself to mess in an area id not messed in yet.

So I have picked this up and added to it, theres now a centipede hatchlings that will spawn from eggsacs that are randomly generated in the ivy along with gaseous pustules (just for looks currently). The hatchlings are psychotic by default so will hunt your colonists down, this will change once i come up with some appropriate thingdefs.

Ive also added the Plant based turrets and mortars, theyll need tweaks but they hurt a little for now.

Ive added some rare drops to the mortar and the turret, both drop a tendril one does cut damage is slower and does more damage the other does stab damage is quicker but does less damage. Again Art by Shinzy...thanks bud!

Youll need to start a new world for the faction to generate correctly.

All artwork was done by SHINZY.

MASSIVE THANKS TO SHINZY! his arts awesome!

AGAIN ALL HAIL SHINZY FOR HIS AWESOMENESS!

This mod wouldnt be half as good if it werent for him.

On a side note I think this is also all the code the meteor mod needs to update to A7, ill post it there if anyone fancies updating that mod.

Grab it from Github:

https://github.com/Skullywag/Rimworld-Mods/archive/master.zip (this will also get you all my other mods)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

JuliaEllie

Oh I love this mod. The idea of space weeds is absolutely awesome. I have 1 or 2 suggestions:

Instead of incrementing a variable every tick and checking its value you could do a modulo == 0 on the current ticker count which could save some cpu circles.
Maybe Im just blind but it would be cool if the Ivy would do damage to buildings and/or pawns to encourage fighting it.
I havnt tried but a reproduction circle of 30 ticks seems a bit too fast but I could be wrong.

Noobshock

I'd make it a little more bright/flashy looking, but I'm nitpicking here.

I'll give it a shot soon, this is cool.

ousire

So, basically a very invasive weed that slows movement and eats other plants around it? Sounds neat!

skullywag

As i said guys this was about the mechanics and seeing if it was possible, Not sure where I want to take this but ill take onboard what youve said and brainstorm some more.

Rex705

This could become a cool new danger for the colonist. It starts out harmless just slowing you down but if left alone it starts to spawn tentacle plants that will melee anyone walking by and plants that shoot little acid balls. If you play on large maps like me max size then these things could land miles away and you would be to lazy to deal with it until you realize IT'S TAKING OVER THE WORLD!

skullywag

Put it this way I made a typo in the code and had a purple map in about oooh 3 seconds...lol

edit - random question....anyone know what the backstory is for mechanoids?

skullywag

JuliaEllie could you explain how the modulo would work, ive always had issues implementing them, but always happy to learn a new trick.

JuliaEllie

Quote from: skullywag on October 18, 2014, 03:49:36 PM
JuliaEllie could you explain how the modulo would work, ive always had issues implementing them, but always happy to learn a new trick.

A modulo is an integer  division which returns the remaining part. 5%2 = 1 (5/2 = 2 remaining 1) So if you make it x%y == 0 it will be only true for x which can be divided evenly by y. If you apply this on the tickercount (in your case it is 30)  x%30 == 0 only the ticker counts that are divisible by 30 without any remaining number  return true. Conclusion: the ticker will return true every 30 ticks.

JuliaEllie

Quote from: skullywag on October 18, 2014, 09:48:45 AM

Killing the rock will net you 300 Metal, to kill the plants, fire is your friend.

Well I made a small flamethrower for this :D

DOWNLOAD

P.S. feel free to incorporate it into your mod :D

skullywag

skullywag

Just a quick update to first say thankyou to Shinzy for the new artwork on this, its hard to make out all the work he did but trust me when i say these things are awesome.

And secondly to state I will be expanding this I have some ideas and am dev'ing them right this second. Might be a while before im done cuz this aint gonna be a small task though. Ideas are welcome, I do have a core "story" behind this that ill reveal when its released but other ideas that compliment it might get in.

Shinzy

Oh I was actually just playing, didn't realize I still had this mod enabled =P from when I tested the textures
I got the meteor drop and just shrugged it off like "Oh! okay, I'll deal with that later"

I forgot it entirely
This was really fun sight when I zoomed out of my colony much much later and saw this!

yaay! ;D
It spread a little =P

skullywag

Haha nice! I was even debating removing the notification...but I feel thats TOO evil. Got EggSac buildings in, they generate randomly throughout the tangled weave, Just got to get the pawn built and start spawning them now....debating on gas clouds from the sacks or from another building type....or from the creep itself, could do it randomly...hmmm time to test some more...

Its VERY susceptible to fire, the only issue is the built in too much fire = rain mechanic, it kinda stifles battling huge spreads like yours.

Killaim

could be fun if it grew faster over bloody areas - and if a dead colonist is in it it grows super fast around that corpse