[MOD] (Alpha 8) IceSheet (Ice Biome, Now with water world!)(1.2a)

Started by iame6162013, December 10, 2014, 02:07:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Axel

I just realized that once the custom events are updated you could (kinda) recreate "The Thing"

iame6162013

Quote from: Axel on December 15, 2014, 09:50:23 AM
I just realized that once the custom events are updated you could (kinda) recreate "The Thing"
oh god....
Quote from: absentminded on December 15, 2014, 08:26:21 AM
Quote from: Rikiki on December 15, 2014, 07:09:42 AM
They won't last for long as they will never find any grass to eat...
The ice sheet animals must have a new AI to find their food by another way.

That could be a good thing, stray animals lost, running for shelter, die outside your fort, if you're lucky.

The other alternative would be animals who eat dead people, so they'd hunt and kill colonists or scavenging the battlefields after fending off attackers, but that'd probably be a whole 'nother mods worth of modding.

yea, i also never created a .dll  mod :p
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Igabod

I just got done with my first playing session with this mod. My initial thoughts are that there should be at least a couple pine and birch trees on the map, even if the commonality is set very very low. In reality there are still trees growing in the north pole region even if it is nowhere near as densely forested as we might be used to in the more temperate areas.

It would also be pretty helpful if you found a way to throw at least one parka on the ground at startup but that can be solved with EdB's Prepare Carefully mod I guess so no biggie if you don't get that done.

Other than that, I absolutely loved it. I also found a use for steam geysers as a far more powerful heater that worked to heat a fairly large underground base all by itself. Definitely gotta wall it off and lock the door to it when the base is small though cause that thing gets deadly hot. I'm going to use this mod again many times I can foresee. And I'm probably going to pair it up with Shinzy's Norbals mod too.

ITOS

Quote from: Igabod on December 15, 2014, 10:43:53 AM
I just got done with my first playing session with this mod. My initial thoughts are that there should be at least a couple pine and birch trees on the map, even if the commonality is set very very low. In reality there are still trees growing in the north pole region even if it is nowhere near as densely forested as we might be used to in the more temperate areas.
Personally I disagree with the notion that trees should be added. Not only does the current setup provide a unique challenge compared to other biome but the ice biome is also generated at hight altitudes where trees does not live. A second biome to bridge the gap between tundra and ice might be needed?

iame6162013

Quote from: ITOS on December 15, 2014, 11:06:37 AM
Personally I disagree with the notion that trees should be added. Not only does the current setup provide a unique challenge compared to other biome but the ice biome is also generated at hight altitudes where trees does not live. A second biome to bridge the gap between tundra and ice might be needed?
But that would require more map hooks and for as far as i know those aren't modifiable :/
Linus Torvalds: "But it clearly is the only right way. The fact that everybody else does it some other way only means that they are wrong"
Robert J. Hanlon: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

iame6162013

i'm sorry but i don't think trees can survive in -80°c

Other than that, I absolutely loved it. I also found a use for steam geysers as a far more powerful heater that worked to heat a fairly large underground base all by itself. Definitely gotta wall it off and lock the door to it when the base is small though cause that thing gets deadly hot. I'm going to use this mod again many times I can foresee. And I'm probably going to pair it up with Shinzy's Norbals mod too.
Thank you!

Rhadamant

I really like this biome mod the way it is. It reminds me of Skybox for Minecraft, where you had very limited resources and the game became more puzzle than survival. For instance, I had to build a lot of things out of stone and metal, saving wood for precious things like heat and advanced crafting (that requires wood). This biome posed a lot of unique challenges. In response to people asking for animals, my thinking is that a unique event could solve this issue. Much like how sometimes random animals go crazy and try to kill you, there could be an event where an arctic animal, like a snow leopard or polar bear, tries to kill you. That way you can obtain non-human meat, but not safely.

Maybe provide a version that has no hydrothermal vents? I think they're too easy of a work around for both heat and power generation.

iame6162013

Quote from: rhadamant on December 15, 2014, 11:18:06 AM
I really like this biome mod the way it is. It reminds me of Skybox for Minecraft, where you had very limited resources and the game became more puzzle than survival. For instance, I had to build a lot of things out of stone and metal, saving wood for precious things like heat and advanced crafting (that requires wood). This biome posed a lot of unique challenges. In response to people asking for animals, my thinking is that a unique event could solve this issue. Much like how sometimes random animals go crazy and try to kill you, there could be an event where an arctic animal, like a snow leopard or polar bear, tries to kill you. That way you can obtain non-human meat, but not safely.

Maybe provide a version that has no hydrothermal vents? I think they're too easy of a work around for both heat and power generation.
Yup, that's my goal to keep you puzzling those pieces of wood :)
(there are ways to get more so in the end you can't run out forever.)

hmm so you say a non human raider(animal)?

and i can't remove hydrothermal vents for as far as i know.

Rhadamant

Quote from: iame6162013 on December 15, 2014, 11:22:15 AM
Quote from: rhadamant on December 15, 2014, 11:18:06 AM

Yup, that's my goal to keep you puzzling those pieces of wood :)
(there are ways to get more so in the end you can't run out forever.)

hmm so you say a non human raider(animal)?

and i can't remove hydrothermal vents for as far as i know.

I guess there's no need to remove them, I can just ignore them for the challenge. Yeah, a non human raider, like a pack of wolves, a polar bear or a snow leopard would be a pretty cool way to get food.

Igabod

Quote from: Rhadamant on December 15, 2014, 10:17:35 PM
Yeah, a non human raider, like a pack of wolves, a polar bear or a snow leopard would be a pretty cool way to get food.

I like the pack of wolves idea. It's like the pack of beavers incident so it shouldn't be too hard to add in. And you could make their target be any meat instead of trees. Making them aggro to colonists might be a bit harder to do though but I've never looked into that so I don't know.

iame6162013

Quote from: Igabod on December 15, 2014, 10:27:21 PM
Quote from: Rhadamant on December 15, 2014, 10:17:35 PM
Yeah, a non human raider, like a pack of wolves, a polar bear or a snow leopard would be a pretty cool way to get food.

I like the pack of wolves idea. It's like the pack of beavers incident so it shouldn't be too hard to add in. And you could make their target be any meat instead of trees. Making them aggro to colonists might be a bit harder to do though but I've never looked into that so I don't know.
yea, me neither so 'll look what i can do.

ItchyFlea

I am so loving this mod. A -90oC winter has arrived for my shivering colonists. It doesn't matter what my colonists wear, they cannot go outside the base for any useful length of time. ;D

I'm looking forward to the pack of wolves idea, so much that I went ahead and made this for you to use: Wolfsies Incident

That basically adds a new incident worker (Modified version of the AlphaBeaver incident code gained via ILSpy) that will trigger only in the IceSheet biome and will spawn a bunch of animals called "Wolfsies". They are lightly modified squirrels. They don't attack colonists though. I couldn't figure that part out in the short amount of time I had to put this together.

[attachment deleted due to age]
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Igabod

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 16, 2014, 09:38:34 PM
I am so loving this mod. A -90oC winter has arrived for my shivering colonists. It doesn't matter what my colonists wear, they cannot go outside the base for any useful length of time. ;D

I'm looking forward to the pack of wolves idea, so much that I went ahead and made this for you to use: Wolfsies Incident

That basically adds a new incident worker (Modified version of the AlphaBeaver incident code gained via ILSpy) that will trigger only in the IceSheet biome and will spawn a bunch of animals called "Wolfsies". They are lightly modified squirrels. They don't attack colonists though. I couldn't figure that part out in the short amount of time I had to put this together.

You are one cool cat. :-p Yes, that's a double pun in all it's punny glory. Do the wolfsies target meat products?

iame6162013

Quote from: ItchyFlea on December 16, 2014, 09:38:34 PM

Hmmm, One question i haven't played with it yet but could i use the thing you made and put it in the mod?
(with credit of course!)
i could also put a link to the mod you created cause it could be nice.