[A12d] More Mechanoids (v1.07b - updated 31.12.2015)

Started by Orion, January 11, 2015, 08:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zorroexe

Is there any intention of allowing us to utilize the weapons of the mechanoid we revive?

Heavy Massive Hualing job for Centipede? (carry 3 to 4 slots of different items at once)

Redshadow

Quote from: Zorroexe on March 31, 2015, 01:01:01 AM
Is there any intention of allowing us to utilize the weapons of the mechanoid we revive?

Heavy Massive Hualing job for Centipede? (carry 3 to 4 slots of different items at once)

But how would they lift items? They're basically metal slugs with hundreds of tiny legs, and probably some stubs on the sides to attach miniguns & incendiary cannons to them.  But if there's some augmentation you could give them (like connecting bionic arms to those stubs) then that'd definitely be something they should do(the multi-hauling thing).
Just pointing out the only flaw I see with this idea.
Yes, I made my icon in a game called LittleBigPlanet...

Orion

Probably I'll let you use the centipede for mining. Having it haul stuff would be super ineffective and annoying.

I am considering letting you craft a flamethrower from the flamebot.

Latta

Here is an updated version of my "compatible with Misc. mod" dll, based on 1.03f .
For those who are experiencing blackout error after loading existing game with PAL Core, try this one.

Side effect: Controlled mechanoids will not be same every time you load.

[attachment deleted due to age]

AllenWL

Quote from: Orion on March 31, 2015, 10:19:40 AM
Probably I'll let you use the centipede for mining. Having it haul stuff would be super ineffective and annoying.

I am considering letting you craft a flamethrower from the flamebot.
Torching a flambot with a flamebot-on-a-stick? Cool!

Redshadow

Was playing this mod and i came up with a few ideas(again)

-PAL core health-based insanity, basically the more beaten up the PAL network & its existing mechanoids/buildings become, the more chance it has to spark an undeclared event 'PAL insanity'.
-PAL network degradation. Just does a point of damage to a random PAL building every so often(it'll emphasize the requirement of maintaining the network, if you want to avoid PAL insanity)
-PAL appliance operator. adds a new slot system similar to the PAL's pre-existing '# out of # mechanoids controlled'. But instead of mechanoids, they control various PAL-based buildings.
-PAL door. If an enemy is nearby, the door locks itself, pretty basic, right? But if PAL core insanity is ever added then one of the first signs of that could be doors occasionally locking if colonists are nearby/opening when enemies are nearby and letting them through
-Turrets operated by PAL, they'd be suprisingly powerful, but require a PAL link to be below them(as all other PAL buildings need). The turrets start malfunctioning(attacking random pawns, or generally not attacking anything) if the PAL core goes insane.
-Speaker buildings that can be placed anywhere on a PAL link, they talk to nearby colonists and give them mood buffs(the vanilla social buff), but once they get below a certain % of health, they give off the debuff version(since the speaker's damaged to the point where it's just making really high pitched noises)
-PAL Psychic emitter. Adds a small positive psychic effect to your colonists(also effected by psy sensitivity traits) and adds a small negative effect to enemies(maybe increases in effectiveness they longer they stay in the area). But PAL insanity flips that the other way and makes enemies happier and colonists more likely to break.
-PAL Neural Core(Building & Brain implant). similar to the PAL core, but instead of controlling bots, it controls pawns with the implant. It could be a way to force recruit a prisoner(Turn them into a remote control human)
-PAL drones. Wasn't really sure what i should call them, but anyway. I was looking for stationary pawn that is basically a colonist, but can't move & doesn't need any kind of food or rest. Good for using things like mortars, even placing them behind cover and giving them guns so they can defend your colony for you.(Also has mental breaks when PAL goes insane. Could also be a nice way to use the mechanoid colonist texture you were given, too)
-PAL Core Nexus. 2X2 PAL core building that has two(or more) times more bots being able to be controlled. VERY very expensive though

Ray_Anor

Quote from: Redshadow on April 05, 2015, 07:38:43 AM

-PAL core health-based insanity, basically the more beaten up the PAL network & its existing mechanoids/buildings become, the more chance it has to spark an undeclared event 'PAL insanity'.
-PAL network degradation. Just does a point of damage to a random PAL building every so often(it'll emphasize the requirement of maintaining the network, if you want to avoid PAL insanity)
-PAL appliance operator. adds a new slot system similar to the PAL's pre-existing '# out of # mechanoids controlled'. But instead of mechanoids, they control various PAL-based buildings.
-PAL door. If an enemy is nearby, the door locks itself, pretty basic, right? But if PAL core insanity is ever added then one of the first signs of that could be doors occasionally locking if colonists are nearby/opening when enemies are nearby and letting them through
-Turrets operated by PAL, they'd be suprisingly powerful, but require a PAL link to be below them(as all other PAL buildings need). The turrets start malfunctioning(attacking random pawns, or generally not attacking anything) if the PAL core goes insane.
-Speaker buildings that can be placed anywhere on a PAL link, they talk to nearby colonists and give them mood buffs(the vanilla social buff), but once they get below a certain % of health, they give off the debuff version(since the speaker's damaged to the point where it's just making really high pitched noises)
-PAL Psychic emitter. Adds a small positive psychic effect to your colonists(also effected by psy sensitivity traits) and adds a small negative effect to enemies(maybe increases in effectiveness they longer they stay in the area). But PAL insanity flips that the other way and makes enemies happier and colonists more likely to break.
-PAL Neural Core(Building & Brain implant). similar to the PAL core, but instead of controlling bots, it controls pawns with the implant. It could be a way to force recruit a prisoner(Turn them into a remote control human)
-PAL drones. Wasn't really sure what i should call them, but anyway. I was looking for stationary pawn that is basically a colonist, but can't move & doesn't need any kind of food or rest. Good for using things like mortars, even placing them behind cover and giving them guns so they can defend your colony for you.(Also has mental breaks when PAL goes insane. Could also be a nice way to use the mechanoid colonist texture you were given, too)
-PAL Core Nexus. 2X2 PAL core building that has two(or more) times more bots being able to be controlled. VERY very expensive though

why do you think that too many stuff in one mod is cool?
if it will be implemented - i'm need an option to switch off some of this "cool" functions of mod  >:(

Redshadow

I simply stated a few ideas, i never stated 'ADD ALL OF THESE'.
Please understand the difference between demand and suggestion.

Egomane

Wow, pretty cool mod.
works really fine but i got a problem with the connection between the mechs and the PAL.
i can't find a way to connect them.
it just says that i don't controll any mechanoid, but i have 7 which already work for me.
can someone tell me, what i do wrong?

rexx1888

if were throwing out suggestions, how hard is it to make PAL a character?

Orion

I was thinking about some of these as well. Particularly PAL being able to "snap" and turn against the colonists. But after a long time of thinking about it I decided that it's not making it more fun for the player in the long run. Also having the mechanoids work for you is already a big boost, while having to maintain PAL is already quite a burden. Stretching it even further probably won't improve the experience.

Quote from: rexx1888 on April 08, 2015, 07:44:26 AM
It's possible, it's some amount of work. The question remaining is... why? And what are the benefits?

AllenWL

This is sorta totally random, but a scyther has the ability to make vocal communications.
And sometimes, when I need to really keep a colonist sane, I draft a few colonists and make them stand with the colonist who is in a bad mood, and have them talk to each other.
What if a scyther can be chipped for 'therapy' or 'communications' or whatever, and it's just go around and chat with colonists, making them happier by dispensing social chats?

rexx1888

Quote from: Orion on April 08, 2015, 12:15:26 PM
Quote from: rexx1888 on April 08, 2015, 07:44:26 AM
It's possible, it's some amount of work. The question remaining is... why? And what are the benefits?

to the why, id like to say because you can, but theres more to it than that. i was actually thinking exactly along the lines of the multi body thread. rather than have each mech a character, i want to see PAL as the single character thats duplicated into each mech. have him have his own interests and abilities and be able to break all by his lonesome. of course, best outcome is that the character is synced over the multiple bodies, but that might be a bit difficult. Still, maybe have a character update where whenever you pull the mechs in they get synced. Then, you can have PAL get a negative mood mod from being turned off, and as future mechanics are released he gets to be more an more interesting, and also capable of getting more an more skills up to silly levels.

Orion

Hmm, I see. Interesting ideas. PAL could have his own thoughts / memories that reflect different goals than those of the colonists. And if there are too many negative ones, PAL cracks.

I like it, but it's quite a lot of work again. To be honest I don't have too much time for modding these days - I don't even get around to play :-\

Redshadow

Quote from: Orion on April 08, 2015, 12:15:26 PM
I was thinking about some of these as well. Particularly PAL being able to "snap" and turn against the colonists. But after a long time of thinking about it I decided that it's not making it more fun for the player in the long run. Also having the mechanoids work for you is already a big boost, while having to maintain PAL is already quite a burden. Stretching it even further probably won't improve the experience.

That's why i suggested that it turns on you after the network sustained enough damage. It'll be something that players have to keep an eye on &, well, maintain.
But how about - Something like a mechanoid hacker(a unit that tries to get to your PAL network to corrupt it & make it go all insane on yo'). Or a transmitter(which could be an event like the Mechanoid Terraformer mod, it drops down and slowly makes your PAL more hostile towards you the longer you leave the transmitter transmitting)
But if not, then it could merely be a dev menu launched event.

Also another thing that i thought of when reading the comments. Making the PAL into an opinionated personality, in a sense...
What i mean is, people can talk with it, and it builds opinions based on those interactions (if the colonist is Abrasive, he's basically just walking around with a crosshair on his head). Colonists the PAL likes will be protected & treated by controlled doctor bots & other positive things, but if it doesn't like a colonist it'll make it known by occasionally trapping them in places that they won't survive for very long in (such as trapping them in an empty freezer, or in a room with an enemy). Or outright attacking them.

Anyways, thought i'd report something, whilst i was playing there was an animal inanity wave, and it made all my Scythers go insane for a couple of seconds, gutted my only colonist pretty good, locked him in a saferoom and waited until all the scythers calmed down before letting him out again, he survived & got healed by a scyther doc, so yeah... All was cool.
Just thought i'd report that the mechanoids can be psy-waved. I think it's a pretty cool feature though.