[A9] Biodiversity v3.0 A9 Don't Bug Out! Mar. 09, 2015

Started by Igabod, January 22, 2015, 01:18:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Igabod

Adds a variety of new animals to each map type. More diversity!

Some animals are now aggressive to any pawn (colonists, raiders, visitors, even other animals) that get within 3 tiles of them. This makes the animals seem all the more realistic. You can't expect to get too close to a wild animal without it attacking you. Luckily, most of them will leave you alone as soon as your colonist gets far enough away. Some are vicious carnivores who will continue attacking till they or their target is incapacitated. On the plus side, sometimes your colonists can be saved from an enemy raid if the raiders are careless enough to wander into a pack of vicious carnivores. Smaller and more docile creatures tend to have a high mortality rate in the early game, but this levels off as the aggressive creatures clear a nice area around them. This was all made possible by the kind donation of a .dll file and a few .xml files from Haplo, our resident modding genius. (Mini-disclaimer: Some of the animals may need their strength tweaked but I need user feedback for this.)

This mod is not compatible in it's current form with Xtra Plants or any other mod that alters the Biomes.xml file. There are compatibility patches available for some mods and others will be done if requested. All compatibility patches are available in the Download Links section below in this post.

Compatibility patches exist for the following mods:

Xtra Plants by Igabod
Harsher Tundra by MarvinKosh

For those of you who use the Alpha Muffalo mod by Kirid, it is now integrated into this mod as of V1.2. Kirid will maintain that mod separately still if you just want to use that though. Just make sure you de-activate Alpha Muffalo if you plan to use this mod.

None of the textures in this mod except the Quadhog were done by me. The Rimdog and Rimwolf textures came from the old Project K9 mod and are used with permission. The Furx, Lacosdile, Megaslug, Rim Ram, Snork and Spindlecrib. are all creations of Shinzy and are used with his permission.

Shinzy has now created a mod which allows you to craft hats using some of the new animals in this mod. You should check out the Wildhunt mod.

I am currently taking contributions to this mod in the form of textures for new animals. If you have any new animals you can either post them on here or send me a link to a download in a private message. You will be fully credited for your work along with the other artists who contributed. I'm also taking contributions in the form of XML or C# code to enhance the mod. You would be credited for this work as well.

This mod is still currently in very early stages. Some oddness may be found, such as wolves that sound an awful lot like squirrels. And animals with bodyparts they shouldn't have (like hooves maybe?). These small details will be ironed out with future releases as I make custom bodytypes for each of the new animals and find some sounds that might match the animals a little better.

I do not own the artwork (except the Quadhog) used in this mod and as such cannot give you permission to use it in mods or modpacks. You are free to use the XML in your own mods and supply your own textures, or you could ask the respective artists (or the person who represents that artist in some cases) for permission to use their work. The Quadhog texture is free for you to use in your own mods as long as you post a link to that mod when it is finished on a comment in this thread. Yeah, that's not the usual request, but it seems like a good idea to me. No need to link back to this mod if you don't want. But it would be nice to be mentioned as the artist for the Quadhog in the credits somewhere, but that isn't required.

Shinzy: For the textures for Crashbug, Furx, Lacosdile, Megaslug, Rim Ram, Snork and Spindlecrib.
Pidggit: For the textures for Rimdog and Rimwolf.
Haplo: For the .dll and XML to make certain animals aggressive.
Kirid: For allowing me to include Alpha Muffalo and the fly, mosquito, and tarantula.
Giraffe: For suggesting the Quadhog and my friend Ellie for naming it.

V1.0 First Release containing 7 new animals. Furx, Lacosdile, Megaslug, Rimdog, Rim Ram, Rimwolf, and Snork.

V1.1 Added code to make some animals aggressive. Thanks to Haplo for that.

V1.2 Added new Snork body parts and integrated Kirid's Alpha Muffalo mod.

V2.0 Lots of balance changes regarding animal stats and spawn rates etc. Minor description fixes. Minor mistakes fixed. Added Quadhog and Spindlecrib.

V2.1 Updated for A9.

V3.0 Added 4 new bugs. Crashbug, Fly, Mosquito, and Tarantula. Adjusted description for Alphalo. Adjusted spawn rate for Alphalo.

Previous Versions

v1.0 Dropbox Download
v1.1 Dropbox Download
v1.2 Dropbox Download
v2.0 Dropbox Download

Compatibility Patches
Just replace the Biodiversity_Biomes.xml file located in the Biodiversity/Defs/BiomeDefs/ folder with the compatibility patch and make sure the respective mods are loaded before this one in the mod order.

For the Harsher Tundra patch, just activate that mod after you activate Harsher Tundra and Biodiversity.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Epyk

This is too great.

Love to see new animals running around.
Click picture for Epyk Pack!
Try Epokalypse!

Herc18

What has been, will be again.

Igabod

Quote from: Herc18 on January 22, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
Your the man igabod! Is this save game compatible?

It should be, but you should make a backup save just in case before you activate this mod because I haven't tested it with a saved game. I never keep saves around since I do a lot of testing and switching my mods list around. If it's not then please let me know. It might take a while for the animals to show up on the map if you use a save game though so be aware of that.

Herc18

Quote from: Igabod on January 22, 2015, 01:49:44 PM
Quote from: Herc18 on January 22, 2015, 01:36:23 PM
Your the man igabod! Is this save game compatible?

It should be, but you should make a backup save just in case before you activate this mod because I haven't tested it with a saved game. I never keep saves around since I do a lot of testing and switching my mods list around. If it's not then please let me know. It might take a while for the animals to show up on the map if you use a save game though so be aware of that.
Awesome sounds great! textures are spot on as always Shinzy, I really think the RimRam should belong in the vanilla game....just feels right lol
What has been, will be again.

Shinzy

Igabod

Quote from: Shinzy on January 22, 2015, 02:34:49 PM
needs compatapatability with alpha muffalo mod asap!

Is now soon enough? Check the Download Links section of the original post.

Shinzy

Quote from: Igabod on January 22, 2015, 02:45:31 PM

do you read minds or are you cheatening?

Igabod

Quote from: Shinzy on January 22, 2015, 02:53:17 PM
Quote from: Igabod on January 22, 2015, 02:45:31 PM

do you read minds or are you cheatening?

Lol I'm just fast. That and Alpha Muffalo only required me to add one animal to my biomes.xml in like 5 places so it was a simple copy/paste job. Making the compatibility patch for my Xtra Plants mod won't be quite that quick. And I'm going to wait until after I release the next update in the next couple days before I make a compatibility patch for it.

Vonholtz

Wow this looks great. I would like to try this mod. Do you have to started a new game or can you just added it in to a already played game?

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Shinzy

Quote from: Vonholtz on January 22, 2015, 03:30:51 PM
Wow this looks great. I would like to try this mod. Do you have to started a new game or can you just added it in to a already played game?

you can add it on to an ongoing game! it can take a while till you'll start seeing the new animals spawn though
but it works ;D

oh and Skully =P
"Crossbred and genetically manipulated lizard originally created as part of clever fragrance marketing gig."

TheSilencedScream

Hrhejakeghfhb!

These are awesome! But now... I want a puppy colonist. :(
Quote from: Topper on August 31, 2015, 03:33:25 AM
is the sledgehammer compatible with the romance mod?
Only in Rimworld.

Igabod

Quote from: TheSilencedScream on January 22, 2015, 04:52:39 PM
Hrhejakeghfhb!

These are awesome! But now... I want a puppy colonist. :(

I do have access to a puppy dog texture. I don't have the programming abilities to make it a recruitable colonist who hauls stuff or anything yet though. I'll keep looking into figuring out how to do that, but for now you'll just have to settle for some friendly wild dogs and possibly soon some not so friendly wolves and Lacosdiles and Rim Rams that will attack any pawn that gets too close to it.

[edit to add] Upon further reflection though, I could create a new faction of sentient dog people that would raid your base and could be captured and recruited. Shinzy already showed the way with his Norbals faction. I might look into doing that just for fun. But before I do that I'm going to work on the custom bodytypes for these animals.

Vonholtz

Quote from: Shinzy on January 22, 2015, 04:45:14 PM
Quote from: Vonholtz on January 22, 2015, 03:30:51 PM

you can add it on to an ongoing game! it can take a while till you'll start seeing the new animals spawn though
but it works ;D

oh and Skully =P
"Crossbred and genetically manipulated lizard originally created as part of clever fragrance marketing gig."
Thank you I am adding it right now.  :)