[A10] Mining&Co. Mining helmet (V10.0 29-04-2015)

Started by Rikiki, January 23, 2015, 04:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikiki

Mining&Co.: Mining helmet

Any miner has a solid helmet. But only Mining&Co. miners have helmets with a light!
This mod just adds a mining helmet whith a light... which actually lights the area! ;D

Features

Adds a mining helmet which light is turned on when a colonist is in a tunnel or in the dark.
The mining helmet also provide a small bonus to mining operations and some defense against blunt (falling rocks, tribal mace, ... ::)) and sharp damages.
You can craft this helmet at the M&Co. electronic workbench once the Energy pack research is completed (M&Co. Common mod is required).

Technical support

Mining&Co. is continuously trying to improving its product to raise its customers satisfaction.
Please leave us our feedback. Balancing cannot be done without you, loyal customer!

Changelog

V1.0
* Alpha 8 initial release.

V1.1
* Small improvement: lights should less flicker during movements. Really slow moving colonists may still suffer from epilepsy... :-\

V9.0
* Alpha 9 update (decided to change the version number to reflect the current Alpha).
* Now that equipement can also be ticked while worn, the Map_Component has been removed. This should greatly improve performance.

V9.1
* Simplified the code thanks to Haktrum propositions. This should improve performance for people having issues with "dynamic glowers".

V10.0
* Alpha 10 update

Compatibility notes

For mods combination purpose, this mod is split in 2 parts.
You need to activate both mods in this order:
- M&Co. Common
- M&Co. Mining helmet

Credits
Original mining helmet texture from the nice Labourer Apparel mod.
Code enhancements thanks to Haktrum propositions. :)

Modders note

You may be interrested in the following features:
  • Tick function on worn or dropped apparel.

License

You are free to get inspiration from this little work and include it in any other mod/modpack. Just put a link to this thread so people can use it as a standalone version too.
So this is basically licensed under http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/.

Note to modpacker: not that I don't want to help, but I have very little time to mod/play so I may not be very fast to answer integration questions.

Download

M&Co.: Common V10.0
M&Co.: Common V10.0 source => for modders

M&Co. Mining helmet V10.0
M&Co. Mining helmet V10.0 source
=> for modders

Matthiasagreen

I absolutely applaud you. I remember a few alphas back when there was a discussion about how this wasn't possible.
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Rikiki

Thank you! :)
Well, in fact this is not perfect as I had to use the glower grid but I am quite happy with the result.
Enjoy! 8)

Igabod

Dude you just made my day. I've been wanting this for a while now. Miners have now moved out of the dark ages! Maybe with this technological advance you should bring back mining detonators from a few alphas back. Unless you already did and I just haven't seen it yet. Also, I suspect Shinzy is going to want to get ahold of this and make all kinds of glowing clothing and accessories for Apparello.

eatKenny

simple idea yet brilliant done!!! it may opens a door to all glowing stuff :o

BajtMe

Absolutely, totally and completely awesome! :o Do they remove the "in darkness" debuff as well?

Shinzy

Quote from: Igabod on January 23, 2015, 05:17:30 PM
Dude you just made my day. I've been wanting this for a while now. Miners have now moved out of the dark ages! Maybe with this technological advance you should bring back mining detonators from a few alphas back. Unless you already did and I just haven't seen it yet. Also, I suspect Shinzy is going to want to get ahold of this and make all kinds of glowing clothing and accessories for Apparello.
only glowing bit of apparel I've ever wanted to make besides mining helmet was a wearable lampshade hat
and I really don't wanna make one of those anymore =P

Glowing mushroom clothes could still be.. trippy

millenium

rikiki i applaud your work but wouldn't it just be simpler to have 1 page for your mods?

Igabod

Just played a run with this. I loved it. It is absolutely great. Now we just need a disco ball that floats over the colonists head and emits random colored light that shifts with every step.

Only two criticisms and they are minor. First, there is an item that can be crafted by the same table that makes the helmet which is totally useless for this mod and should probably not be included. And second, the light flickers off and on each time you walk through a door or over an object like strawberries or any other food item. I haven't noticed the flickering at any other time though. But I think some of the flickering is because there is no light in doorways and the light goes on when the pawn is in darkness and off again once they enter the room with light. Not sure what causes it when the pawns walk through my freezer but it's a little weird.

Rikiki

Quote from: millenium on January 23, 2015, 08:45:17 PM
rikiki i applaud your work but wouldn't it just be simpler to have 1 page for your mods?
@millenium: I try to make my mods as much modular as possible. So someone wanting only the laser weapons is not forced to also get weird stuffs like alert speaker or glowing caveplants... ;)
As my mods list lengthens, I will consider putting a link to them in one thread. I am not sure where to put this thread though... ???
I know, I know, the wiki is also waiting for my updates. :-\

@Igabod: I suppose you are talking about the electronics board? Let's say it's a teaser of what they can get with my other mods! ;D I won't remove it as it is a part of the M&Co. common mod anyway.
I will check the "freezer disco time" and "doorway step". ;D

@BajtMe: Yes, the debuff is removed.

I always wanted to add more entertainment in Rimworld but my colonists never get free time! Disco ball has still a place in my head... ::)

popster99

i think a turret with a disco ball that fires coloured lights at people that does nothing would be cool

Shinzy

Quote from: Igabod on January 24, 2015, 01:09:47 AM
Just played a run with this. I loved it. It is absolutely great. Now we just need a disco ball that floats over the colonists head and emits random colored light that shifts with every step.

Quote from: Rikiki on January 24, 2015, 02:41:47 AM
I always wanted to add more entertainment in Rimworld but my colonists never get free time! Disco ball has still a place in my head... ::)

You mean on your head, right? right?
you could build Mipens droids and plop discoball on their head and and
discobots roll out!

popster99

Quote from: Shinzy on January 24, 2015, 06:13:54 AM

discobots roll out!
best idea ever make is so

Igabod

Quote from: Shinzy on January 24, 2015, 06:13:54 AM

discobots roll out!

I've got a texture for it ready. I haven't tested the texture out in game or anything, but my intent is that it should cover the entire head (like the powerarmor helmets) but look exactly the same from all sides because it's a disco ball. Nobody has to use them if they don't want, I just figured I'd share the textures here. I'll probably replace the mining helmet with this texture for my own amusement later.

Check the attachments for the textures.

[edit to add] Oh, another idea for glowing equipment. A flashlight which is also a low end melee weapon. I've seen some cops use their mag-lights pretty effectively as clubs.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Rikiki

V1.1 is released.
Light flickering has been improved.
The light is switched on if the pawn is in a tunnel, a room or in the open dark.