Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Thomasio

Ninefinger

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Thomasio on August 27, 2015, 03:39:05 PM
what about alpha 12 ?

Alistaire and I are putting the finishing touches on an experimental new aim system. We basically rewrote the entire thing from scratch, pawns now actually have to lead targets, estimate range, bullet height is being tracked to determine cover impact, guns have recoil and probably some more stuff I forgot about are coming to the A12 update. We still need to iron out some kinks but we're on track for a weekend release.

Ninefinger

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on August 27, 2015, 04:51:05 PM
Quote from: Thomasio on August 27, 2015, 03:39:05 PM
what about alpha 12 ?

Alistaire and I are putting the finishing touches on an experimental new aim system. We basically rewrote the entire thing from scratch, pawns now actually have to lead targets, estimate range, bullet height is being tracked to determine cover impact, guns have recoil and probably some more stuff I forgot about are coming to the A12 update. We still need to iron out some kinks but we're on track for a weekend release.

Wow that sounds amazing! Great work you guys!

NoImageAvailable

Quick progress update, bugfixing took longer than expected but all the functionality is there and just needs some last minute tweaks. Here's a quick preview illustrating some of the new functionality:

Vanilla: magic autohits, if RNG decides you got hit then you got hit, reality doesn't matter

New aiming system: pawns have to actively lead a target, how well they do depends on their skill, target is only hit if bullet actually collides

rsof69

NihilRex

Quote from: NoImageAvailable on August 23, 2015, 12:42:33 PM
Quote from: NihilRex on August 23, 2015, 12:37:21 PM
Forget that, what about Time On Target for mortars\howitzers?

Can you elaborate?

With multiple shooting verbs, you could simulate doing a ToT barrage with mortars\howitzers.  They take longer to set up, but drop several rounds in a tight cluster.  It is like having multiple guns on one target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#MRSI

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: rsof69 on August 31, 2015, 12:03:47 PM
Yey  ;D awsome do we have an eta ?

I'm hoping to release in the next 1-2 days, but then you never know with these things. Sometimes you're just about done and then you realize one of your methods has a major logic flaw and needs to be completely rewritten.

Quote from: NihilRex on August 31, 2015, 12:43:24 PM
With multiple shooting verbs, you could simulate doing a ToT barrage with mortars\howitzers.  They take longer to set up, but drop several rounds in a tight cluster.  It is like having multiple guns on one target.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artillery#MRSI

Okay, I can see what you mean. The problem right now is such a mechanic doesn't serve any purpose ingame and would be purely aesthetic (and drop your framerate a whole lot more). Same thing with say, giving a machine gun burst and suppression mode.

Right now I'm working on finishing the new aiming system, after that I want to take a shot at new armor mechanics. After that I'd like to look into improved pawn AI and one of the things I had in mind was make them panic or go prone if they have too much incoming fire. Once such mechanics are in place I'll get on implementing different firing modes because right now they just don't make sense from a gameplay perspective.

NuclearStudent

My body is so ready for this new system. I can't believe you guys managed to program something so awesome!

notfood

zenfur

Can the bullets still miss even when they are on the right track to collide? I noticed that in your presentation all bullets hit the target, even when he was downed.
Little posts, quality posts.

Notice me, senpaaiiiiiii!!!!

generalcrusher

I am really glad that this mod is not abandoned. I hate when my colonists get shot around corners and I cant wait to try the new version out!   :D

NoImageAvailable

Released 1.3.0
New aiming system released. Keep in mind that I wasn't able to fix all the issues or do much balancing so far, so consider this an open Beta. Should you experience weird behaviour (slowdowns, bullets hitting things behind the shooter, etc.) please report it. Should you have suggestions regarding balance and weapon behaviour, feel free to post them. Your feedback helps ensure this mod is the best it can be.