[A13] Combat Realism v.1.6.5 (08.05.16) Final release

Started by NoImageAvailable, January 29, 2015, 12:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: clayfang on September 05, 2015, 02:51:22 PM
For whatever reason, this mod completely disables all turrets. Even a fresh install with ONLY Combat Realism installed, I'm no longer able to build it. I'm not able to build any of the custom ones either with the defence pack enabled. Also, the DL link for the Project Armory compatability patch is broken. I also have the same issues with the 1.3.3 you just posted. Great mod! I just wish I could make it work :/

Improvised turrets have been moved to the machining table, you need to craft them. The new turrets are only available from traders. The Project Armory patch is for the A10 version, it won't get an update until PA itself does.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Mckee

Do drafted/undrafted colonists reload their weapons automatically, or do we have to manage that manually?

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Mckee on September 05, 2015, 04:12:44 PM
Do drafted/undrafted colonists reload their weapons automatically, or do we have to manage that manually?

Automatically. Also, I forgot to mention, the new reloading system depends on the Community Core Library, so get it if you haven't already.

Mckee

Ah right, trying to sort my mod order out now so I can run CR with the new rimfire compatibility patch. Any pointers on that one? Kinda struggling with it tbh.

Alistaire

Load order for CombatRealism + Rimfire:

• Community Core Library
  • CombatRealism
  • CombatRealism + Rimfire 1.8

Mckee

mehmet432

İ can't seem to create a world or create a new colony while this mod is active.

İ don't have any problems with Combat Realism Defense but only the core makes problem !

Help ?

Mckee

I had that issue earlier - check you've got the community library pack installed too and that you use the mod order that got posted just above. I'd mucked mine up and it was stopping world gen.

Commander Beanbag

Progress!

The ghost pawns bug seems to occur when explosive fragments (and possibly regular explosions) kill or damage a pawn. I did not encounter the bug when using guns to kill pawns.
Tests were done using Core, CCL, EDB Mod Order and Combat Realism Core, in that order.

Screenshots (look at the cursor, and then the bottom left's cell content list):
1: http://i.imgur.com/8o77Ups.jpg
2: http://i.imgur.com/weMUPlm.jpg
3: http://i.imgur.com/diZUzTO.jpg

Mortars were used to produce the explosions; they impacted roughly where the corpses are.
Edit: Only 2 mortars were fired.
Edit 2: There are many more cells with ghosts, even outside the explosion's radius. There seems to be a pattern where further cells from the center of the explosions have less ghosts.

Adrramas

NoImageAvailable

Good news everyone, I tracked down the cause and laid those ghosts to rest. Update is coming soon, just need to do some balance adjustments for some new functionality.

Quote from: Adrramas on September 06, 2015, 06:44:21 AM
Minions can pick range and mele wepons??

Not sure what your question is, can you speak clearer?

Goo Poni

One would assume he's asking if a pawn can pick up a gun and a melee implement and switch as needed whether automatically or on command.

I don't know if that's possible but pawns can carry things in their inventory so if they could carry their chosen sidearm in their inventory then maybe?

akiceabear

NIA - great to hear the kinks are getting worked out!

Thoughts on the current mod: it's amazing! It's making combat so much more intense and tactical IMO. While the guns ultra stopping power and pawn squishiness would seemingly make things too imbalanced/easy, I actually find that I'm also losing a lot more pawns in the process, and the ones that are recoverable are often maimed in non-trivial ways. Seiges are absolutely terrifying for non-mountain bases. The reloading/clip size/fire rate/range differences between weapons also make that a really challenging and fun process to figure out, and so far seems to balance very well across weapon classes. All in all the mod forces much more careful thinking about how to handle combat, base design, etc etc etc - for me, making my choices more meaningful and the story richer as a result. Great job!

Thoughts on improvements: tribals seem a bit too squishy - almost a trivial non-threat once I have a couple decent pistols or shotguns and a few embrasures built. Perhaps this is by design - why should tribals topple a well armed colony. If not by design, I had a few thoughts that spring to mind:

• Make them more numerous in headcount.
  • Make their weapons slightly higher accuracy, especially the melee ones - i.e. you better hope you gun them down before they get to you, because one club swing and you're out.
  • Make them stealthier - they know nature better, so have higher chances of sneaking up on you (e.g. no raid alert). This almost gets into (the better) fog of war territory, which of course is a massive undertaking on its own right.
  • Nerf the starting loadout to be only primitive weapons - a composite bow, a few plasteel knives. Guns are powerful - make the progression towards them feel long, arduous, and satisfying.
  • A CR story teller (part of the nerfed start) that has you dealing exclusively with tribals and natural events until you get a comms console or geothermal plant (for example) - i.e. you pop up on the pirates radar. This makes getting access to gun tech a big trade off - you essentially are wading into the deep end of raid challenges by making that first pistol purchase or art sale.
Just some thoughts that popped up on my few plays so far - take them as you will :)

And thanks again for the mod - I'm loving it as is, so please take these only as musings/suggestions rather than criticisms, which they are not!

kellyboi

Quote from: akiceabear on September 06, 2015, 10:55:28 AM

• Make them more numerous in headcount.
  • Make their weapons slightly higher accuracy, especially the melee ones - i.e. you better hope you gun them down before they get to you, because one club swing and you're out.

akiceabear, you could edit the pawnkinddef for tribals under core if you wish to increase headcount. Simply lower the combatpower of tribal pawns to increase the amount per raid.
As for melee accuracy... Well, you could modify NIA's melee weapon def if you want to haha...

I have a bad habit of dissecting and tweaking mod xmls  ;D ;D

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: akiceabear on September 06, 2015, 10:55:28 AM
And thanks again for the mod - I'm loving it as is, so please take these only as musings/suggestions rather than criticisms, which they are not!

I'm always glad to get feedback be it positive or negative. Hearing someone else's thoughts on things can go a long way to identifying strengths and problem areas. Regarding tribals I found it depends a lot on what type of map you play. If you're on a boreal forest they have a good chance of closing in since the foliage will be blocking a lot of fire, on a desert you'd probably mow them down before they get anywhere close.

Later down the line I'd like to do an AI overhaul to both teach the AI some new combat tricks but also to make their goals more varied than "Kill! Maim! Burn!". Tribals in particular I'd like to move away from mindlessly charging into machine gun fire and be more about hit and run attacks on infrastructure. Depending on how fancy I'll get I'd like them to do things like ignite crop fields using torches or flaming arrows or blow up exposed generators, then make a run for it before the colonists can react. If the player has fortified positions they would try to avoid them by breaking down walls or building tunnels, or maybe just running around in the vicinity and ambushing lone pawns until you can clear them out.

My basic idea for the factions is that pirates want quick money and will use advanced weapons and tactics to take your valuables then make a run for it while tribals want you off their land but can't afford frontal assaults, so they will resort to lengthier methods that improve their own odds of survival to opportunistically attack weak points of your colony. Additionally I'd like to represent their status as natives of the land more by having them do things like hunt local wildlife, either regular one for food or during special events like trailing a Thrumbo. Basically I'd like them to be more of an ambient rather than immediately existential threat, something the player has to constantly expend resources to guard against rather than mow them down with copious amounts of firepower.