Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dingus

Getting rid of the stupid mood decrease for colonists eating raw food and eating without a table of their on volition when there is ample cooked food and seating available to them.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

baegle

Some of these items have been said before. I think these are simple fixes that eliminate WTF moments and major frustrations with the arbitrary randomness.

• Currently, Sheriffs cannot Warden? How does that make any sense. Please allow Sheriffs to Warden
  • Everyone is capable of firefighting. How is this even a thing? Drop the "incapable of firefighting" feature from everywhere. Even pyromaniacs. Yeah, they love to see fire. They don't love to see their family burn to death.
  • Hold-your-fire command on drafted colonists. Someone else suggested it. It would REALLY help.
  • Why oh why are there so many eclipses in a single calendar year and why oh why do they blot out the sun for soooooo long. You have solar flares. You have ZZZTT events. Why do you need so many eclipses. It doesn't even make sense!
  • Small animals should have damage/injury caps on what they can deal. A full grown human cannot be torn to death by a fox.
  • If a colonist is carrying something, and you tell them to prioritize a particular piece of work, the mats needed for that work should be able to be satisfied by whatever they are carrying. Right now, I have to prioritize to make them drop something if I want them to use that thing for something else, and I have to prioritize something, prioritize something else, then prioritize the original thing if I don't want them to run off to the stockpile even though they have 75x wood in their hands.
  • Really, really, really need to get rid of boomrats. There's nothing interesting about them that boomalopes don't provide. But pretty much every time I get a manhunter pack of boomrats it's game over for me. I have lost no less than 10 colonists to boomrat manhunter packs. The randomness of the game is cool and all, but this particular aspect isn't fun. It's not interesting. It's just a source of frustration.

kanukki

Cheap idea to fix slightly broken 'build roof' non-priority construction queue:

*** Always prioritize 'build roof' in the construction queue, whenever a space has been enclosed as 'indoors'

Currently, If there are other non-"build roof" orders present - even if they aren't being worked on because of lack of materials - pawns will move on to other work priorities instead of building roofs.

Kindyj

The option to "Prioritize doing X after...", I want my pawn to do something right after they wake up, not right now at 1 AM.

blub01

Quote from: baegle on September 07, 2016, 12:31:34 AM
Some of these items have been said before. I think these are simple fixes that eliminate WTF moments and major frustrations with the arbitrary randomness.

• Everyone is capable of firefighting. How is this even a thing? Drop the "incapable of firefighting" feature from everywhere. Even pyromaniacs. Yeah, they love to see fire. They don't love to see their family burn to death.
  • Why oh why are there so many eclipses in a single calendar year and why oh why do they blot out the sun for soooooo long. You have solar flares. You have ZZZTT events. Why do you need so many eclipses. It doesn't even make sense!
  • Small animals should have damage/injury caps on what they can deal. A full grown human cannot be torn to death by a fox.
  • Really, really, really need to get rid of boomrats. There's nothing interesting about them that boomalopes don't provide. But pretty much every time I get a manhunter pack of boomrats it's game over for me. I have lost no less than 10 colonists to boomrat manhunter packs. The randomness of the game is cool and all, but this particular aspect isn't fun. It's not interesting. It's just a source of frustration.

some people just fear fire so much they get petrified or whatever. in that context, it makes sense.

solar panels are a much more steady power source than wind turbines, which are practically useless right now. that has to be balanced somehow, although I do agree that making them arbitrarily not produce power ten times a year for a day is not the best option. maybe make them more expensive to build.

humans aren't all that hard to kill, if they go for weak points, or simply a ton of small injuries, even small animals can kill you.

funny, considering boomrats were there first. what exactly is the issue? wouldn't it be the same with boomalope manhunter packs?
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Miloch

Football, soccer ball, baseball, etc... Sports fields, or something of the like.  People would use it like the horseshoe pit for entertainment.
Storage furniture that would allow better use of space, ala the current tool rack.  Perhaps dedicated storage types that would be more efficient.  (aka a wardrobe that would store a larger amount of clothes in a smaller space.)
A preset freezer zone that would basically be a stockpile for most perishables.
A pyre for low tech corpse cremation.
A guard tower that basically just extends ranged weapons range while someone is in it.
Gas mask/filter mask/bandana over mouth to extend time before being affected by the toxic chemicals raining down.
Ability to mark some items as trash (low quality/durability) and get them stuck in the dumping pile.
Autotrash rule that will mark all items of such and such a durability as trash.
Colonists deciding on a favorite item and wanting to use it above all others (sort like bonding an animal.  Small bonus to mood) Favorite shirt, or pistol.
Not as cheap as others but being able to setup a repair bill for items (mainly favorite).
Animal fence that keep animals out/in but people can climb (what about robots?) and doesn't block view.
Buttons to mark whole work columns to certain numbers.  (aka set all haul to 1 for example)
Shooting slits in walls.  Very narrow view through but good cover.  Does not stop temperature flow obviously, but would let you make bunkers.  Maybe shutterable?

Feyda

Allow haulers to deposit resources in construction projects.

baegle

Quote from: blub01 on September 07, 2016, 09:51:14 AM
Quote from: baegle on September 07, 2016, 12:31:34 AM

some people just fear fire so much they get petrified or whatever. in that context, it makes sense.

No, I don't actually think people can be so petrified of fire that they can't actually fight fires. I don't actually think that's a real thing. I also think that it doesn't matter if aesthetically it's real. It's not an interesting mechanic and doesn't generate interesting dynamics. It ONLY serves as a way to make what would be salvageable situation frustratingly unsalvageable. It's a negative element and I haven't seen any argument or evidence that it adds anything positive to the game that may act as a counterbalance to its negative qualities.

solar panels are a much more steady power source than wind turbines, which are practically useless right now. that has to be balanced somehow, although I do agree that making them arbitrarily not produce power ten times a year for a day is not the best option. maybe make them more expensive to build.

I actually find myself benefiting from building at least one wind turbine to complement my solar panels. However, I want you to read the words you wrote. You admit wind turbines are useless and that solar panels are not. The solution should certainly NOT be to make solar panels more useless. This is, as I state above for "can't firefight", a net negative to gameplay. It adds nothing, it takes away much, it takes it away via randomness, there are no benefits to the mechanic. At most it creates a dynamic that forces me to create wind turbines and research geothermal, but there's already solar flares and there's already seasons. If the seasons don't affect solar output they should and eclipses should go away.

humans aren't all that hard to kill, if they go for weak points, or simply a ton of small injuries, even small animals can kill you.

No, actually. There are no documented cases of a fox ever killing a human being. Same with squirrels and rabbits. It's not hand waving. Go find some evidence of it being possible. When I'm managing my colony and a squirrel and a colonist get into melee, I shouldn't have to micro manage everyone and risk friendly fire ripping off a limb on the off change that the PRNG causes my colonist to ripped to death by a small woodland creature. It's not expected, it's not useful, it doesn't add anything to gameplay, it only makes the game worse.

funny, considering boomrats were there first. what exactly is the issue? wouldn't it be the same with boomalope manhunter packs?

Who cares that boomrats were first? Games go through many mechanics changes as ideas interact with each other and the law of unintended consequences rears its ugly head. Boomrats are legion and they are fast. Fire is deadly. Stupid colonist who catch fire cannot stop-drop-and-roll. Some colonists cannot fight fires (see above). Fire destroys resources like spears and sniper rifles. Manhunters are completely random. Manhunter packs are also random. The risk of getting caught by the pathing AI for a warg pack is that they kill you before you can make it inside. The risk of a pack of boomrats is that you can't go home because you can't fight boomrats on your own turf unless it's pouring out. With 2 types of animals that explode into fires, the randomness factor makes it doubly dangerous and again without adding anything interesting to the game. One of these types of animals is enough. Argue for keeping rats and getting rid of lopes for all I care, but make an actual argument about positive impact to gameplay. I don't see any value in keeping both of these animals in conjunction with "mad animal" and "manhunter packs" and "raiders can accidentally shoot them and cause fires everywhere".

The sheer number of ways fires can start (zzt, boomanimals * (mad animal + manhunter pack + crossfire), dry thunderstorms, raiders, overheating) combined with the "can't fight fires" trait makes for a repetitive and unenjoyable subset of experiences. Not all the time, but it's consistent enough that I think the game would be massively more enjoyable if these risks were removed and replaced with more interesting ways to die horribly.

admian

I'm new to this forum, probably some thigs were allready suggested before, but, my suggestions are:

Add coal. Like steel, plasteel, silver etc can be mined, coal should be too and used for generators and cooking stove instead of wood.

The crops should depend on rain. So the fertility should depend on the quantity of rain. Sone years should be better then others, some worse just like on earth. Also we should be able to build water wells, irrigation pumps and pipes for inside crops and increasing the fertility of land for outside crops.

As disasters, maybe earthquakes, but they should be very rare, small no more than once every 4 years, one big no more than once every years or so. Anyway the should be very rare and some roofs and stone walls should colapse. Also small tornadoes that should destroy some crops and roofs

Remove infestation. There's no way human size bugs apperars out of thin air.

Maybe add bees for honey production, sheep for fleece, maybe fishing. There are some other animals that can be added like goats for milk, (smaller quantity than cows, but should eat much less). Cheese making to preserve milk for years as other crops, maybe tomatoes and wheat. Wheat for temperate zone, rice for hot zones, sorghum for desert zones.
Growing grapes in temperate zones for eating raw and making wine, wine press and barrels for storing wine. Olive trees for olive oil in hot zones. Oil could be made at the same press as the wine.
Some fruit trees lke apples in the temperate zone and bannanas in hot zones. In case of necessity, the fruit trees could be choped for wood.
This i can live without, but coal is the most important.

An option to ask for ransom of captured attackers. Some hostile factions should be destroyed after several unsuccesful attacks and be replaced by others that could be more  or less aggresive.
Cold snaps occur almost every year at half springs and half autumn and that makes growing crops a pain. Especially devilstrand had no chance to mature in temperate climates. I understand, there are some cold snaps, but not as a rule, not even in Rimworld. Some years should be normal, some good, some bad, some great, some terrible, not every year bad or terrible as a rule. I noticed everytime i harvest hay (also potato, rice), it starts to rain. That seems connected so the harvest can be spoiled before managing to store it. That's trolling, not random weather. The weather should be random, beside regular years, some abnormal cold years, hot years, rainy years or years with drought.

So, for the moment, in order of importance: coal, water wells, irrigation pumps and pipes, sheep, grapes/wine, olive oil, apples, bannanas,  bees/honey, ransom, rare and random earthquakes, tornadoes, much random cold snaps, no thin air infestation with huge bugs and the rest.

Shaz

Add more operations to animals
- Spaying/Neutering (PLEASE), it makes no sense to have to separate my huskies when I have all the puppies I want and the adult huskies have masters they follow. Separate areas for males and females works for breeding animals like cows, but its frustrating to implement for bonded animals.
- peg legs/ prosthesis, there are many examples of pets and even farm animals with prosthetic limbs.

Boba Phat

A variety of crops of each of the different types, each with their own unique advantages and disadvantages.  For example:

Corn becomes...
Sweetcorn: Grows faster, requires more to make kibble than meals, requires better soil.
Maize: Grows somewhat slower, but produces more per plant, requires less to make kibble and more to make meals, grows in poor soil.

Potatoes become...
Potatoes: Grows better in cooler climates, grows quickly, produces the most food.
Sweet potatoes/Kumar: Grows better in warmer climates, grows more slowly, produces less food than potatoes.
Yams: Grows best in tropical climates, will grow in very poor soil, but produces the least amount of food.

Rice becomes:
Rice: Grows best in tropical weather, average yield.
Wheat: Grows best in temperate weather, very high yield, but requires good soil.
Oats: Grows best in cold weather, low yield, produces less human meals, but more kibble.
Triticale: Very hardy, will grow almost anywhere, in any climate, in any soil, but requires huge amount to make human meals and much less to make kibble.  Ideal for animal fodder with the benefit that it can be used to make human food in a pinch.

Haygrass becomes:
Grass hay: Grows in cooler climates, requires better soil, grows faster but with lower yield.
Alfalfa hay: Grows in hotter climates, requires less fertile soil, grows slower but with higher yield.

Berries become:
Berries: Grow in wetter, cooler climates, require better soil but have higher yields.
Nuts: Grow in warmer, drier climates, will grow in less fertile soil but have lower yields.

admian

Sorry for my spelling mistakes on previous message.

Boba is right. There should be different crops available for the different climates. Will improve a lot the replayability. Wheat and maize only for temperate, rice only for hot and wet, sorghum for dry desert - will grow slow but will have time to mature in hot climates, Rye for cold, like tundra, will mature fast, grow better in colder temperatures, but yield less.

As fruit trees (fruit + wood): bananas for hot and wet, fig or dates for hot and dry, apples or plums for temperate, i just did a google search and for tundra is a haskap bush that grows well (no wood though).

eisenkrote

1) Add a crop that can be synthesized into a methadone-analog.

2) Treat addiction like infection: with proper medical treatment over time (see methadone-analog), there's a chance the colonist will pass through withdrawl symptoms earlier. This may not be a "cheap" addition. But if it uses the "infection" mechanic, it may be.

Noctis

I posted this in the suggestions forum, but it's also a cheap idea with significant returns, so I think it belongs here too:

Make pawns prioritize engaging in joy activities together.  It'd be a very humanizing touch, especially if the pawns have a high opinion of each other.  This simple tweak would have multiple benefits:

• This could lead to memorable vignettes like a husband and wife lying side by side stargazing, or two friends playing chess or billiards.
  • This would allow pawns to build relationships while fulfilling their joy needs.
  • Having fun together is just something humans like to do, so it would make the game more lifelike.
  • It would cut down on pathetic scenes like someone playing chess by himself while someone shoots pool by herself in the next room.
The game is full of emergent humanizing moments, and a preference to play or relax together would be an easy way to produce a whole lot more of those moments.

Boba Phat

Potted plants shouldn't reset when they're repositioned.