[1.3.0] Hospitality

Started by Orion, March 13, 2015, 11:19:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yeahchris

Quote from: Orion on July 21, 2016, 07:05:10 AM
I can look into stopping visitors from coming duration a radiation event.

About the guest room problem: I don't exactly know what's going wrong there. Do note, though, that with the wealth of your base and your relationship with the faction, their expectations go up as well.

Err. Oh. Okay.

I've built all the joy objects available to us, however. What do they need? Larger rooms? More expensive materials?

It seems harsh that I should be getting -10 faction relation hits based upon their increasing expectations. Perhaps their increasing expectations should put a ceiling on faction relationship gain, not directly adjust whether the relation score goes up or down. It's going down by A LOT because they've decided I'm rich now and want better toys.

"What are these hors d'oeuvres? Crackers and cheese? I expect caviar damn you! Next time we come, we BURN THE VILLIAGE TO THE GROUND!"

Orion

Haha

How far into the game are you? I haven't experienced this yet, and my guests just sleep in a slightly impressive storeroom... If you feel like it, maybe you could make a short video of your guest situation and I can take a look.

EviloM

Using v1.14d corpses don't disappear anymore.
Thank you!!!  :D

Orion

yeahchris

Not very far.

I've been basically building this colony as a space-farm rather than developing its leisure centers, so if I'm considered wealthy it's because I have lots of guns and space-cows. What I can say is that all of my colonists are happy as a clam with the leisure facilities.

I've not been focusing on them, but I wasn't expecting factions to potentially go to war with me as a result of not expanding my rec center.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Orion

This does look like it should score well. But have you looked at the needs of the visitors? The most important measure is their mood when they leave. Also use the room tool to check the rating of the guest rooms.

yeahchris

Room ratings are good except for size. They don't seem to be eating any of my food, so they usually leave hungry. Also the visitor with a question mark over his head for trading usually wont use any joy objects or rest even though he's usually hanging out right next to the pool table. They will sometimes just walk outside and wander around in the rain.

Everyone else in the group usually plays pool, sleeps and then leaves joyful, rested, but hungry because they wont eat. At the end of the day though I can't change their AI package. I can only make the facilities available to them... which they are.

Orion

I can confirm that there is an issue with food. Since Rimworld is now being updated in very fast intervals, I can't keep up fixing everything the core game breaks in my mods. I can't find where eating is going wrong.

For now I recommend placing some food in the guest rooms.

yeahchris

Ack. Fair enough. Can't imagine how hard it would be to mod for an in-development game.

It's probably a bit pretentious of me -- actually, it definitely is -- but if I could make one suggestion it would be this:

What happened in my game was basically that I saw relations skyrocket at game start because of zero expectations and then crash hard once expectations came into play and they didn't eat their food.

Bear in mind, I'm basically guessing at the math going on behind the scenes, but it seems to me as though a positive or negative adjustment amount is being determined by the difference between their various wellness meters vs their expectation given the wealth of my colony.

But what if, rather than having their mood vs expectations when they leave determining an either positive or negative relations adjustment, it was used to determine a target faction relationship score. And then your actual relationship value would be adjusted by some percentage of the difference between your actual value and the target value.

What that would do in effect would be to make it so that factions who visit and have a lackluster experience will generally gravitate towards lackluster faction relations rather than towards outright war. Someone who knows you barely at all would appreciate being received at all, but your strongest ally would expect to be well taken care of.

Again, I'm guessing at the math going into play here, but I noticed that the relation hits I was getting due to them not eating were fairly flat and consistent as my score went from 90 to -10.

Thinking something like:

(Target Relationship Score - Current Relationship Score)/5 gets added to your relationship per visit.

You would have to do some math to get around the fact that you're using positive and negative numbers, but you get the idea.

I believe this would help to make relations a bit less volatile while not rendering war impossible if you consistently locked them out in the cold. But if they're just not getting their turn at the pool table they'll trend towards a lowish-positive relationship score.... Rather than declaring war over their turn at the pool table.

BlueWinds

Quote from: Orion on July 21, 2016, 04:29:55 PM
I can confirm that there is an issue with food. Since Rimworld is now being updated in very fast intervals, I can't keep up fixing everything the core game breaks in my mods. I can't find where eating is going wrong.

For now I recommend placing some food in the guest rooms.

CCL just recently released a fix for a bug where prisoners wouldn't eat - I wonder if your food issues might be related, or possibly already fixed? I can't currently test things, but you might want to see if you can repro with the very latest CCL

Haven't had a chance to play with a14 very much yet, but quite enjoyed this mod in a13. Thanks for your work. :)

yusukenl

How do I update this mod from 14c to 14d ?
Do I have to remove all the Guest bed before deleting the 14c folder?

kaptain_kavern

Have a tiny little minor bug to report :

With Fluffy Work Tab, the game throw a yellow error message about a missing <label> tag in Workgiver.xml (middle of the screenshot). I guess there is a function in DLL files that search that in order to display it in the improved tab. Adding the right tag solved the issue and the error is not game breaking.

Orion

Quote from: yeahchris on July 21, 2016, 05:25:22 PM
Ack. Fair enough. [..] if they're just not getting their turn at the pool table they'll trend towards a lowish-positive relationship score.... Rather than declaring war over their turn at the pool table.
What you're describing is a very good idea, and should be feasible too. I'll look into this. The only minor issue I can see at this moment is that visitors usually have either a quite positive or quite negative experience without much room in the middle, so they would gravitate to -100 or 100 relationship anyway.

How it works is this: The moment visitors arrive in your base, I measure the average mood in the group. The moment they decide to leave, I measure it again. The difference is how well you treated them. This helps, because some thoughts (like brawler has ranged weapon) are practically ignored - they are there at the start and at the end.
I offset the resulting value by a certain amount, more right at the start (low expectations) until it settles at 0 offset after a few years.

Quote from: BlueWinds on July 21, 2016, 10:11:04 PM
Quote from: Orion on July 21, 2016, 04:29:55 PM

CCL just recently released a fix for a bug where prisoners wouldn't eat - I wonder if your food issues might be related, or possibly already fixed? I can't currently test things, but you might want to see if you can repro with the very latest CCL

Haven't had a chance to play with a14 very much yet, but quite enjoyed this mod in a13. Thanks for your work. :)
Glad you like it, and good news with this bug, it might be just the fix my mod needs as well. Now they just have to get CCL working on Steam and people will stop coming with this annoying bug :P

Quote from: yusukenl on July 21, 2016, 10:40:33 PM
How do I update this mod from 14c to 14d ?
Do I have to remove all the Guest bed before deleting the 14c folder?
No, you can just delete the old folder and put the new one in. Your savegames will not be affected. I always try to keep minor versions compatible with previous ones.

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 22, 2016, 01:01:35 AM
Have a tiny little minor bug to report :
This is already fixed in the latest version. But thanks!

That Homeless Guy

Been using this mod it's great but there are a few criticisms to make.

1) It has created alot of failed to get name errors for factions and even the world generator.
2) It seems that not murdering them for showing up in your freezer and eating all your stuff is enough to consider it an amazing reception. Even when you recruit 2 dudes from one party the guy leaving on his own seems delighted with you.

Warforyou