[A12] BackstoriesCore Update 10

Started by mipen, March 26, 2015, 05:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

test_account

Quote from: Igabod on March 27, 2015, 11:24:30 PM
Quote from: test_account on March 27, 2015, 08:43:33 PM
I don't suppose there's a way to predispose certain backstories to certain traits? Assassins, for instance, seem to have a tendency to get Careful Shooter, but that may just be confirmation bias on my end.

I'd love to have the ability to tie certain traits to a backstory. I don't know whether that would be possible or not, but if it is that would be a great addition. I'd make a backstory for cannibals that explains why they started being cannibals.

Also... YAY! This is my 1000th post on these forums! Click HERE to see my first post.
Yeah. I'd purposefully like to make, like, a "serial killer" backstory that is guaranteed to have psychopath, for instance.

Chaplain

So I'm kind of noticing this thing is a real stickler when it comes to capitalization of the jobs names.  Really doesn't help when notepad makes the V in Violent look relatively the same whether capitalized or not.

Also in other news I'm screwing around with making various vatgrown slave child and adult backgrounds for an attempt at running an RP game of escaped hiveworld slaves.  I'll probably post them up here when done if anyone is interested. I'm also likely going to make a "useless" set of backgrounds that simply have no bonuses just so you can start a game with a bunch of completely inept nitwits.

Edit:
Plantwork=Nope
PlantWork=Yes
Capitalization:  It is %@#& Rimworld law!

ImpulsiveZombie

Quote from: Igabod on March 27, 2015, 08:31:48 PM
I've looked this over and even copied it and tested in the game myself. I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't show up, but I can confirm that this is definitely not working. I'll keep trying to fix it though and I'll be sure to let you know if I figure it out. I'd like it if you could attach the actual .xml file (including the working ones) to a post though.
Here you are. CoreBackstories contains the 4 that work, and RWBYBackstories is the file mentioned in the pastebin. I had another look at it before I fell asleep and my best guess is that something in the CoreBackstories file is negating the addition of more backstories. The odd thing is that it doesn't work when you merge all of them into an individual file, so there might be a rogue </BackstoryDefs> somewhere, but I'm pretty much out of ideas.

[attachment deleted due to age]

mipen

Quote from: ImpulsiveZombie on March 28, 2015, 06:02:37 AM
I've looked this over and even copied it and tested in the game myself. I can't see any reasons why it wouldn't show up, but I can confirm that this is definitely not working. I'll keep trying to fix it though and I'll be sure to let you know if I figure it out. I'd like it if you could attach the actual .xml file (including the working ones) to a post though.
Found the problem, it was in the first backstory. You forgot to close one of the <li> tags :)

<BackstoryDef>
    <defName>Weiss</defName>
    <title>Elite huntress</title>
    <titleShort>Elite huntress</titleShort>
    <baseDescription>A pampered and heavily trained fighter, NAME entered Beacon with excepcional grades and training, quickly outclassing all of the students in HIS year. HISCAP parents and HIS ownership of the Schnee Dust Company give NAME powerful connections, providing all the funds and classes that HE needs. If only HIS classes could change HIS prickly attitude and HIS short temper, however...</baseDescription>
    <bodytypeMale>Thin</bodytypeMale>
    <bodyTypeFemale>Thin</bodyTypeFemale>
    <slot>Adulthood</slot>
   <workDisables>
      <li>None</li>
   </workDisables>
    <skillGains>
      <li>
        <defName>Shooting</defName>
        <amount>6</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Melee</defName>
        <amount>7</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Crafting</defName>
        <amount>2</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Research</defName>
        <amount>7</amount>
      </li>
      <li>
        <defName>Social</defName>
        <amount>-2</amount>
      </li> [color=yellow]<---------------This was missing![/color]
    </skillGains>
    <spawnCategories>
      <li>Civil</li>
    </spawnCategories>
  </BackstoryDef>

Here you are. CoreBackstories contains the 4 that work, and RWBYBackstories is the file mentioned in the pastebin. I had another look at it before I fell asleep and my best guess is that something in the CoreBackstories file is negating the addition of more backstories. The odd thing is that it doesn't work when you merge all of them into an individual file, so there might be a rogue </BackstoryDefs> somewhere, but I'm pretty much out of ideas.
When the game loads defs, if there is an error in a file, it won't load anything after that error, which is why you weren't getting any of the other backstories loaded in either. What are you using to edit these? I opened it in Visual Studio and it immediately showed me where the error was. I would highly recommend downloading it, it makes everything so much easier, you can get the 2013 community edition for free. Anyways, product placement over, I've tested it and it all works now :) All you need to do is fix that one line and they'll all work :)

Igabod

Quote from: mipen on March 28, 2015, 08:18:41 AM
Found the problem, it was in the first backstory. You forgot to close one of the <li> tags :)

When the game loads defs, if there is an error in a file, it won't load anything after that error, which is why you weren't getting any of the other backstories loaded in either. What are you using to edit these? I opened it in Visual Studio and it immediately showed me where the error was. I would highly recommend downloading it, it makes everything so much easier, you can get the 2013 community edition for free. Anyways, product placement over, I've tested it and it all works now :) All you need to do is fix that one line and they'll all work :)

I'm using notepad++ and it didn't highlight that mistake for some reason. I can't believe I didn't notice that though. I looked specifically for that error and must have just overlooked it.

ImpulsiveZombie

Ah! Darn it, I knew I missed something. Many thanks, friend! Works perfectly now.
Also, since I have 0 familiarity with code I used the vanilla Windows Notepad to edit the file. Yeah. I love to unintentionally set random difficulty curves for myself.
Probably for the best if I download VS, then :p

Igabod

Quote from: ImpulsiveZombie on March 28, 2015, 12:26:21 PM

Ah! Darn it, I knew I missed something. Many thanks, friend! Works perfectly now.
Also, since I have 0 familiarity with code I used the vanilla Windows Notepad to edit the file. Yeah. I love to unintentionally set random difficulty curves for myself.

VS is only free for 30 days, after which you have to buy the full version.

Goldenpotatoes

This mod seems to have problems when it comes to adding mods mid-use, especially for savefiles.

I made a few backstories for a save and around a year in I added another mod, which essentially broke the backstories for the colonists. The save still works, but after that, every colonist with a custom backstory now has a different one, which seems to be leading to issues with jobs. (one that used to be able to haul can't, now will indefinitely pick up an item that isn't forbidden, drop it, and repeat until item is forbidden.)

The concept is great but even changing load priority in the mod list seems to be enough to cause issues with saves (EdB's Prepare Carefully also comes to mind here).

test_account

Just get Notepad++

It's free, and superior to Notepad in every single way.

mipen

Quote from: Igabod on March 28, 2015, 12:38:22 PM

VS is only free for 30 days, after which you have to buy the full version.
The community version is free forever

InfinityKage

Anyway to make this a mod that does not need the modification of files? So I can just install it with the rest? Sounds really cool but I'm lazy as hell... Lol.

Kicker

I haven't seen it mentioned but when I add in mods or have to change a load order, the backstories mod doesn't initialize again until a full game reset.

Ray_Anor

We need in-game editor!!! It's will be REALLY COOOOOOOOL.
However, it's good mod.

Iwillbenicetou

Quote from: Ray_Anor on April 01, 2015, 08:24:33 AM
We need in-game editor!!! It's will be REALLY COOOOOOOOL.
However, it's good mod.
In-game editor... That's really really hard. you put this to the left of impossible.

On other notes, I have an Idea. Gamer. Born on the home world of the terrans, he/she got addicted to Video Games (and Steam(?)). Minus points to (social? and) labor tasks, like construction, mining. Great boost to Research.
Mod Help! The basics on how to download mods!

AKillerCoconut

Hey I wrote a childhood and an adulthood backstory I can confirm they work in game and are completely gender-correct, if anyone wants them or if you think they should be in the backstory mod I won't mind, just give me some credit somewhere. They are based around an apocolypse world that used to be a glitter world but was destroyed by atomic war. May be dangerously close to a Fallout game backstory but has some Rimworld references. <BackstoryDef>
<defName>VDVaultDweller</defName>
<title>Vault dweller</title>
<titleShort>Vault dweller</titleShort>
<baseDescription>NAME grew upon an apocalypse world scarred by atomic war in the safety of a massive secure underground complex known as a vault. In the vault HE was well educated and given every chance to excel at HIS assigned role in the flourishing society growing beneath the desolate wasteland. When HE came of age HE was given a choice to stay in the security of the vault with HIS family, or to leave and never return. On that day NAME chose to leave behind everything HE knew and take on a life of dangerous adventure.</baseDescription>
<slot>Childhood</slot>
<workDisables>
<li>None</li>
</workDisables>
<skillGains>
<li>
<defName>Medicine</defName>
<amount>2</amount>
</li>
<li>
<amount>1</amount>
</li>
<li>
  <amount>2</amount>
  </li>
<li>
<amount>-3</amount>
</li>
<li>
<defName>Construction</defName>
<amount>-2</amount>
</li>
<li>
  <defName>Growing</defName>
   <amount>-3</amount>
   </li>
</skillGains>
<spawnCategories>
<li>Civil</li>
<li>Raider</li>
</spawnCategories>
</BackstoryDef>
<BackstoryDef>
<defName>LWLoneWanderer</defName>
<title>Lone wanderer</title>
<titleShort>Lone wanderer</titleShort>
<baseDescription>NAME wandered the barren wasteland on HIS own in search of adventure. HISCAP biggest opportunity arose when HE happened across a spacer research crew scavenging the ruins of HIS planet for lost glitter tech. HISCAP innocent charm and knowledge of the capabilities of HIS homeworld's technology earned a spot on the crew helping to retrieve important discoveries left abandoned when The Great War ravaged the world into an irradiated shadow of its former self.</baseDescription>
<slot>Adulthood</slot>
<workDisables>
<li>PlantWork</li>
</workDisables>
<skillGains>
<li>
<defName>Medicine</defName>
<amount>1</amount>
</li>
<li>
<amount>2</amount>
</li>
<li>
   <amount>2</amount>
   </li>
<li>
<amount>3</amount>
</li>
<li>
<defName>Construction</defName>
<amount>-3</amount>
</li>
</skillGains>
<spawnCategories>
<li>Civil</li>
<li>Raider</li>
</spawnCategories>
</BackstoryDef>

P.S. just thought about it and the adulthood story wouldnt really make much sense with any other childhood story since it begins with "After NAME left the vault" if someone wants me to I'll change the description so it could fit a little better with other childhood stories

P.P.S. Too late, I already changed the description. Posted the updated desc. in the box. Enjoy  :)