Nominate a mod to be included in RimWorld!

Started by Tynan, May 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gyropilot

Quote from: Tynan on May 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM
-New art description content. I wish there was more diversity in the writing there!
I love to write. I'm not the best with programing, but I think I may fit some stories in the scrips with a little explanation. A lot of stories.
Also, I can translate stuff to portuguese, as I'm brazilian.

securitycop

redis heat mod i love the idea of the air ducts used with further advanced colonies

Mudder

Quote from: securitycop on August 30, 2016, 09:23:31 PM
redis heat mod i love the idea of the air ducts used with further advanced colonies

This and all Fluffy's UI mods are must have. Should be core.

Am I doing this thread right?
I'm a freelance programmer/web developer that spends way too much time here rather than making money.

Mackinz

Some mods I think should be in vanilla:

Trading Spot: Prevents unwanted friendly fire on traders during Raids. Forum Link
Mending: Allows repair of damaged clothing which would otherwise be discarded or sold.
ReclaimFabric: Allows the salvage of fabric from clothes, rather than discarding or selling them - especially useful for rare materials.
Miniaturisation: Allows the ability to easily reorganize a base and/or workshop, rather than wasting resources by deconstructing and constructing things. Forum Link

Primarily Steam links since I joined the community through Steam.

Krajca

Hardcore SK modpack has some good mods to add, like:

Combat Realism (Makes game's combat more realistic and more tactical and engaging.) updated by skyarkhangel
Turret Collection  (Full rework + combat realism.) by eatKenny
Hospitality (Allows your colonists to convince visitors to join your faction!) by Orion
EPOE (Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering gives you the ability to craft your own prostheses and artificial organs.) by Ykara
Edb Prepare Carefully  (Customize your RimWorld colonists.) by EdB
Fish Industry (Adds a aquaponics.) by Rikiki
Caveworld Flora  (In the caves are now growing mushrooms. Added new recipes for cooking food with mushrooms, as well as the ability to make a tincture on mushrooms!) by Rikiki

DariusWolfe

I think it's safe to say that we're never going to see Prepare Carefully, or any sort of repair/mending mod added into Vanilla, because these mods are designed to completely reverse purposeful design decisions. That's the beauty of mods; Sometimes you disagree with the designer as to what's important, and mods allow you to create the game you want to play. But random colonists is a purposeful design decision, as is the economy of replacing worn out equipment and clothing.

I'm not saying Tynan might not change his mind, but I think it'd take a pretty strong argument to make him think it worth the trouble.

Krajca

Quote from: DariusWolfe on September 09, 2016, 02:07:13 PM
I think it's safe to say that we're never going to see Prepare Carefully, or any sort of repair/mending mod added into Vanilla, because these mods are designed to completely reverse purposeful design decisions. That's the beauty of mods; Sometimes you disagree with the designer as to what's important, and mods allow you to create the game you want to play. But random colonists is a purposeful design decision, as is the economy of replacing worn out equipment and clothing.

I'm not saying Tynan might not change his mind, but I think it'd take a pretty strong argument to make him think it worth the trouble.
For me Prepare Carefully is already partially added through scenario editor and I don't see why not to add full colonist editor to it. It adds one more way to play the game as with storytellers - you can play safe and nice or choose Randy Random.

Helpful Bot

Please Tynan look at:
"Pawn State Icons" by killface https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=19941.0;topicseen
Brings basic information to the screen that would help both new and experienced players a great deal.

Serenity

Crafting Hysteresis is a must have. I have absolutely no idea why such a simple thing isn't in the base game.

And especially now with the drug system and more and more crafting jobs, it's time to add another layer to the work priority system as an option. Like Fluffy's Work Tab expose more of a the sub jobs to the user! All of them may be too confusing, but some of the jobs in medical, animal handling, constructing, cooking and crafting are absolutely essential.
Beginners can still use the check mark or simple numbers system

sulusdacor

since the thread seems still relevant, would love to see a bunch of ui/quality of life change mods included, like:

numbers
no cleaning please
allow tool
medical tab
storage search
work tab (haven played myself, but saw on stream and it looked super useful)
trading spot
feed the colonists
petfollow
quality builder
vein miner

A Friend

"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

bikboy

Quote from: Tynan on May 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM
So obviously you're welcome to many any mod you like; it's your work. However, if you have any desire to see your work integrated into the vanilla game, consider working on something in one of the below categories.

These are some kinds of mods which would be useful and relatively straightforward to integrate into vanilla. In each case, they're content additions to fill out the game without changing its core mechanics or breaking any fiction.

-New items. We have neurotrainers and artillery shells. You could add a special one-use item that does something cool, for the player to find in ancient tunnels or buy from traders?
-New GenSteps for map generation. Can you write a GenStep that generates a complex ancient temple underground? Or a devious pirate base?
-New incidents.
-New animals. I'd love to beef up the animal diversity in the existing biomes.
-New art description content. I wish there was more diversity in the writing there!

Other thoughts on content that could go in vanilla well:

Another important thing is: easy to maintain. If it depends only on stable systems I'm not planning on changing, it'll be easy to maintain. After all about 75% of my effort goes to maintenance, so even if a modder makes the whole mod perfectly I still have to do 75% of the work :p

Also I'd say it's good for things to be self-contained, well-fitting, distinct from existing features. Big content sets are generally too much. But a single cool building or incident can be great. Like Haplo's turbine. Or his ship part crash incident.

If a mod "wants" to be a much bigger system I'll generally not take it. I don't want half-done systems.

SpaceDorf

I re-nominate
Rikikis Caveworld Flora, still the best immersion enhancing Mod arround :)
All of Fluffy's Work, everybody loves good UI's + PetFollow and Wildlife Tab worked in
With a special Mention to Fluffy's Breakdown Mod which gives a better, less costly feeling to the
breakdown Event and maintenance immersion
Trader's Spot from TheUbie - the ultimate "Keep Those Muffalos where I can see 'em"-Mod

And the ultimate Convinience Mod : The Unforbid Tool - sadly I don't know by whom right now.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Viewer

I think the "Medical Training" mod by ItchyFlea would be a good addition to the base game; it adds a medical bed which a pawn uses to increase medical skill...by chopping up human corpses. I can see this sort of thing only being available for purchase from Pirate slavers (land-based or orbital), and giving a sizable decrease to mood when used. Here's a flavor text description (feel free to use it if you want):

"Don't have access to the latest Surgeon Simulator holos? Can't find the time to read an anatomy chart? Our state-of-the-art MediBed(tm) has you covered! Simply flip the switch, and our patented E-Z-Vicerate(tm) system will lay everything out for easy viewing! Best of all, our system automatically cleans up all the messy bits, leaving you completely spotless!"

MediBed(tm) - it hungers for corpses