Nominate a mod to be included in RimWorld!

Started by Tynan, May 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

EDIT - This is the old thread.  See the shiny new one here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=29505.0

So obviously you're welcome to many any mod you like; it's your work. However, if you have any desire to see your work integrated into the vanilla game, consider working on something in one of the below categories.

These are some kinds of mods which would be useful and relatively straightforward to integrate into vanilla. In each case, they're content additions to fill out the game without changing its core mechanics or breaking any fiction.

-New items. We have neurotrainers and artillery shells. You could add a special one-use item that does something cool, for the player to find in ancient tunnels or buy from traders?
-New GenSteps for map generation. Can you write a GenStep that generates a complex ancient temple underground? Or a devious pirate base?
-New incidents.
-New animals. I'd love to beef up the animal diversity in the existing biomes.
-New art description content. I wish there was more diversity in the writing there!

Other thoughts on content that could go in vanilla well:

Another important thing is: easy to maintain. If it depends only on stable systems I'm not planning on changing, it'll be easy to maintain. After all about 75% of my effort goes to maintenance, so even if a modder makes the whole mod perfectly I still have to do 75% of the work :p

Also I'd say it's good for things to be self-contained, well-fitting, distinct from existing features. Big content sets are generally too much. But a single cool building or incident can be great. Like Haplo's turbine. Or his ship part crash incident.

If a mod "wants" to be a much bigger system I'll generally not take it. I don't want half-done systems.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Adamiks

Quote from: Tynan on May 19, 2015, 12:15:50 PM
-New animals. I'd love to beef up the animal diversity in the existing biomes.

Maybe this mod by me and Dustrats by Ykara. I think these animals are in vanilla-like style. Oh, and Biodiversity, maybe? There are some vanilla-like animals. And Miscellaneous mod by Haplo have a lot of good stuffs (like traders - if this is even "incident"?).

Haplo

If you like anything in my Miscellaneous Mod, just tell me and it is yours ;)

Right now I have a new incident where you can investigate an anomaly that the sensors can find. This allows you to send a few colonists away to investigate it. They will be gone for a few days to travel there and may even find something neat..
But there is also the possibility that something/someone follows them home...
I just don't know if the building I use as the sensor station is ok for vanilla.
From my other stuff maybe only the weapon base, the key binding and the traders with their tents are usable for vanilla. Don't know.

But you know: If you see anything you're interested in, just tell me. ;D

Other than that, I would like working on the incidents, but have absolutely no idea of my own.
If someone has a good idea, I'm more than willing to try to create it (as long as my free time allows it.)
Or I can try myself on a GenStep. That is something I haven't done yet. But still there is the problem of the no ideas.. :'(

HBKRKO619

If their is one mod I really want to see in the vanilla game, it's the "TTM Custom Event" mod, it's actually dead since alpha 8 but it add a lot of really cool events and incidents.

Shinzy

Quote from: Haplo on May 19, 2015, 03:07:27 PMOther than that, I would like working on the incidents, but have absolutely no idea of my own.
If someone has a good idea, I'm more than willing to try to create it (as long as my free time allows it.)
Or I can try myself on a GenStep. That is something I haven't done yet. But still there is the problem of the no ideas.. :'(

Haplo!
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9755.msg99874#msg99874
there mite be whole lot of ideas for you ;D just pointing it out!
Edit: linked kegenerererekereku's post because it had nice long list of different kinds, but there's lot of more ideas in the thread there

Dr. Z

You may want to look at the Alpha Muffalo mod by Kirid and the sadly outdated mod Rimrats by Argain.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Adamiks

Quote from: Dr. Z on May 24, 2015, 07:22:35 PM
You may want to look at the Alpha Muffalo mod by Kirid and the sadly outdated mod Rimrats by Argain.

Why not Dustrats by Ykara (updated Rimrats?)?

Alistaire

26/5: I spent the evening adding some /TaleDefs/Tales_Misc.xml for mining and crafting.
The lines with an additional Tab were added by me.

27/5: I included some global rulepack defs into the sentences and added some for murder.

[attachment deleted due to age]

blaze7736

I have a simple incident in my game which allows for dropods to come full of animals from different areas, its cool since it adds divercity to the cloths and meat of the colony - if any ones interested i could post it.
ps sorry about the spelling

Tynan

Quote from: Alistaire on May 26, 2015, 04:08:49 PM
26/5: I spent the evening adding some /TaleDefs/Tales_Misc.xml for mining and crafting.
The lines with an additional Tab were added by me.

27/5: I included some global rulepack defs into the sentences and added some for murder.

These are pretty awesome! Thanks for offering them!

GamerGuy

I will edit in a link when I can but The mod that adds new hair styles would be nice also a tech tree. Will edit in links.

Edit: Hair styles https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=6585.0 by
Shinzy

Can't find the tech tree mod :(

milon

I think the Longsleep Revival doc would have some excellent ideas for willing modders.  (I have yet to learn RW modding, and likely won't have time after all.)

I know I'd love to see Boomfruit, Whip cacti, and Rocketrees!

skullywag

Tynan im going on a bit of a stuff based overhaul of most things in the game, is it something youve thought about doing? Im currently doing some rather hardcoded things for some bits like power generators which I feel could be done better (and would love to learn how if its possible) but things like all the worktables being stuffed is well on its way. I would happily hand it all over to core if you find any of it useful when im done. Im doing it modular so would be easy to pick and choose.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

skully - No overhaul mods, please. Overhauls I'll do myself; the requested mods are all content additions.

Bodog and others - This isn't a general ideas thread. I've split off some posts into a "Some ideas" thread in the suggestions forum. Please don't post general ideas here, this thread is only for discussing mod requests for vanilla.

MsMeiriona

I'd love to see something like the haul priority designator and the included unforbid designator, though Gaesatae doesn't seem to be around much. They did say "help yourself to the code" though.