Suggestions wanted: Animals!

Started by Tynan, July 03, 2015, 02:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarcTheMerc

I havant seen any one put it but the inclusion of some of those sentient creatures mentioned in the lore.
apes
horses
dogs
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Quasarrgames

Dinosaurs! T rex/stegosaurus/giant lizard.

Plesiosaurs! (or some other sea animal that pops out and eats any animal/human that comes close)

Alligators! They live in swamps and occasionally pop out to be hostile and eat things.

Birds! Hummingbirds that pollenate plants and make them grow faster, vultures that prey on corpses, and massive killer alphaeagles!

Bees! Same as hummingbirds above^ but spawn from hives. When colonists go near hives, bees attack them, and the colonists get a "Not the bees!" mood debuff.
On the right path, but the wrong medication.

I like how there's a thing that displays how long you've logged in to the forums. It shows just how many hours you've spent here, never to get back...

MrWiggles

Pretty much any animal, that folks tend to think of animals are sentient. Event ants are and worms.

MarcTheMerc

Perhaps sentient was the wrong way to word it, :-[ more possesing higher sentience as in human levels of intelligence. ;D
"So weird looking, like a twisted hulk of man and machine both scary and... well scary i mean it would look like a crab with limbs on limbs."

Yay i have a mod now ''https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=20513.0''; It adds mercs

Euzio

Pets for Joy purposes! (and maybe even beauty..)

- Cats (fed with meat)
- Hamsters (fed with vegetables)
- Birds (fed with vegetables)

And others for both Joy and useful purposes

- Horses (for hauling more items, faster movement across area, fed with vegetables)
- Dogs (for providing security, faster movement maybe via sled dogs during winter, fed with meat)

And those for strictly farming purposes

- Chickens (for eggs and meat)
- Sheep (for meat and wool)
- Cows (for meat and leather)

ChimpX

Research/build birdcages, fish tanks and terrariums for certain joy animals:
- parrots (also add beauty) but maybe they can go crazy and become Abrasive. I've met parrots like that.
- tropical fish (beauty)
- snakes/iguanas/tortoises
- belfries outside for bats (negative beauty?)

Colonists get joy from maintaining the tanks etc...

JimmyAgnt007

TLDR if its been said before, but if you have ever seen the movie Mysterious Island or read the book by Jules Verne then there are some neat creatures in that.  Giant crab you can find on beaches, giant bees that steal helpless colonists to feed to the hive, giant mollusc with tentacles to snatch colonists from the beach or water if we ever get boats.  Giant chicken was neat but you can pretty much put "giant" in front of anything in the animal kingdom.

The worms you mentioned, are they like the movie Tremors? 

Also, some type of ooze or blob monster that is only really harmed by fire.  Use campfires to keep it at bay but require Molotovs' and such to kill it.  Bullets dont work, energy shots do a little damage.  Regular explosives slow it down.

I also came up with an idea for a piece of fiction I am working on.  Called a Master Parasite.  Adjusted for Rimworld, there is a hidden hive and it infects animals, controlling them.  They attack isolated colonists in groups and infects them.  Control takes longer but eventually they belong to the hive.  Keeps going until everyone is infected.  However If you kill the hive all the controlled pawns go helpless and require surgery quickly to remove the parasite so they can be saved and returned to normal functions. 

Also take a look at all the creepy insects and micro organisms for more ideas.

TwixFunSize

I have 2 possible animals

(No Name) An animal that sometimes you find sucking on a power conduit or a battery, thus draining your power!

Bees! It would be cool if you could find bees in random trees, and you could somehow fight and kill off the bees to get the honey, which could be a Joy Item. Also it would be cool if you could create beehives!

MrWiggles

Quote from: MarcTheMerc on July 07, 2015, 02:55:54 AM
Perhaps sentient was the wrong way to word it, :-[ more possesing higher sentience as in human levels of intelligence. ;D
Sapient then. A much smaller club.

Sentience is just being able to feel pain. Though it more generally means the ability to perceive your surrounding. Which is pretty much any animal.

WickedGoddess

I think livestock animals might be a great idea.  Cows, or Yacks, Chickens and Sheep.  Each provides resources, leather, meat, eggs, wool, milk.  You could breed and kill them or just harvest resources like the wool or eggs. It could be an event like the alpha beavers.  You have spotted Cows roaming on the plains.  Jump to location?  click on cow Capture cow, kill cow, harvest from cow.  If you have a live stock "room" then you can catch other wise you have to kill or harvest.  You could make "farm fence" to make a room for live stock.

Mr.Cross

Well for starters
Alternate skins for different biomes could help. Hell some small subspecies (just another variation of color) could be added to any exsisting map (like a rare deformity, possibly have some aim bonuses or debuffs?)
Dinos! because i'm crazy for them. Maybe the smaller versions. Like Archaeopteryx, Too kill two birds with one stone (see what I did there?)
Phorusrhacidae (Terror birds) Flightless meat eating birds... Who could ask for more? and Tynan if you read this. Just imagine, Tribal raiders riding on these things to battle. Oh how the fear shall come!
Some sort of alien species *Cough cough* nods to  profile pic, personal text, and signature. (hell even knock offs would be good.)

wyvern- Might be good for an incident, Have one or a couple (depending on the sie of your colony) either Snatch and drag them to the corners of your base, or If you can ever visit other places on your world. Go fetch them where they will (if not rescued) be eaten, or kept for more nefarious reasons. (your call.)

If you need any more, Just let us know. After all we have the internet we can scrounge for more idea's.
Claims to know most things.

skullywag

I have an animal im modding in the moment this new feature drops....chickens...or some form of egg laying bird. Please beat me to it, i feel with this change it should be core.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

StorymasterQ

Quote from: skullywag on July 08, 2015, 03:52:11 AM
...chickens...

If you attack chickens, what would happen? So many examples, from Zelda to Skyrim.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

skullywag

Thats one of the things id be modding in, if chicken attacked all nearby chickens go manhunter. Hilarity would ensue..:D
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Snownova

Catfish or Xenoprawn, only spawns/moves in shallow water and swamp areas. Gives a lot of meat.