[A11d] Tools For Jobs (v1.2)

Started by Wivex, August 04, 2015, 04:26:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wivex

Description:

This mod makes pawns to use tools to perform some of the jobs. No more tree punching.

Tested Compability:
Features and Behaviour:

• Tools can be crafted on Tool Bench.
  • You start with 1 tool of each type by default.
  • Currently modded jobs are building/repairing (using hammers), plant cutting/harvesting (using handaxes), mining (using pickaxes).
  • Pawns cannot perform these jobs without tool.
  • Tools count as melee weapons, but substantially weak.
  • Pawns will automatically pick up tools, perform the corresponding jobs and haul tools on weapon stockpile, otherwise keep them.
  • If non tool weapon was equipped before starting a job, pawn will drop it, but keep reserved to pick up later automatically.
Changelog:

Version 1.2:
- Fixed a bug: colonists trying to repair graves and other non-intended buildings.
- Fixed a bug: made changes to the tool's def names so they don't cause any problems with any other similar def names (like "BuildingRubble" and "Building_Hammer").
- Made tools an exception for hunting job, so pawns won't go hunting with them.
- Replaced sparks animation for contructing and repairing of metal buildings to dust puffs, to be more realistic when building with hammer.
- Some xml optimizations and rebalancing.

Version 1.1:
- added drop pods on embark with 1 tool of each type (Edb Prepare Carefully compabile).
- fixed a bug: pawns not changing tools when no tool stockpile exist.

Downloads:
Credits:

[attachment deleted due to age]

mrofa

You could do some cheap incident to drop some basic tools at the start, but other than that greate work :)
All i do is clutter all around.

I've been waiting for something like this since RightToolForTheJob came around many alphas ago.

The only thing is, perhaps instead of preventing the work from being completed without a tool, it just takes a ridiculously long time (10x or 100x normal).  It's possible to do any of the three jobs without formal tools (ie, you could mine just by picking up and using rock shards from the ground) but would take you forever.

Also, shouldn't the stuff categories for making the tools be Metallic and Stony (instead of Woody)?
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Powered By

skyarkhangel

Thank you for great work. it adds realism! I really waiting for someone it can do :)

Wivex

Quote from: 1000101 on August 04, 2015, 06:51:12 AM
The only thing is, perhaps instead of preventing the work from being completed without a tool, it just takes a ridiculously long time (10x or 100x normal).
I personally don't like that idea (though it can be done), because it neglects the tool requirement as a concept. I will redone work speed system and add more tools (for other jobs and more advanced for already existing), but it will be another global mod. Something like Skullywag is working on. Maybe we'll cooperate.

Quote from: 1000101 on August 04, 2015, 06:51:12 AM
Also, shouldn't the stuff categories for making the tools be Metallic and Stony (instead of Woody)?
Stones are needed to be cut in blocks, which is inconvinient at an embarkment point. You shoould be able to make new tools ASAP.

skullywag

have you thought about adding your own genstep instead of relying on EdB PC? It does mean any other mods that add a genstep to mapgen would conflict (well would just plain break actually), we really need a system for multiple mods to be able to add to mapgen, unless there is one already???
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Shinzy

Quote from: skullywag on August 04, 2015, 08:04:10 AMwe really need a system for multiple mods to be able to add to mapgen, unless there is one already???

Chop chop! you and vivisection get to it! make it so!

Wivex

Quote from: skullywag on August 04, 2015, 08:04:10 AM
have you thought about adding your own genstep instead of relying on EdB PC?
Now that lots of people start to mention it, i think i will do ASAP.

skyarkhangel

Quote from: Wivex on August 04, 2015, 10:55:11 AM
Quote from: skullywag on August 04, 2015, 08:04:10 AM
have you thought about adding your own genstep instead of relying on EdB PC?
Now that lots of people start to mention it, i think i will do ASAP.

ASAP try to use seedplease source to spawn, like Potato seeds in Seedplease. Because, if you make a simple Genstep, it not be auto compatible with Edb PC.

Wivex

Quote from: skyarkhangel on August 04, 2015, 12:19:21 PM
Because, if you make a simple Genstep, it not be auto compatible with Edb PC.

I didn't get it. From what i saw Edb PC use standart generator unless activated. So you either add tools with it yourself on Edb PC screen or not using this mod and my simple Genstep would work just fine. What is the point?

Quote from: Wivex
Quote from: 1000101The only thing is, perhaps instead of preventing the work from being completed without a tool, it just takes a ridiculously long time (10x or 100x normal).
I personally don't like that idea (though it can be done), because it neglects the tool requirement as a concept. I will redone work speed system and add more tools (for other jobs and more advanced for already existing), but it will be another global mod. Something like Skullywag is working on. Maybe we'll cooperate.
I can see your point, but without tools you're f*cked which is simply a game breaker.  There needs to be an "oh sh*t, well, at least I can dig dirt with my hands, albeit slowly" fail safe.  I don't think this neglects the tool requirement at all, quite the opposite, it reinforces it.

Quote from: Wivex
Quote from: 1000101Also, shouldn't the stuff categories for making the tools be Metallic and Stony (instead of Woody)?
Stones are needed to be cut in blocks, which is inconvinient at an embarkment point. You shoould be able to make new tools ASAP.
Of course you should be able to build tools quickly, but that doesn't change what I said.  Since the items are stuffed, they use one material.  None of the tools presented have ever been made of wood other than the handle, and you explicitly prevent woodlogs from being used.  In the vanilla game, woodlogs is the only "woody" material so it's self-defeating.  Stone, on the other hand, has always been a building material.  It was the first building material.  All tools at one point were stones.

I think adjusting the tool requirement to make jobs without tools be performed at a much slower rate and adjusting the materials to something which can be used (allowing a stuff category then blacklisting everything in it ???) is a far superior solution than messing with the map gen which can and will break mod compatibility.

In case I forgot to mention it, this is awesome, great work.  :)
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.