[1.0][MODLIST] Fluffy's Mods - New mini-mod: Power Cleaner [BETA]

Started by Fluffy (l2032), September 14, 2015, 06:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fluffy (l2032)

I've been working on a more flexible mod config screen, and I'd like your feedback!

The current version is rough, and not all functionality is implemented. Here's what it does;
- Two side-by-side lists of mods, available and active
- search (filter) both lists (with an option to highlight matches (vanilla way, default for active), or only show matches (more useful for large lists, default for avaiable)).
- drag and drop activate and reorder
- keyboard navigation (tab switches between filters and lists, arrows select mods, enter activates/deactives - there is currently no way to reorder)
- deals with multiple versions of the same mod (click the little icons to switch between versions).
- create local copies of steam mods (icon in bottom right)
- delete local mods

What I plan to implement;
- finetune/expand keyboard navigation
- create/load modlists
- mass create local copies of all steam mods in your mod list
- ModSync integration (either modsync itself, or a similar approach)

Current issues;
Translation strings are not yet set, so you'll see weird (but readable) characters, much shorter tooltips, etc.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Tsunamy

ModSync is very limited in what it can do, it's nowhere near as robust as its predecessor. It really limits what mod authors can use for file hosting and relies on them to keep an extra xml file up to date for it to function correctly. Hardly anyone has adopted it. Your own system would probably be better.

Dingo

Seems like quite a diss on ModSync considering you've never authored a mod using either it or its predecessor.

@Fluffy Looks cool. Noticed some clipping issues with text but I assume that's a last priority thing.

Tsunamy

Quote from: Dingo on September 14, 2018, 08:23:25 PM
Seems like quite a diss on ModSync considering you've never authored a mod using either it or its predecessor.
I authored a mod on its predecessor. I was very disappointed with how limited the new ModSync is, ad I was really disappointed the creator wasn't interested in making it more robust. There is just not enough incentive to use it, for authors or users.

It's simply my honest opinion.

Fluffy (l2032)

@Tsunamy; Actually, I much prefer the route the new ModSync is going. A centralized system requires authentication (which was a pain), and costs money (which no one wants to pay for). Updating a Version.xml (or ModSync.xml, or etc.) can be automated much easier. In fact, many of us already automate updating the About.xml.

@Dingo; it's not meant as a diss, I just don't like the clunky interfaces of the mod config screens I've seen. Vanilla sucks for anything over 20 mods, and while ModSwitch has many useful features - it still uses mostly the vanilla UI.

rawrfisher

ResearchTree :: MindAlteringTechSW has a lower techlevel than (one of) it's prerequisites
Verse.Log:Warning(String, Boolean)
FluffyResearchTree.Log:Warning(String, Object[])
FluffyResearchTree.Tree:CheckPrerequisites()
Verse.LongEventHandler:UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent(Boolean&)
Verse.LongEventHandler:LongEventsUpdate(Boolean&)
Verse.Root:Update_Patch1(Object)
Verse.Root_Play:Update()

Probly should be bugging somone different about this :P
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Nightinggale

Quote from: Tsunamy on September 14, 2018, 07:14:33 PM
ModSync is very limited in what it can do, it's nowhere near as robust as its predecessor. It really limits what mod authors can use for file hosting and relies on them to keep an extra xml file up to date for it to function correctly. Hardly anyone has adopted it. Your own system would probably be better.
I have a hard time finding anything in that outburst, which would be correct. I can't see any issues with robustness. In fact not using a central server has removed the single point of failure, which could take down everything. The central server only supported GitHub while the new one supports GitHub, GitLab and Direct. The latter means you can provide the links to each file and it allows using any host, even self hosting if you like. The old system relied on an extra xml file as well.

I can't comment on how many mod creators use ModSync, but your attitude creates a "chicken and egg" issue. It's not really an argument.

Quote from: Tsunamy on September 14, 2018, 07:14:33 PMYour own system would probably be better.
This is the worst modding statement I have seen in quite a while and the main reason why I reply. You are basically stating that each mod should implement a unique system from scratch. That would really be a waste of the most valuable resource in any modding community: manhours of skilled people. There is a tool available. It gets the job done. Why should anybody waste time creating something new to do the very same thing? Besides if we end up with multiple versions of ModSync clones, all configured in different ways and possibly incompatible, we would likely end up with a mess, which is hard to handle for mod creators and worst case it will make mods incompatible for no other reason than how they try to check for updates.

Think of it this way: railroads have a certain gauge (distance between rails). It can be changed and historically it has happened a few times. Each time it has happened, it has been an epic task, both in manhours and money and it has always been to match some other railroad to allow transfer of trains. Today we have a world standard (with a few exceptions). There are arguments to why it isn't the best gauge in the modern world, but it's a more than 200 year old standard and it's what we got. Sticking to not spending resources on new standards and maintaining a common standard is far better than the possible benefits of changes.

You are basically saying we should do the opposite. There is one standard with ModSync. It works well (despite what you said). You argue that we should abandon the standard, make multiple unique and incompatible systems which hurts both mod creators and user friendliness and I fail to see any benefits at all to making a ModSync competitor. If you are unhappy with ModSync, contribute with an improvement. ModSync is open source and that way you can get whatever feature you request without fragmenting the modding community.
ModCheck - boost your patch loading times and include patchmods in your main mod.

Tsunamy

Quote from: Nightinggale on September 15, 2018, 11:03:51 PMI have a hard time finding anything in that outburst, which would be correct.

I don't like being put on the defensive by the insinuations that I'm creating an 'outburst' or a 'diss'. Fluffy said they were thinking of using it, and I suggested they make something different, because quite frankly, I don't it. There's a reason everyone uses Workshop despite how shit it is: centralization. Using a forum format for mods is a mess for anything that isn't advertising your work. Instead of looking into ways of making a centralized system cheaper and autonomous, it was scrapped altogether. I think this is a mistake, and is the primary reason for its sub-1% adoption rate.

Just, do whatever you like. I already made myself command line scripts that handle everything I want done with my mod folder, so it's no skin off my back. Getting into a heated forum argument over it isn't something I'm interested in.

Fluffy (l2032)

@Nightingale; I (mostly) agree, I'm just not sure about some of the implementation details of ModSync, and what should or shouldn't be in a manifest file. That's a discussion to be in the ModSync thread though. In any case, I'd keep my solution as interoperable with ModSync as possible.

@Tsunamy; it depends on what you want from ModSync, or a similar mod/app. I don't expect anything more than a version check at this point, and I'm hoping to get dependency and load order hints to be included as well. I don't expect ModSync to be a new Workshop or Nexus - although it could potentially allow the development of such an app in the future.

And yes, the forums _suck_ for mod distribution, especially for users. Steam Workshop is also not a great system, mostly because of its lack of even the most basic version control system.

Fluffy (l2032)

Stuffed Floors has been updated for B19. I've refactored it to use the now vanilla designator dropdowns, so it no longer requires ArchitectSense.

krnja21

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on September 17, 2018, 01:50:25 PM
Stuffed Floors has been updated for B19. I've refactored it to use the now vanilla designator dropdowns, so it no longer requires ArchitectSense.

Great mod, one question tho:

It says it supports T's more floors, but i seem to be missing the other type of carpets from that mod, wooly carpets or something.
Ironwood flooring is missing as well.

Dont know if this is a bug, or an oversight, or something else, thought i'd report it anyway.

Also, i love your mods dude <3

rawrfisher

If I recall correctly it was only a partial integration.

Been quite a while since I saw anything about it tho.
Professional jerk
Want something broken let me know

Fluffy (l2032)

@krnja21; support for other mods' floors has changed a bit, since it's now possible for these authors to 'group' their floors themselves. I've clearly not tested it thoroughly enough, since I do indeed appear to be deleting the More Floors category without moving the designators first. Bugger!

krnja21

Here's the thing tho -  T's more floors mod adds a Wool Loom workstation that has only one purpose - to make wooly cloth for this specific type of carpets.

Kinda sucks if that whole production chain is disabled  :-\

It sucks double hard if you've been collecting these pricey wool cloth for a while now to cover 8 bedrooms at once, and once you're almost there you add this mod into your save file just to find the wool carpets are disabled, so all that wool turns out to be wasted  >:(  :D

Fluffy (l2032)

They're back now, but in the Floors category. Sorry about that, it wasn't intentional!