[A12d][ModPack] The ModVarietyPack

Started by simon-82, November 01, 2015, 02:28:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simon-82

Quote from: TLHeart on November 02, 2015, 04:02:29 PM
removing the faction will not affect when the weapons spawn in, as  the weapon is available, it will be used by other factions, at anytime. the ONLY factions limited to specific weapons are the tribal, and the mechs.

As dismar said, he has two versions of his mod pack, without seeds, his preferred style, and one with seeds, so others can also use his mod.

an MD extension is NOT a default mode that can be open by any windows program. Try to actually read an md file opened with notepad.... or wordpad.  a true readme file is a text file.
Alright, so taking the faction out won't help.
So the only option is to actually nerf these guns? Would be a shame. I'll think about it. Maybe there is another solution...

The readme.md I included in the modpack opens and reads just fine both with windows notepad and wordpad.
I literally tried it a minute ago.
And BTW, an .md file IS a text file ;)

Fluffy, all clicking the jobtype does is sort by skill level, it does not set the entire column to a job priority of 1 or 2 or 3 or 4, like I can with the EdB interface. At least with the version supplied with this mod.
Try reading the tooltip when you mouse-over the jobtype. It says shift + click the jobtype ;)

Fluffy (l2032)

it's a shift or right click iirc, I'm sure it's been there for a while. Should be in the tooltip too.

edit: i should listen when the forum tells me there's been a new post. Shift click it is :P

TLHeart

Glad you can open md files with notepad and read them. I get to see one long text string with all the markup language included, not readable to a non programmer.

MD is a marked up text file, not a generic text file.

Okay, so enhanced tabs has a HIDDEN way, that is not intuitive, or as easy to use as EdB... I will stick to EdB, very visual and intuitive interface. If it is not easy to see or use, people will never use it.

TLHeart

Quote from: Fluffy (l2032) on November 02, 2015, 04:28:19 PM
it's a shift or right click iirc, I'm sure it's been there for a while. Should be in the tooltip too.

edit: i should listen when the forum tells me there's been a new post. Shift click it is :P

too bad your way his hidden away, not intuitive, or easy to use. I prefer EdB way, with the box at the top row, to change everyone.

Fluffy (l2032)

Quote from: TLHeart on November 02, 2015, 04:34:10 PM
Glad you can open md files with notepad and read them. I get to see one long text string with all the markup language included, not readable to a non programmer.

MD is a marked up text file, not a generic text file.

Okay, so enhanced tabs has a HIDDEN way, that is not intuitive, or as easy to use as EdB... I will stick to EdB, very visual and intuitive interface. If it is not easy to see or use, people will never use it.
First of, markdown is an extremely simple markup language that is actually meant to me human readable even if not parsed in a 'proper' editor. The fact that you're getting one long string is an issue (either with the file or your editor), and should be looked at.

Second, it's not exactly hidden (tooltip + 'how it works' section in the mod thread). The fact that it is not a button on it's own is a design decision - I did not want to 'clutter' the view with extra butons when not strictly necessary.

As for you preferring EdB, that's perfectly fine, and I won't loose any sleep over it. I'm sure there's others that feel the same way, which is why variety is a good thing. I'm doing mods for fun, pleasing everyone is impossible, and trying to would suck the fun out.

Sukha

Quote from: TLHeart on November 02, 2015, 01:24:21 PM
on the overpowered rimsinel weapons... 1st raid, shiv, second raid tribal, 3rd raid via a chased refugee event, I have 1 optic pistol.  4th raid, more tribal. artifact event, 2 sythers, dead thanks to the huge tribal visitors. 6th event, peacekeepers, now have 3 optic pistols, 1 optics rifle, for my 6 colonists.

Raids are now a non event.

On github, requires an account.

And since I stopped playing when I hit the broken glassworks, I will say this about seeds... Great Idea, but really does not work in game.  Don't need seeds to prevent being able to grow everything from the beginning. Saying that Just growing inside eliminates the problem, is a closed minded argument.. especially since the first part says, "★ A modpack about variety and player choice. "

Seeds adds lots of micromanagement, extra work time, and a whole lot of frustration to the game. People either love or hate seeds, very few are in the middle.

LOL TL, did you just rephrase everything I said? :D

The OP has some weird attachment to the Rimsenal weapons in its current state. He's so bent on keeping them as they are, that he is willing to remove race component before trying to balance them...

Same with Seeds, when 3 people give sound reasoning on bad mechanics in Seeds. The OP keeps replying with the same "its OK, build a sunlamp or micromanage 10 different fields remembering each time exactly 1 month before winter to turn seed planting off". Keeping in mind that different colonies have different planting cycles, this is very tedious and not considered fun game-play by many.

At a time when UOM has been banned and SK is what it is, people are hungry for nice modpack. But this ModVarietyPack should have its front page changed to not confuse people into believing that this is something they can attribute or look forward to, unless it perfectly fits the Authors view on what is fun and balanced.
Even a no Seeds version is out the question it seems.

skyarkhangel

Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 05:59:05 PM

The OP has some weird attachment to the Rimsenal weapons in its current state. He's so bent on keeping them as they are, that he is willing to remove race component before trying to balance them...

Same with Seeds, when 3 people give sound reasoning on bad mechanics in Seeds. The OP keeps replying with the same "its OK, build a sunlamp or micromanage 10 different fields remembering each time exactly 1 month before winter to turn seed planting off". Keeping in mind that different colonies have different planting cycles, this is very tedious and not considered fun game-play by many.

At a time when UOM has been banned and SK is what it is, people are hungry for nice modpack. But this ModVarietyPack should have its front page changed to not confuse people into believing that this is something they can attribute or look forward to, unless it perfectly fits the Authors view on what is fun and balanced.

Seeds is one of the best mods, all your conclusions based on the fact that you want a simple gameplay. I played UOM too, its much easier then vanilla. For me personally, i'am lost interest in the game after 6-8 hours, because there is no difficulty even on extreme difficulty.. I got everything I wanted. What the main goal in UOM? It wasn't, Nine only add and balanced mods for game with no main goal. So I set a goal to create a really complex modpack, that it forced to turn on the brain. To think and ponder how to win, how to solve the problem, eventually how to survive.
Perhaps this is due to the mentality. Here in Russia, most of players don't know about UOM, but who knows, find it too simple as a sandbox. Sometimes I even thought to remove HCSK modpack from ludeon forum, because statistics says that about ~70% downloads from Russia and this quantity is only growing. So, i spend superfluous time on the English version of the game, bcs very few English-speaking players understand what is the complexity and why its needed. Moreover, I have a lot of time is spent on the development of own mods and textures, so i have a less time  for balance.

dismar

Quote from: skyarkhangel on November 02, 2015, 06:48:41 PM

Seeds is one of the best mods, all your conclusions based on the fact that you want a simple gameplay. I played UOM too, its much easier then vanilla. For me personally, i'am lost interest in the game after 6-8 hours, because there is no difficulty even on extreme difficulty.. I got everything I wanted. What the main goal in UOM? It wasn't, Nine only add and balanced mods for game with no main goal. So I set a goal to create a really complex modpack, that it forced to turn on the brain. To think and ponder how to win, how to solve the problem, eventually how to survive.
Perhaps this is due to the mentality. Here in Russia, most of players don't know about UOM, but who knows, find it too simple as a sandbox. Sometimes I even thought to remove HCSK modpack from ludeon forum, because statistics says that about ~70% downloads from Russia and this quantity is only growing. So, i spend superfluous time on the English version of the game, bcs very few English-speaking players understand what is the complexity and why its needed.

Be a very sad day if Sky left us. I love all the work we get from ya.

Sukha

Perhaps this is due to the mentality. Here in Russia, most of players don't know about UOM, but who knows, find it too simple as a sandbox. Sometimes I even thought to remove HCSK modpack from ludeon forum, because statistics says that about ~70% downloads from Russia anf i spend superfluous time on the English version of the game.

No one ever seems to care to defend their love for Seeds by countering Arguments. You attack my position by saying my sense of balance is based on UOM, when in fact I didn't bring up UOM in my opposing arguments.

I never mentioned I want easy gameplay, SK mod is ezmode with its crazy turrets so don't get me started on that. Just because SK has nonsensically complex production chains doesn't make the game any harder.
You like to attribute Hard gameplay to bad design, that's your choice. Hard and Annoying are not =
Good game mechanic either works or is deleted, you cannot have buggy shit in a game and tell your players to just not use the mechanic a way in which its broken.

At no point was I praising UOM either, it was very unbalanced as well. Which is the reason I would like to see a more condensed modpack concentrating on balance, which in turn would make the game actually harder.

I am Russian too, what does that say about your theory?

skyarkhangel

Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 07:08:41 PM
No one ever seems to care to defend their love for Seeds by countering Arguments. You attack my position by saying my sense of balance is based on UOM, when in fact I didn't bring up UOM in my opposing arguments.

I never mentioned I want easy gameplay, SK mod is ezmode with its crazy turrets so don't get me started on that. Just because SK has nonsensically complex production chains doesn't make the game any harder.
You like to attribute Hard gameplay to bad design, that's your choice. Hard and Annoying are not =
Good game mechanic either works or is deleted, you cannot have buggy shit in a game and tell your players to just not use the mechanic a way in which its broken.

At no point was I praising UOM either, it was very unbalanced as well. Which is the reason I would like to see a more condensed modpack concentrating on balance, which in turn would make the game actually harder.

I am Russian too, what does that say about your theory?

it only says that you don't have a normal game experience.
Broken, unbalanced... Oh yees.. in UOM like would work all fine, Nine everyday fix and fix their bugs with no end. And as mentioned above, i spent a lot of time for development own mods, textures and have a much less time for balancing everyday.

About complexity. Of course you would like build only automatic turrets with killboxes. Great game! And then measure who's killboxes better. I am fighting with this part of game. By the way in next version, the chances of diversion increased about 5-6 times. I don't dispute that there are Russians, like you ;)

Sukha

Quote from: skyarkhangel on November 02, 2015, 07:28:03 PM
Broken, unbalanced... Oh yees.. in UOM like would work all fine, Nine everyday fix and fix their bugs with no end. And as mentioned above, i spent a lot of time for development own mods, textures and have a much less time for balancing everyday.

About complexity. Of course you would like build only automatic turrets with killboxes. Great game! And then measure who's killboxes better. I am fighting with this part of game. By the way in next version, the chances of diversion increased about 5-6 times. I don't dispute that there are Russians, like you ;)

I have no idea what you are trying to say. English is obviously not your strong suite. Since you managed to ignore everything I wrote and drew weird parallels and conclusions about things I never did.
You realize I actually criticized your mod for being too easy because of the turrets you have in the mod?

skyarkhangel

Quote from: Sukha on November 02, 2015, 07:39:55 PM
Quote from: skyarkhangel on November 02, 2015, 07:28:03 PM

I have no idea what you are trying to say. English is obviously not your strong suite. Since you managed to ignore everything I wrote and drew weird parallels and conclusions about things I never did.
You realize I actually criticized your mod for being too easy because of the turrets you have in the mod?

Yep, i always focused primarily on russian community and this is my first experience with an English-speaking audience. As you, drew weird parallels and conclusions about "not playable" balance.. I did not notice, that for example, russian let's players had real problems.

I agree, turrets overpowered, but they have a very low vitality and big cost. It's real, just compare the simple machinegun with artillery or tank cannon and think about how many times this weapon effectively.

TheGentlmen

I'd write a 100+ word essay about it, but I've already done one about CCL. Mabey tommorow.

Anyway, I hate seeds, thier utter anoyance. Like its a good idea in theory, sadly thier are not the mechanics in place to make it anything more than tedious micromanagement. Even I, the person who throws bricks and catches then with my head can't see it injoyable.

I like making raids bigger, cuase when I die I go like 'Mabey I should've defended the hallway more' or 'I need more turrets', I know that if I did something different I might have won. I can see why I failed, even if its that 'they raids were too big'.

I made extreme tempetures cuase I wanted a challenge. Mabey if I had gotten cyrosleep pads I could have won. Mabey if I dug into the mountain (while having mountain temp on)I could have survived.

Seeds isn't that. One day your all line and dandy then a cold snap. POOF. its all gone. well, almost. You got some, but you can't feed 5 people on 1 seed. Oh, did I think it would start to get cold a day latter then they actually did? POOF! their all gone.

Sukha

Removed rather offensive post, this kind of posting will not be tolerated. You have been warned.

-Ramsis

TLHeart

Perhaps this is due to the mentality. Here in Russia, most of players don't know about UOM, but who knows, find it too simple as a sandbox. Sometimes I even thought to remove HCSK modpack from ludeon forum, because statistics says that about ~70% downloads from Russia and this quantity is only growing. So, i spend superfluous time on the English version of the game, bcs very few English-speaking players understand what is the complexity and why its needed. Moreover, I have a lot of time is spent on the development of own mods and textures, so i have a less time  for balance.
Sky, seeds with the current mechanics are bad, plain and simple. Complications, and stupid programming does not make a game challenging. Your modpak is so broken, it is unplayable. And don't even start to say it is bug free, or does not have memory leaks... it has huge ones.

But it is what it is, and even the new updates, it still lags, stalls, and is so unbalanced that I have already deleted it again.

Want to implement seeds correctly, where crop fields do NOT produce seeds, just as in real life, and actual fields or hydroponics are planted for the actual seeds. that I would embrace.

I totally understand complexity, and your mod pack is not complex. True balance would make it complex, which you refuse to devote anytime to.

But you can continue to disparage English speakers, not understanding Russians...