Your Cheapest Ideas

Started by Tynan, October 09, 2013, 12:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blub01

Quote from: Mechanoid Hivemind on September 04, 2015, 09:48:48 PM
Quote from: Mr. Picard on September 04, 2015, 09:49:33 AM
Cheap Idea

Able to more quickly select different pawns, similar to EnB's Interface. This mod is used by many, and many people would love to see it implemented into vanilla game.
With a toggle for people who dont like it cause i know a few but yes +1

well, the bugs would be fixed of course.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Repne

I want that in the game was the holidays, or celebrations.
In those days, people would consider an increased portion of food and alhocol.
Maybe even the abbreviated working hours and more time on entertainment.
In example: Landing day, new year..

Who supports this?

(this text is translated by google.translate)

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Here are some cheap(ish) ideas for you
You should add something like a rumba or some other form of robotic vacuum to help clear up the colony. I have noticed that the colonist will leave certain areas out for cleaning. ,Anne what you can do is use something like a boomrat ai and change it to "graze" dirt and other things like that are things that you can clean up. You could also use the zones to allow players to tell the rumba vacuum where to clean so it's not going across the map to clean a little bit of dirt. Finally, you can have a "charging station" or an animal sleeping spot that requires electricity, with that you could probably rename the "rest" to charge. It would basically be an animal ai that looks and eats dirt, charges instead of resting, and will only vacuum where it is told to.

Monkeys with guns! It would be cool to get to train monkeys how to use guns to help you defend your colony. Up they probably wouldn't be able to lug a big gun like a mini gun (such a weird name for a large gun, isn't it?) but they might be able hit someone with but have low accuracy. This was a random though and would be cool to see so I suggested it.

Finally, I think we should be able to tell our colonist to plant grass to make ranching large amounts of animals easier with a confined(ish) space
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

akiceabear

Better AI for food hoppers - make pawns switch out an item that is too limited to make a meal, and switch in another item that is numerous (perhaps the most numerous allowed item). Currently this requires micro, either to disallow the limited type, or more often just forcing a poor pawn to consume it raw and then move in something more abundant.

Zobaken

Please add refrigerators to store a separate amount of food in the kitchen without building another cold room.

Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed

Experiment on animals! Gene-splice them, genetically modify them, turn them into cyborgs! Make them bigger, stronger, faster than they were were before! I want a pack of cyberwargs.
It could be a way to add in home-made bonics research, if after you research the tech and get the workbench your scientist still has to perfect it by experimenting on prisoners and volunteers and critters.

And yes I do like things to be a little gritty and dark sometimes :p

blub01

Quote from: Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed on September 06, 2015, 02:02:03 AM
Experiment on animals! Gene-splice them, genetically modify them, turn them into cyborgs! Make them bigger, stronger, faster than they were were before! I want a pack of cyberwargs.
It could be a way to add in home-made bonics research, if after you research the tech and get the workbench your scientist still has to perfect it by experimenting on prisoners and volunteers and critters.

did you notice the thread is called "your CHEAPEST ideas"? your suggestion does require quite a lot of work, even if you leave out the special research required(on prisoners, etc.). There is just absolutely nothing like genesplicing in the game, so Tynan would have create an entirely new system for it.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Quote from: blub01 on September 06, 2015, 03:13:40 AM
Quote from: Shipwrecked_and_Comatosed on September 06, 2015, 02:02:03 AM

did you notice the thread is called "your CHEAPEST ideas"? your suggestion does require quite a lot of work, even if you leave out the special research required(on prisoners, etc.). There is just absolutely nothing like genesplicing in the game, so Tynan would have create an entirely new system for it.

Chillout bro. I just got excited and forgot for a moment that the thread was meant for cheap ideas only. Ah well, no harm done.

Jorlem

The description for boomalopes states that they were genetically engineered to produce volatile chemicals.  I would like to suggest that these chemicals be added as something they produce in game, like other animals can produce wool or milk.  Then, the chemicals could be sold to traders or used to produce IEDs.

TheVoidDragon

Some sort of stun weapon to help capture things would be nice. Obviously there would need to be some sort of downside to it so it's not overpowered and can't be use to just take everything/everyone you see. Perhaps have it so it has a chance to incapacitate what it hits, but there's also a chance that it will just damage/destroy parts of them instead.

That way it might take several hits to get something down depending on what it is, but you're also risking not having them at full health it if does work.

Quote from: TheVoidDragon on September 06, 2015, 08:20:11 AM
Some sort of stun weapon to help capture things would be nice. Obviously there would need to be some sort of downside to it so it's not overpowered and can't be use to just take everything/everyone you see. Perhaps have it so it has a chance to incapacitate what it hits, but there's also a chance that it will just damage/destroy parts of them instead.

That way it might take several hits to get something down depending on what it is, but you're also risking not having them at full health it if does work.

It's annoying having to balance things, isn't it? I mean primitive tribes these days can even make tranquiliser darts that work almost instantaneously first time. Tiny darts that do essentially zero damage to the target. And this is far far into the future, it should be trivial to harvest chemicals from some critters or plants and make an equivalent and use it with the hunting rifle or something.

akiceabear

Weapons are easier to balance - given the enemy spawns with them too! Learned this the hard (but fun) way playing Combat Realism this weekend!

FridayBiology

Animal sickness event - animals gain "sick" health tag, meaning that if you then kill and butch that animal the meat produced will be set to rotten.
Over time (few days maybe) the animals would get better, removing the health tag.

this would be to teach player to pick their hunted prey.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

astrosoup

Just picked this game up with a few days off, and the wife and I are totally obsessed. Played from 8PM-6AM, slept for four hrs and we're back at it.

Haven't read through this whole thing, but I want to suggest what I think are my cheapest ideas.

The thing I want the most is to be able to feel a sense of continuity once most or all of my original colonists die and have been replaced by pirates and drifters.

For starters I wish I could click on a grave and read that person's bio. This helps me remember who is who, and to remember the ambitions of the town founders so I could carry their legacies on in the design and direction of the town, even if they die off.

Being able to see a brief history off everything that has happened in a town journal. The AI story teller is super cool and makes all sorts of interesting things happen. I often wish I could recap and look back through the numerous tragedies and hardships that my poor citizens have endured. Notable events like someone dying/arriving, heat waves that made something difficult, etc.,- even just what is being already announced in the console, could be saved to a summary screen to highlight the most dramatic parts. (Maybe this is already there, and I haven't found it?)

Finally, maybe the ability to name buildings? I can already accomplish this with a zone, but it would be fun if I got to see the building name appear once in a while when a character is doing something relevant to it, to remind me that the stonecutter's workshop was originally built as a palace for one of my early characters, or that the prison was originally a barracks.

I feel like little things such as this would really round out the storytelling aspect, as they inject a sense of history that I want to see develop as time goes on, so that even if all the original characters die off, I feel like they are still part of an ongoing story. Likewise, notable people who pass through can all leave their mark in a way that offers me reminders of who they are and what their impact on the colony was, which would be really fun.

What a great, dramatic game. So excited to see what is going to be added, but we are already having so much fun with this. Thanks!