I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I just figured out how to kill the infestation bugs without a real fight. Just dig a long tunnel and shoot them from a distance with the survival rifle. Easy. I'm pretty sure some of you figured this out before me too!

So let me just request that if you find an exploit strategy, please report it. These kinds of things are basically bugs, and they break the game (even if people sort of "like" them, they harm the overall experience). So please report them!

I'd love to hear about any exploits you know of in this thread. Are there other no-risk ways to defeat infestations or sieges? The ones I know of are:

- Shoot infestation bugs from long range
- Open the roof and let infestation bugs freeze
- Shoot siegers with sniper rifles (until they attack)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

RickyMartini

Quote from: Tynan on March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM
Just dig a long tunnel and shoot them from a distance with the survival rifle.

How is this an exploit? You need to first dig a long tunnel and expose yourself to sappers, plus the last chunk to dig is possibly dangerous for your colonist. What about freezing and burning the bugs to death? Doesn't seem like an exploit to me.

I mean, Tynan, I even managed to make a bug jelly factory that works forever and keeps producing jelly, wanna see it?

skullywag

he probably does...

The unroofing has always felt...wrong...to me, could we allow the unroof tool to only work a certain distance from colonist structures or something?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Tynan

Depending on how your base is laid out, you could be shooting the bugs at long distance with almost no effort. A long hallway (common in deep mines) is enough to do it. It's also absurd the bugs would never just attack. It's clearly an exploit.

Burning and freezing them aren't exploits per se; I call those cool strategies. Vanishing their roof with the no-roof tool is an exploit, though.

Yes there are judgment calls to make in what is and isn't an exploit. But I want you guys to tell me if anything seems like it might approach the line so I can think about how to handle it or if anything needs changing.

Yes, I thought of the bug jelly factory. In fact it's sort of "designed to be possible". Though I worry about it being too easy. I'd love to see yours. How do you deal with the constantly-spawning bugs, though?

Quote from: skullywag on March 21, 2016, 05:27:01 PM
he probably does...

The unroofing has always felt...wrong...to me, could we allow the unroof tool to only work a certain distance from colonist structures or something?

Wouldn't solve it; I can set it up so that colonist have to go and manually remove the roof, though.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

skullywag

that would also stop another issue at the same time, the one where you forget to unroof before removing a building and kill everyone. Wouldnt that also mean building roofs as well?

RickyMartini

Here's my factory:

http://puu.sh/nP1LP/cddecca5fc.png

Bugs die on the traps and the colonists clean and rearm the traps consistently. Jelly factory voila!

keylocke

Quote- Shoot siegers with sniper rifles (until they attack)

i'm not sure this is an exploit?
Here's my factory:

http://puu.sh/nP1LP/cddecca5fc.png

Bugs die on the traps and the colonists clean and rearm the traps consistently. Jelly factory voila!

nice.

thedee05

Bugs don't attack doors so it is easy to pop out shoot at the bugs and pop back in when they come at you. The retreating bug has it's back turned when it heads back so you pop out again and get a enfilade shot on it. Makes it really easy to deal with them even in close quarters.

skullywag

Quote from: thedee05 on March 21, 2016, 05:50:04 PM
Bugs don't attack doors so it is easy to pop out shoot at the bugs and pop back in when they come at you. The retreating bug has it's back turned when it heads back so you pop out again and get a enfilade shot on it. Makes it really easy to deal with them even in close quarters.

hmm would them attacking doors be a bad thing?

(also Tynan offtopic but go see his video in the video subforum, its ace)

RickyMartini

The problem is, yes I think bugs shouldn't attack doors. It's the same discussion we had about the manhunting animals.
The obvious "exploit" is that you can shoot out of the open door and then hide again. But this isn't new and we were able to do that with manhunting animals since summer 2015.

keylocke

well, when it comes to shoot-out-of-enemy-range strategies against bugs,siegers,sappers :

maybe as soon as they get attacked, they get hostile. and if they are in a group, the entire group goes hostile and attacks up to a certain range before heading back. except for the "builders" in a siege or sappers, they won't join group attacks and would only attack when they are directly attacked.

--------------

as for the peek-and-shoot strategies against manhunter and bugs :

when you attack them, they go crazy and gains the ability to attack doors and walls. they will primarily target the person who attacked and anything that blocks their way. but they will lose this ability once that person is dead.

RickyMartini

Quote from: keylocke on March 21, 2016, 06:10:28 PM
when you attack them, they go crazy and gains the ability to attack doors and walls. they will primarily target the source of the person who attacked and anything that blocks their way. but they will lose this ability once that person is dead.

I think that is a very bad idea. That pretty much guarantees 1 dead colonist. This would make the infestation event deadlier than some raids.

RemingtonRyder

Although it's unlikely to come up, if you were to sell warm-weather animals to traders during the cold season, and then those traders stick around long enough, the animals die of hypothermia and then you can use the animal corpses. Profit! I mean, exploit!

keylocke

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 21, 2016, 06:44:48 PM
Although it's unlikely to come up, if you were to sell warm-weather animals to traders during the cold season, and then those traders stick around long enough, the animals die of hypothermia and then you can use the animal corpses. Profit! I mean, exploit!

you can also trap traders by building walls around them. starving them to death or until they go crazy and start killing each other.

Quote from: Skissor on March 21, 2016, 06:24:13 PM
I think that is a very bad idea. That pretty much guarantees 1 dead colonist. This would make the infestation event deadlier than some raids.

ah, maybe not "dead". just incapacitated.

it's like if you don't attack them, then they don't know you're there behind the door, but when you attack, then they will try to break down doors to get you.

----------

another "exploit"-like strategy (kinda an old one) against melee attackers is to see which people they are currently targeting and using these targets as bait to run around your gunners as your gunners shoot them down.

RickyMartini

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 21, 2016, 06:44:48 PM

Well, considering you'd have to be able to be skilled enough to hold those warm-weather animals (in ice sheet biome I guess?), I think that exploit is forgivable. :P