I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b0rsuk

Quote from: GarettZriwin on June 06, 2016, 02:09:40 PM
Posession spell & zerking tribals with legendary plasteel longsword while wearing power armor. :P
The other sci-fi colony survival sim game, Maia by Simon Roth, has Possession - for IMPs, your robots only. I don't think it has slap. I backed it too, I can check out a newer version.

muffins

Easy way to kill thrumbos. If there are lots of bottle necks on the map build walls and traps at those points so that passing creatures have to walk over the traps to get from one part of the map to another. The traps won't kill a thrumbo, but it usually dies of infection after a few days. You get all the meat, fur and horn from a thrumbo with all the effort of trapping a squirrel.

Haven't tried that on this version of the game yet though.

The-MathMog

Quote from: muffins on June 07, 2016, 10:07:53 AM
Easy way to kill thrumbos.

In addition to this one, the easiest way I've found to kill thrumbo's, is by simply making a zone next to them with beer. They will drink until they blackout, and if it doesn't kill them the first round, they will drink another beer immediately as they wake up, killing them and dropping their horn.

25-30 beers for 4 dead thrumbos seems a bit easy to me, but I am not sure if it's considered an exploit? Also I saw it mentioned another place, but didn't find it in this post.

Elixiar

I'm not sure if this has been said or not but one way I find to deal with massive raids is to intentionally let a member of the colony become downed.

A raid will usually give up and leave with whoever they can steal but won't continue attacking. I can simply order my people to open fire, save the prisoner and have taken very little casualties.

They shouldn't try and give up during raids. They should attempt to capture people as the fight continues making it all the more vital that 'no man is left behind'.

This works with prisoners too if you leave them incapacitated outside a colony.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

Tynan

Quote from: Elixiar on June 07, 2016, 07:50:58 PM
I'm not sure if this has been said or not but one way I find to deal with massive raids is to intentionally let a member of the colony become downed.

A raid will usually give up and leave with whoever they can steal but won't continue attacking. I can simply order my people to open fire, save the prisoner and have taken very little casualties.

They shouldn't try and give up during raids. They should attempt to capture people as the fight continues making it all the more vital that 'no man is left behind'.

This works with prisoners too if you leave them incapacitated outside a colony.

I'm happy to say this has been solved :)
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

milon

Quote from: The-MathMog on June 07, 2016, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: muffins on June 07, 2016, 10:07:53 AM
Easy way to kill thrumbos.

In addition to this one, the easiest way I've found to kill thrumbo's, is by simply making a zone next to them with beer. They will drink until they blackout, and if it doesn't kill them the first round, they will drink another beer immediately as they wake up, killing them and dropping their horn.

25-30 beers for 4 dead thrumbos seems a bit easy to me, but I am not sure if it's considered an exploit? Also I saw it mentioned another place, but didn't find it in this post.

Easiest way to kill thrumbos (has this been said yet?):
1. Wait for night & for silly thrumbo to fall asleep
2. Box sleeping thrumbo in with 4 walls (this doesn't awaken the sleeping giant, or anything else - likely including a raid party!)
3. Wait for thrumbo to starve
4. Harvest the horn, meat, and leather
5. Profit.

b0rsuk

When constructing explosive traps, a common trick used by players is to have one IED trap with a trigger, and a bunch of shells scattered around as the payload or breadcrumbs of death. No problem so far.

However, shells left in the open deteriorate and eventually explode. Some people construct 1x1 roofs over them, but there's a simpler way. Order construction of a number of IED traps, let them haul shells to contruction zones, and... forbid the constructions. The shells are now oficially construction materials on a construction zone, and construction materials are unaffected by elements in Rimworld. When a raid arrives, cancel the constructions.

You can make sure they haul shells but not components by temporarily forbidding all shells on the map.

muffins

If it's -30 outside and you want to slaughter some chickens for food, you can sell them to a trader and wait for them to freeze to death instead.

Mossy piglet

When a machine breaks down, you can just deconstruct it. This gives you all the componets and you can just build it again, without using any extra componets.
Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

chchgreen

i think this is an exploit, it feels like one.
if i make growing zones outside my base, plant pine trees, once they are planted, delete growing zone, leaving the trees there, now raiders will just run around your forest burning trees and get all split up, allowing you to just pick them off. i means its good the raiders will try decimate your food supply, but feels like it can be exploited.

Mossy piglet

Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

Vaporisor

Quote from: Mossy piglet on June 12, 2016, 04:41:48 PM
When a machine breaks down, you can just deconstruct it. This gives you all the componets and you can just build it again, without using any extra componets.

Not true.  There is an 80% return on deconstruction.  You get components back on a deconstruct, but always minimum of one less than it took to build.
Stories by Vaporisor

Escaped convicts!
concluded
Altair XIII
Frozen Wastes

b0rsuk

Quote from: Vaporisor on June 13, 2016, 12:08:02 AM
Not true.  There is an 80% return on deconstruction.  You get components back on a deconstruct, but always minimum of one less than it took to build.
For low component costs, you get 100% of components back. This seems to include all constructions up to and including 2 components. In other words, you can deconstruct-repair:

power switches, fueled generators, batteries, wind turbines, orbital trade beacons, firefoam poppers, crematorium, hydroponics basin (plants will die), electric stove, IED traps, heaters, ship structural beams (LOL).

If you deconstruct a hydroponics basin (100 steel) you get 75 steel back. But if you deconstruct a battery, you get 38 steel back. So I think the return is 75%, then rounded. 5 seems rounded upwards, because 0.75 * 50 = 37.5

Additionally, you can repair damaged conduits faster by deconstructing and constructing them. You get 1 steel back on deconstructing a conduit, presubably because 0.75 * 1 = 0.75, and that's rounded up to 1.

b0rsuk

Oh, and you can deconstruct campfires, getting some wood back. This is just silly. And there's no toggle to stop refuelling the campfire.