I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin

Quote from: giannikampa on September 05, 2016, 03:33:46 AM
Don't know if it is an exploit, but when i need to shoot my incendiarylauncers and i can't find a target i just place an animal's sleeping spot near my objective and so I can manually fire at it.
Yeah I would call that an exploit, similar to putting down 1-square-sized stockpile zones on all the materials far away from base, and selling them from there.

I always found it strange you could drop sleeping spots without needing a colonist to actually do it themselves. Maybe Tynan needs to change that.

giannikampa

well a spot is just a place you assign to..something
the solution to this would be to not make them targetable by weapons
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

Franklin

Yeah, absolutely. Or better yet, allow weapons to be targeted at anything, not just enemy targets. Why not allow for looser targeting, the game's not exactly easy as is.

FSUYevon

Does placing 20+ doors lined on the inside of a large killbox defense so raiders bash on them while I shoot them in the back count as an exploit?

alxddd

I saw on a recent post that if you create a one room freezer with a vent venting into your actual freezer room, it will make the freezer way colder than it would with just the cooler alone. sounds like an exploit worth exploring.

ericbomb

Not sure if this works for everything, but with the drills if you place a power conduit not attached to anything near it if you want to turn it off you can click "reconnect to grid" and it'll flip to the grid with no power, so you can turn things on/off without having someone go to it.

Britnoth

Quote from: FSUYevon on September 05, 2016, 11:43:30 AM
Does placing 20+ doors lined on the inside of a large killbox defense so raiders bash on them while I shoot them in the back count as an exploit?

No. Someone intentionally coded raiders to randomly bash on doors. That is a pretty big hint that this is intended behaviour, if not the intended consequence of that behaviour that they do it so often it makes them totally ineffective.

This OP title really needs to be renamed to something less... accusatory imo.

Shurp

The OP title is by the game developer looking for exploits to squash.  The cooler thing definitely needs to be fixed.  If AI behavior is abusively stupid it should be fixed too.

Report it here if you want to see it removed in the next update :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Britnoth

Quote from: Shurp on September 06, 2016, 07:09:07 AM
The OP title is by the game developer looking for exploits to squash.

And in the same post says that using a long range weapon to out range a shorter range weapon is considered an exploit.

Which is why some clarification would be nice.

Is this thread for exploitable bugs, or just suggestions to make the game harder?  :o

Shurp

The issue with sieges isn't that you can outrange them.  It's that the siegers wouldn't move into range to shoot back.  They'd just mill about and let you cut them down.  I think that has been fixed.  At least when I usually shoot at them some stop what they're doing and shoot back... not enough to make a difference though.  But at least it's not *no risk* which is what the OP was discussing.

The goal is to fix things which are obviously broken.  The one square room cooler/vent trick obviously shouldn't work that way.  If you can easily wipe out an attacking pirate mob by stacking doors, then the AI needs tweaking to  prevent that sort of thing.

On the other hand, cutting down tribals with miniguns is exactly what *should* work.  No need to nerf that :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Franklin

Quote from: ericbomb on September 05, 2016, 11:56:29 PM
Not sure if this works for everything, but with the drills if you place a power conduit not attached to anything near it if you want to turn it off you can click "reconnect to grid" and it'll flip to the grid with no power, so you can turn things on/off without having someone go to it.
This is a good one, I'd even argue this is just dumb simple coding, as 'grid' in this case means connect to any surrounding line, regardless as to whether it's connected to an actually powered network.

Maybe power lines need to carry a "live: 0/1" value, and orphaned lines aren't considered "part of the grid" for the context of this button.

Britnoth

Quote from: Franklin on September 07, 2016, 10:24:53 AM
Quote from: ericbomb on September 05, 2016, 11:56:29 PM
This is a good one, I'd even argue this is just dumb simple coding, as 'grid' in this case means connect to any surrounding line, regardless as to whether it's connected to an actually powered network.

Maybe power lines need to carry a "live: 0/1" value, and orphaned lines aren't considered "part of the grid" for the context of this button.

Similar to what I would do to fix this. If i was interested in fixing this.

The game is full of situations where you are 'supposed' to use a pawn to flick a switch. This is what the flicking work is for.

At the same time, you have work types that would be considered 'flicking' such as rearming an existing trap, set as hauling work not flicking. You are not building anything, or moving anything, just pulling a lever or whatever. Yet someone that refuses to haul like a pack animal wont do this either...

And then, you have the instances where it would make sense to need someone to flick something.. not needing flicking at all:

Setting heaters and coolers.

Turrets being told to hold fire.

Cancelling construction. (highly abusable if used correctly)

Aatxe360

Quote from: Shurp on September 06, 2016, 11:01:20 PMThe one square room cooler/vent trick obviously shouldn't work that way.

It doesn't.  The poster even said his information is second/third-hand knowledge.

It does work in the way that the temperature rises slower in the freezer because open doors are less effective at venting air than vents.  Helps keep food edible longer in heat waves and solar flares.  There are threads here and reddit where Tynan responded to questions about temperature control so I'm pretty sure he's aware of this workaround.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 10:46:00 PM

Highly abused if micromanaged correctly.  There's your trade-off.  Of course, if Tynan were to fix it, he'd probably just make canceling a construction lose materials put into it.

Britnoth

Quote from: Aatxe360 on September 07, 2016, 11:00:16 PM
Quote from: Shurp on September 06, 2016, 11:01:20 PMThe one square room cooler/vent trick obviously shouldn't work that way.

It doesn't.  The poster even said his information is second/third-hand knowledge.

It does work in the way that the temperature rises slower in the freezer because open doors are less effective at venting air than vents.  Helps keep food edible longer in heat waves and solar flares.  There are threads here and reddit where Tynan responded to questions about temperature control so I'm pretty sure he's aware of this workaround.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 10:46:00 PM

Highly abused if micromanaged correctly.  There's your trade-off.

Sorry but this post is entirely false in all respects.

The 1 tile plus vent exploit works well. I just tested it myself.

I can keep a 20x40 room below freezing with 1 cooler. At 20 C outside. The way vents are working breaks the laws of thermodynamics.

You can mass select construction and mass cancel. No micromanagement involved.

You can mass select and mass reconnect multiple turrets. No micromanagement involved.

Aatxe360

Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 11:13:32 PM

Sorry but this post is entirely false in all respects.

The 1 tile plus vent exploit works well. I just tested it myself.

I can keep a 20x40 room below freezing with 1 cooler. At 20 C outside. The way vents are working breaks the laws of thermodynamics.

And a lot of laws are 'broken' in-game.  Artillery shells disappear when hitting a mountain.  Colonists can still eat on their own with no jaws or dentures.  Colonists cannot reproduce, yet have familial relationships.  Vents don't have an option to be opened or closed.  Bones disappear when butchering.  Seems a case of game design.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 11:13:32 PM
You can mass select construction and mass cancel. No micromanagement involved.

You can mass select and mass reconnect multiple turrets. No micromanagement involved.

That's your 'abuse?'  That's game design.  I thought you were talking about something completely different.  Ever hear of the lost art of architecture?

If you want to continue down this route, why not mention the God's Eye view you have of the entire map and the real time locations of animals, raiders, and colonists?