I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

How to counter siege when you are way too inferior to your opponent:

Step 1: Wait for the opponents to stop bombing and fall asleep
Step 2: Steal their mortars
Step 3: They will begin the assault, defend.

Yes, this actually works. You can uninstall and take away their mortars while they all sleep.

Shurp

Lol!!! And I thought killing them in their sleep was cheesy :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

SpaceDorf

And still both are actual Tactics used in Real Life Warfare :)

Sabotage and Assassination.

I mean you could build IEDs while they are sleeping or install traps throughout the camp ..

The problem with both "exploits" is you have to eat the damage they deal until they go to sleep.

My favourite tactic is still sniping the guy who builds the mortars .. without mortars they are no threat to me, when they attack I retreat and eat them with my defenses.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

thisismyusername

Quote from: Wishmaster on September 08, 2016, 01:19:49 PM
How to counter siege when you are way too inferior to your opponent:

Step 1: Wait for the opponents to stop bombing and fall asleep
Step 2: Steal their mortars
Step 3: They will begin the assault, defend.

Yes, this actually works. You can uninstall and take away their mortars while they all sleep.

I can't wait to do this myself, this sounds so satisfying.

Britnoth

Quote from: Aatxe360 on September 07, 2016, 11:23:16 PM
Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 11:13:32 PM

Sorry but this post is entirely false in all respects.

The 1 tile plus vent exploit works well. I just tested it myself.

I can keep a 20x40 room below freezing with 1 cooler. At 20 C outside. The way vents are working breaks the laws of thermodynamics.

And a lot of laws are 'broken' in-game.  Artillery shells disappear when hitting a mountain.  Colonists can still eat on their own with no jaws or dentures.  Colonists cannot reproduce, yet have familial relationships.  Vents don't have an option to be opened or closed.  Bones disappear when butchering.  Seems a case of game design.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 07, 2016, 11:13:32 PM
You can mass select construction and mass cancel. No micromanagement involved.

You can mass select and mass reconnect multiple turrets. No micromanagement involved.

That's your 'abuse?'  That's game design.  I thought you were talking about something completely different.  Ever hear of the lost art of architecture?

If you want to continue down this route, why not mention the God's Eye view you have of the entire map and the real time locations of animals, raiders, and colonists?

Artillery shells hitting a mountain are hitting an overhead mountain. They dont just magically vanish. You can eat without a denture, if your food is mash. Colonists dont reproduce because they dont want to. Vents not having a close option is hardly breaking the laws of physics.

The cooler and vent exploit is an EXPLOIT because it is using a game bug (vents not working correctly) in a way that makes it so the intended behaviour (the coolers having a limit to how much they can cool) is effectively ursurpsed. It is not intended to cool an entire mountain base with 1 cooler.

The mass cancel of construction is a potential exploit, because it is effectively deconstructing a wall without any pawn actually being near it or doing any work. Select an area of unfinished wall. Hit cancel. Wall that was previously blocking shots magically vanishes without anyone there to do it. If this was intended, then deconstructing wouldnt actually BE a pawn work type.

keylocke

QuoteColonists dont reproduce because they dont want to.

nope. that is not a fact. it's just your personal opinion. another hypothesis why the colonists don't reproduce in rimworld is that the devs have simply decided not to put in human reproduction as part of their game design.

why? probably coz of several reasons like different laws in different countries that could affect sales, or whatever.

meanwhile the timeframe for growth has been tackled several times. ie : others want accelerated growth similar to animals, while others (like me) prefer to have ultra-fastforward gameplay speeds so that 15 rimworld years would roughly be around 3 hours real time. (i usually play in 3x fastforward speed.. and it feels too slow, especially in the late game when i've already built everythang and was just waiting for new stuffs to happen.. this is usually when i start going on "meh" mode.)

besides, there are also colony sim games that have kids and there's no problem (DF, banished, Black&White, etc.) so from a technical perspective, i believe that the main reason why there's no human reproduction in rimworld is mostly due to a decision by the game dev not to include it.

Britnoth

Quote from: keylocke on September 09, 2016, 04:53:53 AM
nope. that is not a fact. it's just your personal opinion.

The original comment was 'cannot' reproduce. I was addressing that. We know they can reproduce in game, they just don't.

No laws fundamental laws of nature, or in game laws need to be broken. Which need to when dealing with the exploits I previously mentioned.

Vents are supposed to 'equalise' temperature. Nowhere in the description does it day 'create or remove heat'.

Boba Phat

Quote from: keylocke on September 09, 2016, 04:53:53 AM
i believe that the main reason why there's no human reproduction in rimworld is mostly due to a decision by the game dev not to include it.

I can't wait to build rape dungeons where I can send all my captured female colonists so I can harvest the babies for making kibble...

Shurp

Quote from: Boba Phat on September 10, 2016, 06:19:36 AM
I can't wait to build rape dungeons where I can send all my captured female colonists so I can harvest the babies for making kibble...

And this is why the Rimworld developers probably should refrain from activating human reproduction.  We don't need the bad press that would result.  "Rimworld is a game about eating babies!  Ban Rimworld!"
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Aatxe360

Quote from: Britnoth on September 08, 2016, 11:01:12 PM
Artillery shells hitting a mountain are hitting an overhead mountain. They dont just magically vanish. You can eat without a denture, if your food is mash. Colonists dont reproduce because they dont want to. Vents not having a close option is hardly breaking the laws of physics.

No rubble comes falling down after hitting an overhead mountain.  They vanish.

All colonists can eat frozen food of all types quickly(or not so quickly with no jaw) without heating it up.  Colonists don't reproduce or need to use the bathroom because that's *gasp* game design.  It's all game design currently and you're full of it.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 08, 2016, 11:01:12 PMThe cooler and vent exploit is an EXPLOIT because it is using a game bug (vents not working correctly) in a way that makes it so the intended behaviour (the coolers having a limit to how much they can cool) is effectively ursurpsed. It is not intended to cool an entire mountain base with 1 cooler.

It doesn't cool an entire mountain base.  That would be absurd and an exploit.  The coolers have a limit and... *tests it out*  Ok.  A cooler with a target of 0F/-18C can keep 531 squares(roughly a 23x23 area) well below freezing(roughly 23F/-5C) when it's behind three vents.  I'm not sure exactly what to think about that.  Maybe an increase in power consumption or have the vents consume a small amount of power?

I did test it in winter on parts of my base behind an airlock to the outside, so no feasible way atm to test a heat wave and see how much that would affect this issue.

You're hypothesis when you first posted just screamed bloody murder that a cooler could still work in a heat wave.  AC in the 5500s should be able to handle heat waves fine even if something cobbled together by stranded survivors won't be all that impressive.  Collect your thoughts before you post next time.

Quote from: Britnoth on September 08, 2016, 11:01:12 PMThe mass cancel of construction is a potential exploit, because it is effectively deconstructing a wall without any pawn actually being near it or doing any work. Select an area of unfinished wall. Hit cancel. Wall that was previously blocking shots magically vanishes without anyone there to do it. If this was intended, then deconstructing wouldnt actually BE a pawn work type.

Now you're being specific again.  That's good.  I still don't consider this an exploit myself, just game design.  The colonists still have to haul materials there and away.  Also, that square isn't actually finished being constructed yet.  I see it as a visual cue that if you need plan something else there, you can!  You cannot put plans over plans.  Only one set of plans per square.

Zeneth

I'm sure this maybe has been said before, but I can't be bothered to scroll through all 19 pages of this thread, so, I don't really know if this is an exploit, but if you make a room that is 2x1 with a door and a bed inside, colonists will use it as a bedroom and have no mood debuffs from it, thus making actual bedrooms not really useful.

zandadoum

@aatxe
Sorry, you're just wrong.

1) an artillery shell hits your mountain, which probably is 2000m tall (otherwise it would be a HILL) and you're telling me you, in your cave at the mountain bottom should have rubble falling down?
Why do you thing USA most secure militar facilities are build into mountains? They're ANTI NUCLEAR and you're saying a simple artillery shell from some raiders would make rubble fall down? lol

2) you might want to check this link and the posted screenshot. Specifically the top 2nd example

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=25368.msg259148#msg259148

A/C + vents are broken. End of story. There is nothing to discuss about it, it's a proven fact. Maybe they work well when used separately, but when used like in that example, you can clearly see how it is a exploit to trick the system into have one single cooler work at a much higher efficiency than it really should.
Is the cooler to blame? Or the vent? Or the combination of both? I don't know, I don't care. Fact remains: it's an exploit that can be abused to cool much larger surfaces for much less (barely any) power than it really should.

Forgive spelling. On the phone, CBA to spell check.

Britnoth

Quote from: Aatxe360 on September 10, 2016, 05:16:54 PM
It doesn't cool an entire mountain base.  That would be absurd and an exploit.  The coolers have a limit and... *tests it out*  Ok.  A cooler with a target of 0F/-18C can keep 531 squares(roughly a 23x23 area) well below freezing(roughly 23F/-5C) when it's behind three vents.  I'm not sure exactly what to think about that.  Maybe an increase in power consumption or have the vents consume a small amount of power?

Collect your thoughts before you post next time.

I just did my own test. Cooled an outside room 40x40 (minus pillars) with 1 cooler and 3 vents. outside temp 17 C. Inside it is -15 C.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

genet13

I keep flocks of chickens just inside the chokepoints to enter my base. Raiders (and mad animals) spend all their time killing chickens while turrets and colonists pick them off. Worst kill ratio I have had so far is 2 chickens:1 raider:0 colonists/turrets.

SimpleMachine88

Quote from: Zeneth on September 10, 2016, 07:07:56 PM
I'm sure this maybe has been said before, but I can't be bothered to scroll through all 19 pages of this thread, so, I don't really know if this is an exploit, but if you make a room that is 2x1 with a door and a bed inside, colonists will use it as a bedroom and have no mood debuffs from it, thus making actual bedrooms not really useful.

It has, but it needs to be said more.  This is one of the most ridiculous exploits in the game, along with the vent trick, and wiring to use reconnect as a power switch.  Tynan, if you're reading this, I'd list that as answers 1, 2, and 3.