I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

That sounds more like WAD than an exploit.  You can remove the door beforehand and seal him up in a room with a food stockpile to the same effect.  No risk of a prison break that way either :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Shurp

Hmmm, on a related note, I found an "exploit" to deal with traders who overstay their welcome.  If you try to box them into a room they will all panic and try to escape.  So start building a wall that traps them, wait for the panic message, then deconstruct.  They take off and your devilstrand crop remains unmolested by hungry muffalo.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

O Negative

Don't know if this has already been mentioned, but...

As of the current build, kiting enemies which are "guarding" a certain spot until they "give up" chasing you is a great way to cheese infestations and sieges. When they get tired of chasing you and start to head back to the spot they were guarding, you just turn around and get a bunch of free shots out.

I've taken out entire infestations in a single day, with one pawn and his pistol, using this technique. Siege camps are a bit harder to do this to, given that they typically have snipers :P

Britnoth

Quote from: Shurp on September 18, 2016, 11:50:48 PM
That sounds more like WAD than an exploit.  You can remove the door beforehand and seal him up in a room with a food stockpile to the same effect.  No risk of a prison break that way either :)

I have seen Tynan say that placing a wall in front of a berserk prisoners door to stop them beating their way out is an 'exploit'.

So I guess whenever one goes berserk, I will just have someone repairing the door every other hour for 8+ hours.

More micro for no gameplay change, thanks Tynan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shurp

Weird... Seems to me that building a barricade to block in rioting prisoners is a sensible strategy.  The only thing "exploity" is that the prisoners give up. They should be willing to dig at the walls (as traders now do)

EvilMoogle

Quote from: Britnoth on September 19, 2016, 09:49:02 AM
More micro for no gameplay change, thanks Tynan. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The difference is you have to dedicate a pawn to repairing the door.

Franklin

Quote from: Shurp on September 19, 2016, 10:22:22 AM
Weird... Seems to me that building a barricade to block in rioting prisoners is a sensible strategy.  The only thing "exploity" is that the prisoners give up. They should be willing to dig at the walls (as traders now do)
Yeah, it seems like the kind of exploit that's just an exploit because it looks exploity. Like, if we could lock doors then nobody would argue locking someone in their room is a viable way of dealing with a violent outburst. We need lockable doors, perhaps.

Scalare

Are killboxes exploits? Because realistic Enemy AI will eventually figure them out and stop being lemmings? Or cassandra will throw in a raid that can overcome them (especially with fleeing enemies that can relay strategies)?

Shurp

Is this an exploit?

I have only my starting three colonists with their starting rifle and pistol.  A ship part crashed.  So I picked up my turrets and parked them next to the ship part with a moved battery to power them. 

They're doing a fine job of killing the scyther and heavy charge blaster equipped centipede.  My two armed colonists are gaining firearm experience.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Morze

Seems like a valid tactic to me.

Speaking of ships parts, one thing I found out and think is a little exploitive is that you can enclose them with a wall and leave one spot clear, shoot the part and force all the mechanoids to spawn around that spot. Leave some artillery shells there and have a grenadier in position and at least scythers will die in seconds.

Solution: prevent building new constructions right next to the ship, in similar fashion to map edges.

Britnoth

Quote from: Franklin on September 19, 2016, 11:52:33 AM
Quote from: Shurp on September 19, 2016, 10:22:22 AM
Yeah, it seems like the kind of exploit that's just an exploit because it looks exploity. Like, if we could lock doors then nobody would argue locking someone in their room is a viable way of dealing with a violent outburst. We need lockable doors, perhaps.

No one would argue a violent and equiped raider should not be able to break though a wall or door with enough effort expended.

it is not reasonable to say a prisoner in shackles should either be able to fight with the same effectiveness as an unarmed, unshackled colonist, or have the ability while shackled and without any kind tool to beat down a solid steel/plasteel door.

Zhentar

And another mechanoid exploit is to use downed centipedes as target practice. A passionate shooter can easily rack up 30k shooting xp in a day of shooting at a centipede with a pistol.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Zhentar on September 23, 2016, 11:30:06 AMAnd another mechanoid exploit is to use downed centipedes as target practice. A passionate shooter can easily rack up 30k shooting xp in a day of shooting at a centipede with a pistol.

Is that really an exploit, tho'? It seems like a system working as intended, enabled by a lack of lower-risk options for training skill.

I guess it might be worthwhile to place a cap on how much XP can be gained from a single target, or within a single time-frame (more realistic, I think), but it might also be worthwhile to have options for training lower skilled shooters that don't constantly risk manhunting packs of rabid weasels or something.

Zhentar

Consider that after the first 4,000 XP earned in a stat, XP gain is reduced by 80%; we can assume that's the limit of what Tynan wants us to earn in a day. It's a safe bet that something that allows a zero passion, zero skill pawn to hit that threshold in a couple of game hours with no risk and no resource consumption is an exploit.

Shooting inanimate objects gives you 6xp per shot (incidentally defined in a constant that calls it "practice"). Neutral animals, which carry the risks you mention, gives 50xp per shot. Actual combat gives 240xp per shot. Shooting at incapacitated combat targets still gives the same 240xp, even though the risk level is on par with the inanimate object.

Of course, the other reason that this exploit works is that target that are "lying down" are ridiculously hard to shoot. It's lying down now, so your accuracy is reduced by 80%!? I guess that it's supposed to represent the reduced cross sectional area of a human, but it kind of ignores the fact that it's much easier to hit a target that's not moving. (And it gets really weird if you put sand bags in front of the centipede, because suddenly your shooters can hit a little pile of sand bags far more reliably than they can hit the giant robot sitting behind them)

Tynan

Quote from: Zhentar on September 23, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Consider that after the first 4,000 XP earned in a stat, XP gain is reduced by 80%; we can assume that's the limit of what Tynan wants us to earn in a day. It's a safe bet that something that allows a zero passion, zero skill pawn to hit that threshold in a couple of game hours with no risk and no resource consumption is an exploit.

Shooting inanimate objects gives you 6xp per shot (incidentally defined in a constant that calls it "practice"). Neutral animals, which carry the risks you mention, gives 50xp per shot. Actual combat gives 240xp per shot. Shooting at incapacitated combat targets still gives the same 240xp, even though the risk level is on par with the inanimate object.

Of course, the other reason that this exploit works is that target that are "lying down" are ridiculously hard to shoot. It's lying down now, so your accuracy is reduced by 80%!? I guess that it's supposed to represent the reduced cross sectional area of a human, but it kind of ignores the fact that it's much easier to hit a target that's not moving. (And it gets really weird if you put sand bags in front of the centipede, because suddenly your shooters can hit a little pile of sand bags far more reliably than they can hit the giant robot sitting behind them)

Yeah, it's an exploit, will fix.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog