I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DariusWolfe

Quote from: Zhentar on September 23, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Consider that after the first 4,000 XP earned in a stat, XP gain is reduced by 80%; we can assume that's the limit of what Tynan wants us to earn in a day. It's a safe bet that something that allows a zero passion, zero skill pawn to hit that threshold in a couple of game hours with no risk and no resource consumption is an exploit.

Shooting inanimate objects gives you 6xp per shot (incidentally defined in a constant that calls it "practice"). Neutral animals, which carry the risks you mention, gives 50xp per shot. Actual combat gives 240xp per shot. Shooting at incapacitated combat targets still gives the same 240xp, even though the risk level is on par with the inanimate object.

Of course, the other reason that this exploit works is that target that are "lying down" are ridiculously hard to shoot. It's lying down now, so your accuracy is reduced by 80%!? I guess that it's supposed to represent the reduced cross sectional area of a human, but it kind of ignores the fact that it's much easier to hit a target that's not moving. (And it gets really weird if you put sand bags in front of the centipede, because suddenly your shooters can hit a little pile of sand bags far more reliably than they can hit the giant robot sitting behind them)

Thanks for this. I wasn't aware of most of these systems (how do you shoot an inanimate object anyway??) and with your explanation, it's considerably easier to understand that this isn't WAD.

SpaceDorf

Target it by hand.
Click the weapon icon on the pawn you can shoot everything, even your own pawns.
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

DariusWolfe

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 23, 2016, 08:20:11 PMTarget it by hand.
Click the weapon icon on the pawn you can shoot everything, even your own pawns.

::wanders off to feel stupid somewhere else::

MikeLemmer

Quote from: Shurp on September 22, 2016, 06:45:06 PM
Is this an exploit?

I have only my starting three colonists with their starting rifle and pistol.  A ship part crashed.  So I picked up my turrets and parked them next to the ship part with a moved battery to power them. 

They're doing a fine job of killing the scyther and heavy charge blaster equipped centipede.  My two armed colonists are gaining firearm experience.

What, exactly, is being exploited here? Enemies' tendency to shoot turrets before colonists? I would guess that's working as intended, especially if the turrets are doing more damage than the colonists.

Of course, the question is how often the centipedes are hitting completely unprotected turrets.

Travinsky

I don't know if this has been pointed out, I don't fancy digging through 22 pages of posts to find out, but I found if you order you pawn to go through a door but as it opens you Undraft then redraft the colonist the door will open fully allowing your colonist to shoot through it however, raiders will not attempt to shoot back through the door nor will the attempt to melee attack your colonists. This means your colonists can safely shoot through an open door  at raiders (Until they eventually manage to destroy the door).

Calahan

Quote from: Travinsky on September 24, 2016, 12:11:08 PM
I don't know if this has been pointed out, I don't fancy digging through 22 pages of posts to find out, but I found if you order you pawn to go through a door but as it opens you Undraft then redraft the colonist the door will open fully allowing your colonist to shoot through it however, raiders will not attempt to shoot back through the door nor will the attempt to melee attack your colonists. This means your colonists can safely shoot through an open door  at raiders (Until they eventually manage to destroy the door).
This was recently reported as a bug (although I think it's been around for quite a while).
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=26218.0

Shurp

Quote from: MikeLemmer on September 24, 2016, 11:28:56 AM
What, exactly, is being exploited here?

The ability to pick up turrets and fully charged batteries and walk across the map with them to a crashed ship part.  I didn't build these on site.  I just dismantled part of my existing base defense and moved it.

My impression is that the intent of ship part crashes and sieges is to force the player to exit his fort and fight the enemy on neutral ground.  Being able to easily move turrets partially negates this.

BTW, centipedes can't hit turrets, and a lone scyther can't do too much damage either.  But I surely would have lost a colonist limb or two vs the scyther if the turrets hadn't been there.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

LedgeG2

Quote from: Shurp on September 25, 2016, 09:36:20 AM

The ability to pick up turrets and fully charged batteries and walk across the map with them to a crashed ship part.  I didn't build these on site.  I just dismantled part of my existing base defense and moved it.

My impression is that the intent of ship part crashes and sieges is to force the player to exit his fort and fight the enemy on neutral ground.  Being able to easily move turrets partially negates this.

BTW, centipedes can't hit turrets, and a lone scyther can't do too much damage either.  But I surely would have lost a colonist limb or two vs the scyther if the turrets hadn't been there.

I'm sure Tynan had this in mind when deciding batteries and turrets could be reinstalled. To me (and likely many others) it sounds more like a good tactic than an exploit.

Btw, whenever I do this I always lose a few turrets. Mainly because there are many mechs that come out and there's usually at least one with a rocket launcher.

EDIT: Ohh I forgot to mention, moving part of your defenses also means that you're spreading them thin. You run the risk of being raided while having less than normal defence at your main base.
Twitch - Ledge_G2 (RimWorld livestream)

Shurp

Well, by the time I have serious mech attacks I also have lots of colonists with body armor and rifles.  So I don't bother bringing my turrets; like you say, they tend to blow up :)

This was early in the game -- too early really, only 20 days in or so.  So I didn't have anything else to bring except two pop guns.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

pdxsean

Another exploit mentioned on reddit, the "heater exploit" if it hasn't been mentioned here. Basically a heater in a 1x1 room with a vent will heat any size room on the other side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/54aiab/this_is_how_i_warm_up_my_base_in_normal_icesheet/d80gp61

iceteazz

Quote from: pdxsean on September 27, 2016, 10:34:39 PM
Another exploit mentioned on reddit, the "heater exploit" if it hasn't been mentioned here. Basically a heater in a 1x1 room with a vent will heat any size room on the other side.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/54aiab/this_is_how_i_warm_up_my_base_in_normal_icesheet/d80gp61

_ Holy crap that's my post on reddit lol

zandadoum

same applies to coolers

iceteazz

Quote from: zandadoum on September 28, 2016, 02:18:18 AM

same applies to coolers

_ Yeah, actually it's not about heater, but Vent exploit instead.

Nevon

I was recently playing a game (large map size) when a bug hive spawned in a dark room near the southern end of the map, and my base was located at the north. I didn't have the resources to fight it and it wasn't bothersome so I left it and it kept multiplying and multiplying, and is now a massive hive that has eaten up the small hill it spawned in (one annoying thing is that I constantly get Roof Collapse notifications because the bugs keep mining adjacent cells).

Almost all of the raids, sieges and trade convoys I get come from the south and they all get eliminated instantly when they walk a few steps up and the bugs swarm them. My colony is super safe now becaus nothing can get past the megahive and I've limited all my colonists to stay away from it, but I think the game is also spawning very few raids or threats now because maybe the storyteller thinks I'm dealing with a giant hive when we're peacefully co-existing? I can also scavenge items from the dead raiders or even capture raiders who are incapacitated at a safe distance from the hive by waiting until night and then sending my psychopathic jogger (Lots of rotting bodies to be seen in that area) to snatch and run while most of the hive is asleep. I set up some incendiary mortars to set the hive on fire if I need to but honestly it's the best thing ever so I won't. I guess this could be an exploit if you purposefully mined a bunch of dark tunnels near the map edges hoping for an infestation. It could also just be a cool strategy. It would definitely be better if the hive was somehow a threat to the colony but right now it's 100% safe and 100% beneficial. Something like bugs going out on hunts perhaps? Right now I'm thinking of a way to distract the swarm so I can jog in and grab some of the insane amount of sweet sweet jelly that's been building up.

carbon

^ Neat. Perhaps after a certain number of active hives, the colony starts producing artillery bugs to target distant threats, Starship Troopers-style.