I want to hear about exploit strategies!

Started by Tynan, March 21, 2016, 04:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wishmaster

Having a lot of beers and a trade caravan with dromedary or muffalo to haul their stuff. That should suck because their animals will eat your food or w/e they can from your base.... Unless they drink so much beer that they go "hammered" (unconscious) and drop all their expensive stuff.

Shurp

Just think: prohibiting caravan animal "grazing" would not only solve the aggravation of buffalo wiping out your devilstrand, it would also remove the beer exploit.

Maybe it would be fair to drop a beer stockpile on top of your devilstrand :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: Zhentar on September 23, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Shooting inanimate objects gives you 6xp per shot (incidentally defined in a constant that calls it "practice"). Neutral animals, which carry the risks you mention, gives 50xp per shot. Actual combat gives 240xp per shot. Shooting at incapacitated combat targets still gives the same 240xp, even though the risk level is on par with the inanimate object.

You can shoot at mechanoids around a poison ship with zero risk, zero movement.

Spdskatr

Exploit No 25 V2.1

1. Tell your sniper to shoot at a (EDIT: WILD) muffalo.
2. Once muffalo downed, tell your doctor to rescue and tend to its injuries.
3.Release after fully healed.
4. Rinse and repeat until muffalo dies.
Optional:
5. Tell cook to butcher muffalo and cook meals out of its meat.
6. Tell crafter to make muffalo leather dusters. If possible cancel the unfinished duster halfway.

In muffalo dies too quickly then use a charge rifle. Higher risk but higher down chance.

Same can be repeated with thrumbos(with higher risk of course), and gives a much higher reward for your shooters and doctors, as a thrumbo can take up to 100 injuries and are almost impossible to kill before downing them.(However it is too dangeous to release the muffalo back out into the wild again, euthanize them and then get their horn , leather and meat for extra skills and $$$)
My mods

If 666 is evil, does that make 25.8069758011 the root of all evil?

Alenerel

The point of this explot is to get bonded, right?

Why leave the duster half completed?

Shurp

Quote from: Alenerel on November 23, 2016, 09:11:59 PM

Good point, it'd suck if your pet Muffalo you were using for target practice died.  Your doctor would be very unhappy.

Turning the incomplete duster back into leather allows your tailor to get more experience from the same leather.  Assuming you have a leather shortage.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

jmababa

Quote from: Wanderer_joins on November 23, 2016, 10:37:47 AM
Quote from: Zhentar on September 23, 2016, 04:42:30 PM
Shooting inanimate objects gives you 6xp per shot (incidentally defined in a constant that calls it "practice"). Neutral animals, which carry the risks you mention, gives 50xp per shot. Actual combat gives 240xp per shot. Shooting at incapacitated combat targets still gives the same 240xp, even though the risk level is on par with the inanimate object.

You can shoot at mechanoids around a poison ship with zero risk, zero movement.

Or use a short bow long range a sleeping animal always miss but free exp

Spdskatr

Quote from: Shurp on November 24, 2016, 12:46:00 AM
Quote from: Alenerel on November 23, 2016, 09:11:59 PM

Good point, it'd suck if your pet Muffalo you were using for target practice died.  Your doctor would be very unhappy.

Turning the incomplete duster back into leather allows your tailor to get more experience from the same leather.  Assuming you have a leather shortage.
Does it have to be a pet? I thought you could rescue downed wild animals. The operations tab always appears with any animal if they are in an animal sleeping spot.

@alenerel: When the colonist makes the duster they gain crafting skill. By cancelling midway you can reset the amount of work they have to do to make the piece of apparel while saving some resources(I think?) out of the muffalo leather, giving them more time to learn the crafting skill. It's an exploit that can be used very early game with making bows.

EDIT: Here's a video to show you how steps 1-4 work. Credit to GrayStillPlays.
My mods

Wanderer_joins

Quote from: jmababa on November 24, 2016, 03:28:15 AM
Or use a short bow long range a sleeping animal always miss but free exp

I don't think you get the same exp on a sleeping animal vs a moving target, and once you hit it, you've to move.

Spdskatr

Thanks guys! Skills exploit for Alpha 15 V. 2.2 is coming out!
Exploit No 25 V2.2

1. Tell your sniper to shoot at a WILD muffalo. Depending on if you want to further train your medicine or shooting skills take step M2 for medicine or S2 for shooting
M2. Once muffalo downed, tell your doctor to rescue and tend to its injuries. Proceed to step 3
S2. Equip colonist with a pistol(fast firing cycle). Put them at the maximum possible range for the muffalo and tell them to shoot at it. Because the muffalo is technically still considered a "pawn", you still get the skill points as if they are able to move. Proceed until muffalo dies of blood loss or dies of bullets.
3.Release after fully healed.
4. Rinse and repeat until muffalo dies.
Optional:
5. Tell cook to butcher muffalo and cook meals out of its meat.
6. Tell crafter to make muffalo leather dusters. If possible cancel the unfinished duster halfway.

In muffalo dies too quickly then use a charge rifle. Higher risk but higher down chance.

For Medicine: Same can be repeated with thrumbos(with higher risk of course), and gives a much higher reward for your shooters and doctors, as a thrumbo can take up to 100 injuries and are almost impossible to kill before downing them.(However it is too dangeous to release the thrumbo back out into the wild again, euthanize them and then get their horn , leather and meat for extra skills and $$$)

Euthanasia: For an interested passion doctor, they get more than 1000 xp from euthanasia.

For Shooting: It is probably better to use small sized animals like chinchillas or rabbits (Decreases hit chance) and do step 1 by beating them up with bare fists(melee skills). If you are that desperate, set up a dumping stockpile zone in front of the downed animal and fill it with chunks :D

For mechanoids, they do not have blood loss, so they can continue to be in the state of paralysis for years. Therefore, build double sandbags around them as well as hide them under a dark roof, and then put more sandbags around your sandbags. Then cover it up with a roof.

Then cover your colonist with a roof. And put sandbags around them.Then cover that all up with a roof. Et cetera.

Credit: GrayStillPlays
My mods

Alenerel

TBH I dont think that rescuing animals to learn medicine isnt an exploit at all. Thats how it worked for hundreds of years irl and it also requires micromanagement.

The only part a bit exploity is that you can heal the animal relatively quickly and hunt it again.

In fact I use the same technique with captured raiders if I dont want them. Peg peg jaw. Uninst peg peg jaw. repeat. It gives massive exp. We could say that this is actually exploity but since we cant study corpses (which would be the proper way) I see this as the equivalent.

Kopz

Not sure if this is an exploit,

I have noticed that the firefoam poppers once activated foam their surrounding area for a very long time (possibly forever or until cleaned).

I manually activate the poppers in my kill box or around whatever turrets I may be using. I then zone the area accordingly so that the foam never gets cleaned. I find this completely nullifies any fire whatsoever (better than stone floors). This is especially effective against Mechs with inferno cannons since it basically just turns it into a canon. This also seems to help a lot with turrets as it prevents them from ever catching fire or causing a lot of damage when they explode.

deepSeaKing

this is the biggest exploit ever, you can just make a freezer trap and kill the trade caravan and guess what all the free loot, and not even the faction goodwill decreases.

jmababa

exploit raiders or manhunter meet door they will attack door open it and click shoot on enemy they'll attack door while you kill them while door open not even a scratch for your colonist or tribesmen

Edit: forgot to say have someone repair door while you do this

Spdskatr

Yeah, I've seen that done before. That's just raider logic. So is attacking a random wall so that a roof will fall on top of them and kill them.
My mods