What games are coming out in July?

Started by Tynan, June 09, 2016, 11:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmurdocci

[Strategic consultingpawn here.]

I would wait until the hype around No Man's Sky fades, as well as the possible uptick in popularity Stellaris could get from the update.

From the titles described above, and obviously omitting Factorio and DF, Stellaris does share a very similar market. If they get the update right, it could gather a lot of momentum - and being the time sink it is - I don't see people double-shifting Stellaris and Rimworld.

Think about the (almost) back-to-school window; look for public weekly retail sales reports to validate your hypothesis. I'm sure data is disaggregated at least at the video game industry level. Aiming for this date, you could capture a higher than fair share of the Steam wallet money that will accumulate over the summer.

My two cents...

/edit: typo

JimmyAgnt007

Some Fallout 4 DLC landing in July.  Aside from games, might want to check the DLC for other games already out.

Simon_The_Space_Engineer

Quote from: Admiral Obvious on June 10, 2016, 02:40:15 AM
I don't know when the Steam summer sale is exactly, but I think it's during July. It's probably a bad idea to release anything then, because EVERYONE expects some sort of sale, if you buy anything there at that time.

im no expert with business but releasing around the time of mass sales with a "just released" discount or something encourage customers to give it a shot? as far as i can tell usually people are more inclined to buy something if its on sale and if a few people buy it then, their friends will see them play it and might check it out

also sorry im not aware of any rimworld like games coming out
In the end, we all make the same leather hats.

Tynan

E3 is closing down. Did anyone see anything at the show that might overlap in audience with RimWorld, and is coming out in July?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Perlex

'We Happy Few' releases July 26th on Early Access.
I think its going to create a lot of buzz so you might want to avoid it even if its very different compared to Rimworld.

Listen1

I guess early july, after people receive their salarys will be a safe bet.

I didn't see anything that would prejudice Rimworld at early July. But Late July/Early August looks like it will be a trainwreck.

On a similar note, when it hits steam i'm gonna send the page for every gamer I know. Is there another way the community can advertise the game?

cultist

Quote from: Tynan on June 17, 2016, 01:15:01 AM
E3 is closing down. Did anyone see anything at the show that might overlap in audience with RimWorld, and is coming out in July?

I don't think any of us mind helping out, but can't you get more specific info about what games are being put out on Steam directly from Valve? Or do they not give out that kind of information?

Blitz

I'll chime in. I keep a pretty detailed list of upcoming games:

22 June - The Last Leviathan

28 June - Lego Star Wars - Force unleased

July 2(ish) - Fallout Shelter Update and PC release

Early July - Prison Architect on Xbone and PS4

Mirage: Arcane Warfare - Early Summer Beta (my guess is mid-July)

26 July - We Happy Few

22 July - Death Road to Canada

Other possible July games - Okhlos, Overcooked, Pixel Privateers, Worlds Adrift, This is the Police, Niche.

August/September - Astroneer

2 August - Abzu

9 August - No Man's Sky

The biggest competition I see in July is Fallout Shelter. There's no announced release date, so I'd say the earlier the better for RW release. It'll likely be a free to play game which will probably do very well. I doubt Prison Architect will make any difference this time around. We Happy Few and No Man's Sky are going to be the other big ones - possibly Worlds Adrift (depending on when it's released).

Listen1

Thanks for answering my reply and commenting in here Blitz! Thought it was a good idea contacting you.

Didn't expect Fallout Shelter on July 2nd. I don't know how this got so popular, it's not that good of a game, mostly a cash grab... that for a while beat candy crush.

Quote from: cultist on June 17, 2016, 09:23:17 AM
I don't think any of us mind helping out, but can't you get more specific info about what games are being put out on Steam directly from Valve? Or do they not give out that kind of information?

I don't know about Valve, but until made public, a release date may be kept as an industry secret. That must be the case.

Blitz

Quote from: Flying Rockbass on June 17, 2016, 12:50:30 PM

Didn't expect Fallout Shelter on July 2nd. I don't know how this got so popular, it's not that good of a game, mostly a cash grab... that for a while beat candy crush.

I have no idea if July 2nd is right. It's in my notes, but I don't remember putting it there and can't find an actual release date. As for it being a good game - it doesn't really matter. It was free and was attached to a big name. This update will be big, especially since they are bringing it to PC and I'm assuming Steam. This may actually work in favor for RimWorld. If a bad colony sim game comes out, it could drive more people to the genre. RimWorld would likely be at the top of the charts on Steam and people may have more interest in it.

palandus

Other things in July are dlc for fallout 4, and EITR and Below will likely come out soon; Below is summer 2016, while EITR is q2/q3 2016.

As far as similiar in simulation/combat, I cant think of any except fallout shelter.

Likely its best to release early July rather than later to avoid people saving money for summer sale or other big releases. Or even beat everyone, and release on last day of June to beat July frenzy.

Also, here is a list of July releases:
http://www.vg247.com/2016/05/11/video-game-release-dates-2016/

Admiral Obvious

Just gonna bump/post this for relavancy. The summer sale just happened, and is running until the 4th. If anyone didn't notice.

narkul

Quote from: Admiral Obvious on June 23, 2016, 03:44:39 PM
Just gonna bump/post this for relavancy. The summer sale just happened, and is running until the 4th. If anyone didn't notice.

This might be the first Steam sale that doesn't get any of my money. Just nothing jumping out at me in this one.

Tynan

Thanks for the discussion everyone. July 15 has been chosen, so let's hope all goes well from here!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Dougalishere

Quote from: palandus on June 18, 2016, 01:05:04 AM
Other things in July are dlc for fallout 4, and EITR and Below will likely come out soon; Below is summer 2016, while EITR is q2/q3 2016.

As far as similiar in simulation/combat, I cant think of any except fallout shelter.

Likely its best to release early July rather than later to avoid people saving money for summer sale or other big releases. Or even beat everyone, and release on last day of June to beat July frenzy.

Also, here is a list of July releases:
http://www.vg247.com/2016/05/11/video-game-release-dates-2016/

eitr isnt coming to nxt year now