Mod orphanage

Started by Topper, July 23, 2016, 06:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topper

Can we get a spot to move mod threads that have been orphaned by their makers and need a care of a new loving parent?

Ykara

That would be great, there are so many good but dead mods.

cuproPanda

Depending on whether or not github support can help me recover the files I deleted, all of my mods might end up orphaned come A15. It would be nice to have a place where I could dump the mods pass the torch for someone else to pick up.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

notfood

aww no! how come? no more source files? I always played with your mods under Hardcore SK. It was nice to have them.

Got to get that decompiler running then...

kaptain_kavern

Normally when they are on github anybody can fork and try to update.

That's how i've done for some of the mods i maintain now

And looooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago when we were setting up the Slack with Skully and i-don't-remember-who we have spoke about setting up a Github organisation in order to put some mod in shelter or to maintain them collectively.

Just an idea ...

cuproPanda

I was trying to redo the way my github was structured. I've seen some modders' github has their entire mods on them, and people can download from there. I was trying to do that, and removed my master repository, which asked if I wanted to remove my local and online repo, and I figured it would just remove the references to the files, but it actually removed all of my scripts - FROM MY COMPUTER. I didn't realize that happened at first, and by the time I did, there was nothing I could do. I can't undo the deletion online, the scripts weren't moved to my recycle bin, and Recuva/Helix/TSK are unable to recover the files because they were somehow corrupted in the process.
cuproPanda's Mods: Survivalist's Additions, Additional Joy Objects, Cupro's Drinks, Quarry, Cupro's Stones, Zen Garden, Cupro's Alloys, Preset Filtered Zones, & more!

skullywag

Kaptain, RimWorldMod still exists:
https://github.com/RimWorldMod
It hasnt been used really and only has a version of CR in it (an old one). Its ready to go for the same purpose if needs be.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: skullywag on July 24, 2016, 02:11:01 AM
It hasnt been used really and only has a version of CR in it (an old one). Its ready to go for the same purpose if needs be.
yeah that's why i haven't forget , i see the organisation everyday :p

@CuproPanda : Have you tried to use the download link of your github in "Internet wayback machine" / google archive ?

cuproPanda

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 24, 2016, 02:19:30 AM
Quote from: skullywag on July 24, 2016, 02:11:01 AM
yeah that's why i haven't forget , i see the organisation everyday :p

@CuproPanda : Have you tried to use the download link of your github in "Internet wayback machine" / google archive ?

That was a good idea, but they only cache sites they have tracked. I tried it, but none of them had a copy, unfortunately. I'll just have to wait until Monday for a response from github support

kaptain_kavern

Hey did you manage to get it back ? i saw you created other repo/branches on github

Darkmark8910

cuproPanda

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 24, 2016, 07:13:54 PM
Hey did you manage to get it back ? i saw you created other repo/branches on github

I did :)

kaptain_kavern

milon

@OP, that's a great idea. But we'd need a fair size & reliable online storage to dump everything to & retrieve from. And a person who can access/maintain it. Etc.

Anyone got a suggestion on how that might work?

Also, I'm going to move this to Mods unless there's a good reason to keep it in Releases.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Yes I quoted myselfAnd looooooooooooooooooooooooong time ago when we were setting up the Slack with Skully and i-don't-remember-who we have spoke about setting up a Github organisation in order to put some mod in shelter or to maintain them collectively

I mean just this. Once in a github organisation, any modders who is in this organisation will be admin on it. That way we don't need a specific person to take care of that and we have a fair sized and reliable online storage