[A15] CK - Animal & Plant Pack v1.3.1 (11/04/16)

Started by Coercion, September 19, 2016, 07:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

Yes elephants doesn't eat trees in released version, it's just something I've done on my end to test the change. I then post the screenshot of what damaged the 6 elephants have done to the forest, to have your opinion.

Quote from: SpaceDorf on September 28, 2016, 04:16:41 PM
On another topic

Rice, Healroot and Devilstrand survived a toxic fallout without a problem.
So did all your other jungleplants. Something died of in between, I guess this was grass or other vanilla stuff. I can't tell anymore.
Is this intentional or just a bug ?

At the moment I am quite glad that this is the case, because rofl randy killed all my crops with a blight shortly before the first havest and before the second harvest was ready toxic fallout.
At least I have enough meat now ^^

I too noticed something similar : I had a blight incident and it turns out that it affected only vanilla crops, none of the modded one. After some search in the xml files, I wasn't able to find anything in any of them, i guess it must be "hard-coded" in the C# code for incidents.

It must be the same for Toxic Fallout but we haven't touch code for "crop" Rice, Healroot and Devilstrand. We only have introduced "wild" versions of Rice and Healroot (no Devilstrand at all) but they have a separate proper <DefName> and code.

For alphaBeavers it surprised me more. It really shouldn't happen unless triggered by DevMode (and even there, it is labelled with a big [NO]) - For this one the mod overwrite the vanilla code for the incident and remove specifically the tropical biome tag; so if you have another mod, lower in mod-list, with code for alphabeavers, it's his code that will overwrite CKAPP code... I don't know a mod that do that but maybe try to put our mod in the lowest position in your mod order)

kcirdor

Devilstrand survives Blight so it may survive fallout too.

As for the Elephants.  I dig it, how is the regrowth rate on trees?  I mean I can harvest an area for wood pretty regularly each season or so, so it seems to be a nice balance if they make a clearing.  I guess they would just keep moving and clear out the next area while the prior area regrows.  It would also balance out the fact that it Rains non stop so no fires really take down area's of the map.

Edit side note:... Never look up jungle beavers.

Too-DAMN-Much

Quote from: kcirdor on September 28, 2016, 04:49:05 PMEdit side note:... Never look up jungle beavers.

that was surprisingly tame given your warning :P
curiosity won :D

kcirdor

Quote from: Too-DAMN-Much on September 28, 2016, 04:56:48 PM
Quote from: kcirdor on September 28, 2016, 04:49:05 PMEdit side note:... Never look up jungle beavers.

that was surprisingly tame given your warning :P
curiosity won :D

I looked it up, and read the urban dictionary entry and thought thank you for moderate safe search settings at work.

Zhentar

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 28, 2016, 02:16:44 PM
It's because animals eat fern in priority. (I'm not even sure why exactly; they both have the <ingestible> value - For the ferns I copy/paste the code for grass and tweaked it, maybe it's related)

Looking at the code, it doesn't look like they should have any preference for one or the other, and should just eat whichever is closest. I'm guessing that they prefer the ferns just because statistically they're next to ferns more often.

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 28, 2016, 04:34:07 PM
I too noticed something similar : I had a blight incident and it turns out that it affected only vanilla crops, none of the modded one. After some search in the xml files, I wasn't able to find anything in any of them, i guess it must be "hard-coded" in the C# code for incidents.

It must be the same for Toxic Fallout but we haven't touch code for "crop" Rice, Healroot and Devilstrand. We only have introduced "wild" versions of Rice and Healroot (no Devilstrand at all) but they have a separate proper <DefName> and code.

Blights depend on two things. A growth time under 16 days (which is why Devilstrand survives at vanilla), and being a "cultivated plant", determined by...
return def.category == ThingCategory.Plant && Find.Map.Biome.CommonalityOfPlant(def) == 0f;

So any plant that can grow wild in your current biome is blight immune.

During Toxic Fallout, every plant has a 0.65% chance of dying every 1,666 ticks, so a ~20% chance of dying each day. Which means lots of plants will survive it, particularly if they are fast to spread. (the code is just "if(thing is Plant)", so there's no way to make a fallout immune plant via xml)

res34

While I might bring this up on the Vanilla Friendly Animals thread, but have insectoids been considered as a way to introduce well known rainforest (and eventually other biome) insects and such? Like either hives that spawn in Rainforests will spawn these (in addition or in replacement of vanilla insectoids?) or they will spawn randomly (and rarely) as regular animals, but their description describes them as rogue insectoids.

- Dragonflies (Meganeura could be referred)
- Titan Beetles
- Atlas Beetles
- Hercules Beetles
- Giant Stick Insects (could mimic trees, perhaps?)
- Atlas Moths
- Bullet and/or Army Ants (as soldiers)
- Leafcutter Ants (as harvesters, producing insect jelly for other insectoids by consuming plants)
- Goliath Birdeaters (technically not an insect)

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Zhentar on September 28, 2016, 05:54:03 PM
Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 28, 2016, 02:16:44 PM
It's because animals eat fern in priority. (I'm not even sure why exactly; they both have the <ingestible> value - For the ferns I copy/paste the code for grass and tweaked it, maybe it's related)

Looking at the code, it doesn't look like they should have any preference for one or the other, and should just eat whichever is closest. I'm guessing that they prefer the ferns just because statistically they're next to ferns more often.

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on September 28, 2016, 04:34:07 PM

Blights depend on two things. A growth time under 16 days (which is why Devilstrand survives at vanilla), and being a "cultivated plant", determined by...
return def.category == ThingCategory.Plant && Find.Map.Biome.CommonalityOfPlant(def) == 0f;

So any plant that can grow wild in your current biome is blight immune.

During Toxic Fallout, every plant has a 0.65% chance of dying every 1,666 ticks, so a ~20% chance of dying each day. Which means lots of plants will survive it, particularly if they are fast to spread. (the code is just "if(thing is Plant)", so there's no way to make a fallout immune plant via xml)

Thanks for your precise insights mate! Now I know how to correct the blight problem. I will use two sets of distinct defs for wild and cultivated plants.

And for the Toxic fallout then I think it's good : it wasn't intended to have them immune to it. So it's all good.

Again thank you very much

Coercion

Quote from: res34 on September 28, 2016, 06:48:10 PM
While I might bring this up on the Vanilla Friendly Animals thread, but have insectoids been considered as a way to introduce well known rainforest (and eventually other biome) insects and such? Like either hives that spawn in Rainforests will spawn these (in addition or in replacement of vanilla insectoids?) or they will spawn randomly (and rarely) as regular animals, but their description describes them as rogue insectoids.

- Titan Beetles
- Atlas Beetles
- Hercules Beetles
- Giant Stick Insects (could mimic trees, perhaps?)
- Atlas Moths
- Bullet and/or Army Ants (as soldiers)
- Leafcutter Ants (as harvesters, producing insect jelly for other insectoids by consuming plants)
- Goliath Birdeaters (technically not an insect)

We make a creature pack in the future that adds monsters, insectoids, aliens, etc. If we do, I will consider these.

kcirdor

http://imgur.com/gallery/0ZnKd
Here is a look at my 5th or so go at this map.  I haven't checked the spawn ratios for 1.2 yet, but I just want to note that there are currently zero Elephants on the map,  currently the map is over run with Prey and only a handful of big cats.  I imagine the wildlife balancing is difficult to tune in.

Coercion

Thanks for the feedback. There are currently 18 different animals in the biome (and more will be added), so you will not see all possible animals on the map at once. We can decrease the spawn chance of prey though (or make big cats more common). Let us know what you think.

Hydromancerx

Quote from: res34 on September 28, 2016, 06:48:10 PM

Yes please make a dragonfly! Meganeuura seems perfect since its large enough to be seen.

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: kcirdor on September 29, 2016, 02:16:07 PM
http://imgur.com/gallery/0ZnKd
Here is a look at my 5th or so go at this map.  I haven't checked the spawn ratios for 1.2 yet, but I just want to note that there are currently zero Elephants on the map,  currently the map is over run with Prey and only a handful of big cats.  I imagine the wildlife balancing is difficult to tune in.

Also a things to keep in mind is that rain forests are actually full of wildlife and the ratio between hunter/prey is always in favour of the prey by a large difference (poorly phrased, sorry about my English).

Non related : Here is a screenshot of a 2 years old base of mine (I was in for testing but - and it's where this game is so good - I felt in love with this batch of colonists and kept playing a bit.

Development Log

Now back to code.
Tonight I will make some changes to plants for the blight incident and with Coercion with discussed a bit and we will make fern less attractive for animals regarding to other "good" plants ... You'd better hurry up to forage before animals stole your future food :p

And maybe adding bongos  too ;D - The code is done (I had to make a full custom BodyDef because there wasn't one for animals with 2 horns - horns will also be "dropable" like elephant tusks with no real purpose other than being sold or serve as makeshift weapon). All it is needing now is textures  ;)

Bongos with gazelle textures for now

Hydromancerx

Yeah changing the colors of those would defiantly make them look like a bongo!

res34

Ya, only a few big cats actually sounds more natural. If I recall correctly, predators like tigers tend to have territories spanning miles. Hopefully when more smaller predators are added, that might help trim the herds a bit, such as hunting the excess cassowaries, emus, alpacas, etc...

Two questions that occurred to me. The first is whether or not its possible to code for animals to spawn in specific biome formations, like mountainous or coastal. Second, I can't recall exactly but do rhinos not drop their horns when killed in RimWorld? If not, could that be a feature that might be possible added in?

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Hydromancerx on September 29, 2016, 04:51:55 PM
Yeah changing the colors of those would defiantly make them look like a bongo!

Oh isn't he cute like that  ;D

Quote from: res34 on September 29, 2016, 05:49:51 PM
Ya, only a few big cats actually sounds more natural. If I recall correctly, predators like tigers tend to have territories spanning miles. Hopefully when more smaller predators are added, that might help trim the herds a bit, such as hunting the excess cassowaries, emus, alpacas, etc...

Don't forget that in the end you also will have to do with Komodo Dragons in addition to all the kitties ;) But yeah we can try to tune ratios a bit more. Thanks for feedbacks, it's always something hard to achieve when you introduce many changes in the gameplay to keep all things balanced (and ecosystem in RW seems as picky as in RL ^^ )

Quote from: res34 on September 29, 2016, 05:49:51 PM
Two questions that occurred to me. The first is whether or not its possible to code for animals to spawn in specific biome formations, like mountainous or coastal.

I don't know and see any way to code this ATM with only XML changes; sorry.

Quote from: res34 on September 29, 2016, 05:49:51 PMSecond, I can't recall exactly but do rhinos not drop their horns when killed in RimWorld? If not, could that be a feature that might be possible added in?

They don't in vanilla and yes it will be easy to implement. The only thing i'm debating with is whether or not releasing this here. I mean we don't have touch the rhino yet and I have not even discussed this with Coercion .
I can release this alone for now (we may introduce it in this mod if Coco is okay too) on my mini-mod thread (will link it here as soon as finish), I also happen to have a mini mod for make Thrumbo Shearable so I may release them together. Anyway you will have your dropable rhino horns my friend, and i will come back to you when it's done ;)