Community Animal Pack

Started by Hydromancerx, February 13, 2017, 09:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The-Eroks

Quote from: SheiFoxy on April 30, 2017, 12:03:57 AM
Has anyone contacted the author of Beasts of the Rim to join this? I love their alien weird animals. I find it really weird that all the creatures on this rimworld are Earthlike except two or three. [/quote

Incidently, I did PM Hey my team rules! about getting permission to add BOTR to Epic Omega, but I haven't heard anything back yet... maybe a lurker, maybe no longer here  :(

QuoteI'd like to join the "animal modders" but I don't know how to code them. If anyone could point me to a guide or any help on how to code animals, I'd be glad to consider trying my hand at adding some new creatures.

In my experience, for a large portion of situations it's just copy pasta--find an animal pawn that is similar to the creature you want, copy and paste, change a few values around (ex: <def>, <label>, <description>, and the associated <textPath>'s. Animals pawns are a bit trickier than say, melee weapons, since there is both a ThingDef and PawnKindDef that need to get added together, and don't forget to add them to a biome... but not too difficult  ;)

QuoteFor the mod we're working on we're mostly focused on terran animals and some engineered variants, but we've talked about making a separate mod for new/crazy/fantasy/alien animals after.

Not sure if you've contacted rooki1about [A12] RimBeast. It is slightly outdated at the moment. I rooki1's permission to incorporate their work into Epic Omega, so I brought it up to [A16] and added four pawns (Two Giant Insects, Fortress Turtle, and Feather Raptor) from the mod. If you got their permission, I recommend DL'ing my mod and grabbing the updated files--easy win. They are really well done and fit seamlessly into the RimWorld animal kingdom

Ekksu

TL;DR: 1.0 is getting close and I answer some questions and stuff.

I know we've been a bit quiet lately, so I figured I'd drop some info here. At the moment we're in the process of balancing/tweaking and doing a polish pass before 1.0 hits - all the actual content is nearly complete. At the moment it includes all the creatures of Taiga Mod, CP Beasties, Legacy ARK, Xen's Animals and over thirty other animals and insects unique to the mod. In addition, we've also finished compatibility patches for A Dog Said that will be available on launch. I can't give much in the way of a launch time estimate because we still have some work to do - but it hasn't been abandoned!

Almost all of the animals are ones taken from real life, but we have several lore-friendly creatures and a few completely original animals as well! Plus some fun extra features thanks to @Thirite.

At the moment I'm the only regular artist on the team, so I unfortunately am hesitant to accept already made animals into the project due to the very high chance all of the art for them would have to be redone to match the mod's and vanilla's style. That being said, of course, there are a good chunk of animals in the mods people have brought to our attention that have already been made, including walrus', honey badgers, tigers, tapirs, lions, amur and snow leopards, and probably some more tbh. But I can at least show a few of the textures I've made to get everyone hyped ;9

Ahh, as far as other news goes, I'm not sure I have anything exciting to add! But I assure everyone it's coming along very well, and seeing it in action shouldn't be much longer!

faltonico

Is alpha animals not part of this? =(

SheiFoxy

Thanks for the info. I'll poke around. I want to make a fennec fox. :)
SheiFoxy's Mods on Steam Workshop
SF Grim Reality ⚝ SF Materials Rebalanced ⚝ SF Traits Expansion ⚝ SF Cave Life

cucumpear

Quote from: SheiFoxy on May 01, 2017, 12:42:35 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll poke around. I want to make a fennec fox. :)
I hate to tell you, but there's a fennec in vanilla RW. ;)
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

SheiFoxy

Yay ... my work here is done? :D
SheiFoxy's Mods on Steam Workshop
SF Grim Reality ⚝ SF Materials Rebalanced ⚝ SF Traits Expansion ⚝ SF Cave Life

Ekksu

Quote from: faltonico on April 30, 2017, 09:48:40 PM
Is alpha animals not part of this? =(

It's not currently planned to be a part of the 1.0 release, no. At the moment we're trying to follow vanilla as much as possible and straying away from making too many diversions or editing Rimworld animals too much. There is a possibility it might be added, but none of us are currently planning on it. This mod should, however, be completely compatible with any other animal mod your little heart desires, so you can still use the original alpha animal mod without any conflicts or issues!

EDIT: There is also no current plan to include Beasts of the Rim either, as our mod is focusing on real-world animals moreso than original species. The possibility of an add-on pack with more BOTR-esque mobs is a possibility for the future, though!

SmartererThanYou

I move back to A15 just so I could play these amazing mods ;D

SullenSkulls

Hi Guys,

This sounds like a really great project.  I came across it by accident as I was searching google for Rimworld animal downloads.  Specifically I was looking for the Alpha Muffalo, as I remember it being awesome last time I played the game (been quite a few alpha's apparently).

I found it :-

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3060.0https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=3060.0

and think it might be an excellent addition to this pack if you're able to get the rights, and/or able to contact the original modder.

Just a thought.  Anyway, keep up the good work, and I look forward to seeing your progress.

kaptain_kavern

I'm back and you know how I love community projects?

So i'm volunteering !

SmartererThanYou

Hydromancerx

Ekksu

Yes! We've strayed a little bit from the original sheet that I had made by myself, but there should be a release as soon as I stop being lazy and finish a few more sprites needed ;9

cucumpear

Yes. Only two or three left. Off your butt, young man! :P
This person might poke around in Def folders more than is healthy.
https://github.com/cucumpear

Hydromancerx

ETA? I tired to load the mod from the file sharing site but it gave me a million errors. :(