[B18] [WIP] Jurassic Rimworld

Started by Serpyderpy, July 16, 2017, 08:23:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaptain_kavern

Nice :-D

If you're talking about walls being made of amber, here is some helps understanding how the game choose what stuff the ruins are made of : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33277.msg353525#msg353525

I think in your case you could just make the <stuff> for amber to being more flammable (indeed in vanilla there is no ruins walls made of woods) Or more expansive. (Again I can't recall seeing vanilla making plasteel walls)

demeggy

Drool... so I'm cobbling together an electric fence system for you... it's done in c# so requires a .dll, but you're more than welcome to it if I get it up and running properly.

Serpyderpy

QuoteIf you're talking about walls being made of amber, here is some helps understanding how the game choose what stuff the ruins are made of : https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=33277.msg353525#msg353525

I think in your case you could just make the <stuff> for amber to being more flammable (indeed in vanilla there is no ruins walls made of woods) Or more expansive. (Again I can't recall seeing vanilla making plasteel walls)

Will definitely look into that. I was tempted to make amber a tad bit more expensive too, been sort of just trying to balance everything coming up to a pre-release, so I can try that. I curiously went and had a look if amber is flammable, and it turns out it is! Amber lets off an incense-like aroma when burned (joy activity anyone?) but it technically doesn't melt or sort of dissipate, amber actually decomposes when you set it alight. You learn something new everyday, haha. In tune, I'll crank up the flammability. Thank you, man!

QuoteDrool... so I'm cobbling together an electric fence system for you... it's done in c# so requires a .dll, but you're more than welcome to it if I get it up and running properly.

Duuuude, that would be sick. Thank you! I still need to grab the graphics for the fences (I can't seem to extract the fence model and texture from JPOG very well so I'll need to find something else as reference) but I was thinking of concrete fences and then, of course, the electric fence. Maybe an aviary fence and roof too for the flying buggers. I know they can't fly out but muh immersion.

demeggy

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 26, 2017, 01:39:29 PM
Duuuude, that would be sick. Thank you! I still need to grab the graphics for the fences (I can't seem to extract the fence model and texture from JPOG very well so I'll need to find something else as reference) but I was thinking of concrete fences and then, of course, the electric fence. Maybe an aviary fence and roof too for the flying buggers. I know they can't fly out but muh immersion.

Aye, that sounds pretty awesome.

At the moment, the fence will only damage pawns that attack them - I'm planning on trying to get it to repel them backwards 'ala 'Tim Toast'. Any requests on power consumption? It simply needs to be connected to the power grid at the mo.

Serpyderpy

Quote from: demeggy on July 26, 2017, 02:28:12 PM

At the moment, the fence will only damage pawns that attack them - I'm planning on trying to get it to repel them backwards 'ala 'Tim Toast'. Any requests on power consumption? It simply needs to be connected to the power grid at the mo.

That sounds great, man! If it's per fence piece I'm not sure what might be a good number. Maybe 5w per fence? Because that's a nice rounded number and it seem somewhat fair, it doesn't sound like a lot but obviously it'll add up, with the bigger the fence perimeter the more power it'll consume.

edit: I now have the image of Tim bloody repelling off the fence playing over and over in my head
sweet lemon tea it shouldn't be that funny

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 26, 2017, 01:39:29 PM
Will definitely look into that. I was tempted to make amber a tad bit more expensive too, been sort of just trying to balance everything coming up to a pre-release, so I can try that.

I think you should make amber a "small - type " ressource like silver and gold.

Or .. you make it a own not stuffified wall type or building( compare it to the concrete walls )
then you can set the number of ressources dropped on destruction or deconstruction.

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Serpyderpy

Quote from: SpaceDorf on July 27, 2017, 08:05:54 AMI think you should make amber a "small - type " ressource like silver and gold.

Or .. you make it a own not stuffified wall type or building( compare it to the concrete walls )
then you can set the number of ressources dropped on destruction or deconstruction.

Definitely need to fix some of the stuff going on with amber, I think I just shunted any old resource def (think I copied the steel def?) in there to see if it would work. I think I'll make it akin to gold but a bit cheaper, with a higher flammability too.

Sorry for the lack of any big updates since last, I need to get my drawing game on and start making more dinosaurs. The majority of the graphics prior have taken less time because they're all things I've been able to extract from games such as JP:OG or the android/iPhone Jurassic World game, be they models, textures or both. I could probably shunt out about fifty dinosaurs if I just took pictures of the models from different angles, but they extract in non-natural poses due to their rigging, have disproportionate shapes compared to the vanilla art, meaning they'd stick out like a sore thumb, and I enjoy drawing cute Rimworld dinosaurs, so it takes a bit longer. It's all well and good having all this cool extra stuff, but not so good if I make a Jurassic Park mod with only a sprinkle of actual dinosaurs.

In the words of Ian Malcolm, eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your dinosaur tour, right?

demeggy

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 26, 2017, 02:50:52 PM
Quote from: demeggy on July 26, 2017, 02:28:12 PM

That sounds great, man! If it's per fence piece I'm not sure what might be a good number. Maybe 5w per fence? Because that's a nice rounded number and it seem somewhat fair, it doesn't sound like a lot but obviously it'll add up, with the bigger the fence perimeter the more power it'll consume.

edit: I now have the image of Tim bloody repelling off the fence playing over and over in my head
sweet lemon tea it shouldn't be that funny

The fence itself just needs one set of power to run, BUT, you're right... it should cost PER tile... makes sense that longer stretches of fence cost more power. I'll look into it.

Serpyderpy

Quote from: demeggy on July 28, 2017, 01:27:18 PM
The fence itself just needs one set of power to run, BUT, you're right... it should cost PER tile... makes sense that longer stretches of fence cost more power. I'll look into it.

That's alright, my dude, take all the time you need. I really appreciate you doing this!

demeggy

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 28, 2017, 07:30:37 PM
Quote from: demeggy on July 28, 2017, 01:27:18 PM

That's alright, my dude, take all the time you need. I really appreciate you doing this!

Np - just noticed your avatar - is that from your Rexy pawn tex? :D

Serpyderpy

QuoteNp - just noticed your avatar - is that from your Rexy pawn tex?

It is! Just editted slightly to be a bit more cute, and not every rex will spawn with a companion guineapig, haha.

Minor update!

Amber now shares much of it's similarities with gold.
Amber is now classified as a small volume resource, and will need 10x the amount to create something from it as a building resource, much like gold, silver or uranium.
Amber is slightly cheaper than it was before, sitting at 8 market value wise. This is cheaper than gold, but more expensive than uranium.
Amber has a moderate flammability rate. It won't burn like wood, but electrical fires and thunderstorms on temporary outside stockpiles can now muster some cause for concern.
Thank you SpaceDorf for the recommendations and kaptain_kavern for more help yet again!

Feeders have had their output rate decreased significantly. Test colonies were swarmed with slaughter meat and paleobales not long after building feeders. An output of 500 resources dependant on which feeder is now reduced to 50 per spawn. Spawning frequency has also been extended.
Feeders no longer require power, due to the misunderstanding that comp properties were unanimous with one another. Resources were spawning despite no power being fed. Instead, feeders now require a lot more resources to build, and are planned to be hidden behind a pre-requisite research branch to hopefully make them less overpowered.
Thank you Jules (I know you're reading this) for testing these early stages of the mod and drowning your poor muffalos in paleobales.

Reconstructed dinosaur eggs will now hatch dinosaurs that are 'fully grown', in the sense that they will still age and be labelled as hatchlings, but will appear to be at full draw size as if they were adults. This is mainly to be of use to those who want fully grown dinosaurs, but also insinuates that the reconstructed dinosaurs are not entirely natural.

Amber Extraction Benches and DNA Reconstruction Benches are planned to be hidden behind a research branch.

Several other buildings and decor have had little things tweaked, like size, resources to make, and value.

Big update coming soon!
had to deal with icky real life stuff, bleh

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Serpyderpy on July 29, 2017, 11:25:01 PM
Thank you SpaceDorf for the recommendations and kaptain_kavern for more help yet again!
I told you I wanna help :-p

So does it solve the amber walls situation? :-D

Please take time for actually playing or relaxing, I would be sad to see you burning out ;-)

Serpyderpy

QuoteI told you I wanna help :-p

So does it solve the amber walls situation? :-D

Please take time for actually playing or relaxing, I would be sad to see you burning out ;-)

And I really do appreciate all the help, probably wouldn't have cranked so much content out if it hadn't been for the people commenting in this thread. Regarding the amber walls, it seems to have done the trick! Haven't seen another amber wall ever since I updated it with the new values and all.

I do get easily distracted, so playing it or any other game isn't going to be a problem, don't worry. I have a feeling I won't burn out so easily. Often I load Rimworld up to check something in-game that I can't decifer through .xml alone and then realise I spent two hours building up yet another test colony.

Plus, relaxing is what I do best.

Edie00773

Well, I for one think there should be a bonus mod where very rex does spawn with a guinea pig

Serpyderpy

Quote from: Edie00773 on July 30, 2017, 08:34:46 PM
Well, I for one think there should be a bonus mod where very rex does spawn with a guinea pig

I could do that, just for fun, but then I'd deliberately make it so that it wasn't compatible with Combat Extended just to purposely annoy and torment you.

love you <3