[1.0] Smokeleaf Industry v1.14a

Started by larSyn, September 20, 2017, 10:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruisuki

Alright you convinced me. I was planning on waiting for a lite version to be released but the fact that you mentioned the mod is only as big as you make it (as opposed to immediately overwhelming you) and also I just created a 20 wide room right next to my hospital and research station made me decide to try it.  Figure now is a good time for the eggheads to break bad and use that additional space for a drug house anyway. Adding this to my existing save soon.

This is the power of top10

edit: the thought of combining this with prison labor mod...pure unadulterated joy! Technically itd be the prisoners breaking the law, not my colonists. Its almost criminal.

larSyn

Wow, go away for a few days and this page has blown up! ;D

Quote from: Madman666 on February 18, 2018, 06:08:12 PM
One thing i don't quite enjoy is some recipes requiring biocoal only. Biocoal gets automatically used by fuelable crafting stations and you can't really restrict the fuel usage other than manually forbidding stacks. I crafted a lot of it, aiming at making some hemp nanosheets, but when I actually got to it - i had 10 biocoal left out of 500...

Yeah I'm having an issue deciding how to make a usable bench fuel source or if there should even be one
I may change biocoal to carbonized hemp, and add a hemp pellet for the fuel source.  It would only be used for the fuel and then the carbonized hemp would be used to make nanosheets.  I'm torn on this though...not sure if you all can tell but I like having things be used for more than one purpose.  The work amounts will be adjusted accordingly.  Let me know what you all think, and thanks for the all feedback Madman!

Quote from: Crow_T on February 18, 2018, 07:05:55 PM
I like lighter mods as well, and this is by no means a must do, just some ideas for a lite version:
Eliminate some levels of smokeleaf processing, things like separating parts and cutting tables. Just use straight up smokeleaf + any other extra ingredients.
Eliminate some of the materials like bricks and flooring, as well as the new coal/hempene lineup, keep the cloth and composite. Hempoline may go as well, I think you can refine smokeleaf into chemfuel already.
I think the edibles and meds are good, not sure if there is much overlap in this area.
This would be a good intro version for players who may be overwhelmed by large mods with many new processes (like me).

These are good ideas for the Lite version.  I'll get this version put together after I finish the faction mod.  Thanks for the suggestions!

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 18, 2018, 08:01:07 PM
You can essentially let your entire colony live off of smokeleaf with this mod. ... Especially if you haven't used it before. You will appreciate all of the attention to detail, and can tell the author has his heart in it.

Thanks, Harry! :)

Quote from: Kori on February 19, 2018, 06:02:19 PM
larSyn is already working on another smokeleaf related mod that adds a new faction. :)

Yup, but it's kinda gotten away from me, it went from a faction of traders specifically for SI, to a full blown cartel.  I keep getting new ideas for it, lol.  I'll see what I can do to make it dynamic like Ruisuki asked, that'd be really cool. It should be ready soon, I hope.

Quote from: Vlad0mi3r on February 21, 2018, 05:01:24 AM
It certainly doesn't unbalance the game if you want the top end benefits of smokeleaf you have to work for them.

Its only as big as you want it to be to be honest you could do the basic research and just make joints how you used to. I bet that wouldn't last long though because its a straight forward mod as well not dicking around with a heap of new bits and pieces and so far I have not had any conflicts with other mods.

My mod list is supposed to be a self imposed cap of 20 its up to about 30 at the moment. Smokeleaf Industry is in my top 10.

Thanks for all the support, vlad!  :)

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 21, 2018, 06:56:55 AM
Alright you convinced me....

Welcome aboard!  Like most have said the mod is only as big as you want to make it, and the top tier stuff requires a decent amount of work to get.  Be careful installing midgame if you have Vegetable Garden installed (SI is kind of designed with VG in mind, it makes some of the production easier).  Check the OP for the details on this.  Hope you enjoy the mod!  And feel free to leave any feedback you may have.  The mod wouldn't be the same without all the help and suggestions from the people here.  :)

Madman666

Hey, thank you for being attentive to us, @larSyn, I am glad my feedback is useful to you. I enjoy the mod a lot. And yeah I can tell you like having multiused items, whats more I like it as well. Its a big part of why I enjoy playing with SI. Honestly the only issue is vanilla RW not having a UI for choosing fuel types to be used, since vanilla benches only allow for one type of fuel anyway. If there was a way to forbid the use of fuel types it would fix the issue. Adding carbonized hemp and fuel pellets might be a solution, though a bit of a wonky one with the amount of production steps SI already has. I guess you could also introduce something like a ultrahigh temperature smelting station, which only works on biofuel and lets you craft biocomposite and nanosheets in much bigger amounts (kinda like autotrimmer). Maybe even add Vegetable garden resource plants smelting to it too. Could be a nice solution as well.

Ruisuki

This modder is dope. Cant wait for the new mod too.

RyanRim

Havent played RimWorld for weeks, boy this mod has developed. Checked back, still the best mod about is smokeleaf industry :D

✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯✯

larSyn

Quote from: Madman666 on February 21, 2018, 11:12:50 AM
Hey, thank you for being attentive to us...

No problem!  I believe that the users opinions matter just as much as my own.  After all you all are the ones playing with the mod (I do too, but I spend more time modding than playing lately, so I depend on the feedback).  I'm still not sure what to do about the hemp biocoal.  Like you said a dding the pellets would just be more work for the user and tedious, but it would definitely make it so you're not using the fuel if you don't want to.  I also kinda like the idea of a new bench specifically for the advance materials, but I don't want there to be too many benches either... Still up in the air.  I've also toyed with removing the fuel source patch completely and not having one at all, which may win out in the end.

Quote from: Ruisuki on February 21, 2018, 05:26:47 PM
This modder is dope. Cant wait for the new mod too.

Thanks!  ;D  It's coming along.  Trying to figure out how to make it dynamic and have the faction respond to your supplies.  This may be beyond me though, but I'll try and get it.

Quote from: RyanRim on February 22, 2018, 11:18:20 AM
Havent played RimWorld for weeks, boy this mod has developed. Checked back, still the best mod about is smokeleaf industry :D

Thanks, Ryan! Good to see you back!  :)

Madman666

Well i can see the problem with having too many benches. You can always just let it stay the way it is now biocoal shortage can be solved rather easily - just plant more smokeleaf ':) Or you can alter the output, with more biocoal being produced from less fibers. I still would really like "bulk smelting station" of some kind that has x25 x75 recipes. I don't think just one additional bench will make it bad.

Harry_Dicks

Personally not a fan of bulk recipes if they don't have the extra work accounted for. I just don't want to see my pawn make 5 of something in the same time it would take to make 1. Maybe if it took 80% of the time, or something like that. Even still, it makes it so that I will never want to use the less efficient recipes. If possible, could we have the "bulk" recipes locked behind a research, or require something else to be enabled?

Here's a really fun idea I just had, especially because I made my own half-ass "add ons" mod https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=38852.0

Could you have an add on for benches, that it will unlock further recipes only when this add on is there? For example, where you have a pawn at a work bench for trimming smokeleaf, say he can only do the normal 1x recipe with no additions. But you could unlock through research an "auto trimmer add on" (of course with a different name :) ) which would then allow anyone working at this station to then do 5x and 10x recipes, in addition to a small increase in work speed for all work done at this bench? Not going to say for anyone to follow my formulas, but in my mod even with 5 add ons a work bench would never get much above an extra 40% work speed.

Some fun silly ideas that popped in my head just now :P

Madman666

Please remember that we are talking about production steps, not meals for example, you're not getting the end product, but more ingredients to make end product. This mod has impressive production chain and making default recipe x1 and addons only unlocking x10? Please, no. I think trimming smokeleaf should stay as it is already. You want it fast - get autotrimmer and you can process more at the cost of less byproducts. You want more productivity - go for trimming table. x1 recipes are there to use all of the stuff without leaving incomplete stacks to rot in your storage. With this mod you're supposed to grow crapton of smokeleaf and also process a ton of smokeleaf. I already have to use 3 tables to process it fast enough with x10 recipe. I really don't wanna have 10 tables with half the colony trimming smokeleaf because its so slow.

The idea of addons unlocking additional bills is nice though, so I wouldn't mind an addon that say unlocks a bill that is a little bit more productive or a requires a bit less work to be done.

Harry_Dicks

I think you are getting it twisted. I was simply using meals as an example. Anyways, all I was referring to was that I'm not a fan of bulk recipes that don't take an appropriate amount of time compared to individual recipes.

Madman666

In smokeleaf industry bulk recipes do use a fair amount of time, more in fact than would be needed to do a non-bulk recipe (at least for crafting nanosheets and biocoal that is true). I didn't see any bulk recipe that takes same amount of time but produces 5x amount of stuff aside from smokeleaf autotrimmer, but in its case it supposed to be real fast and it costs a fair bit of resources and power and even locked behind a research project. As for not liking bulk recipes that are more effective than singular ones - honestly, having an option is exactly good because you can use or ignore it, this way people, who like bulk recipes get the chance to do bulks, people who don't like bulk recipes - can use non bulk recipes and everyone is happy. So if you don't like it - just ignore it.

And if you can't ignore it, because it is that much more effective to do in bulk - well thats your own problem. Going in RecipeDefs file and deleting bulk options isn't that hard, so you can even fine tune everything to be how you want it to be. I for one like bulk recipes because that helps me avoid setting up mini stockpiles next to benches, because having a lot of stockpile zones negatively impacts performance.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on February 23, 2018, 05:07:47 PM
As for not liking bulk recipes that are more effective than singular ones - honestly, having an option is exactly good because you can use or ignore it, this way people, who like bulk recipes get the chance to do bulks, people who don't like bulk recipes - can use non bulk recipes and everyone is happy. So if you don't like it - just ignore it.

And if you can't ignore it, because it is that much more effective to do in bulk - well thats your own problem. Going in RecipeDefs file and deleting bulk options isn't that hard, so you can even fine tune everything to be how you want it to be. I for one like bulk recipes because that helps me avoid setting up mini stockpiles next to benches, because having a lot of stockpile zones negatively impacts performance.

Look man I'm just voicing my opinion that I don't like them. I could just as easily throw your argument back in your face and say something like, "if you really don't like and/or can't ignore that there are no bulk recipes then juts go into the XML defs and edit them yourself." Sorry but that's lame, of course I can do that.

I'm just stating my opinion on what I do and don't like. That doesn't give you the right to tell me how I'm wrong for having my own damn opinion. I never said it should absolutely be a certain way and this must be set in stone. No, I'm just giving feedback. It feels like you are getting so defensive of a suggestion I made for something that I like to see in mods and it would just ruin your day if it ever came to be.

It's not that big of a deal.

Madman666

Thats a good thing you didn't throw that argument back in my face, since that would be a bit embarassing. Because, you know, having an option and ignoring it because you don't like it and not having an option and going to xmls to add it is completely different.

I am in no way saying you shouldn't have your opinion - perish the thought, man, I am just voicing, why I don't agree with your opinion and why I wouldn't want to have it how you see it. Having only non-bulk recipes in a mod like SI, which revolves around large scale production chains (thus industry) would indeed ruin my day, as to continue my run, I'd have to go fix that, so I got defensive, yup.

I however don't really see, why you came to a conclusion, that i told you, what to do or not have your opinion and in turn got defensive about that. You voiced what you didn't like and how you see it being optimal\fun. I voiced why i didn't like that, because lets admit it - feedback is usually posted in hopes of it being implemented. If my post did offend you - my apologies, that wasn't my intention. My intention was only to voice my concern about bulk recipes potentially being reworked\removed and thats it.

Harry_Dicks

Quote from: Madman666 on February 23, 2018, 06:19:10 PM
Thats a good thing you didn't throw that argument back in my face, since that would be a bit embarassing. Because, you know, having an option and ignoring it because you don't like it and not having an option and going to xmls to add it is completely different.
I keep reading these lines and I cannot tell if you are being sincere or being a smartass. Nuance is hard to decipher over text.

Quote from: Madman666 on February 23, 2018, 06:19:10 PM
I am in no way saying you shouldn't have your opinion - perish the thought, man, I am just voicing, why I don't agree with your opinion and why I wouldn't want to have it how you see it. Having only non-bulk recipes in a mod like SI, which revolves around large scale production chains (thus industry) would indeed ruin my day, as to continue my run, I'd have to go fix that, so I got defensive, yup.

I however don't really see, why you came to a conclusion, that i told you, what to do or not have your opinion and in turn got defensive about that. You voiced what you didn't like and how you see it being optimal\fun. I voiced why i didn't like that, because lets admit it - feedback is usually posted in hopes of it being implemented. If my post did offend you - my apologies, that wasn't my intention. My intention was only to voice my concern about bulk recipes potentially being reworked\removed and thats it.
I'm not offended, I am just defending my stance after I felt like this was made to be incorrect. I felt this way because I was just throwing a small minor opinion and felt like this became a make or break feature for you. You made it seem like this is the wrong opinion to have, because of the reasons you listed, rather than treating it as just a different opinion (which I feel like you are now, but were not earlier).

Either way, a misinterpretation on my part I will apologize for, but don't worry, never again will I recommend not having bulk recipes, because I can see now how big of a deal this is to other people and it really doesn't matter that much to me.

Canute

Little feedback.
It is a bit annoying when you allready can cook/bake smokeleafe cookie, but when you can't made the hemp milk.
I think the research should unlock all the normal recipes, while a further research should unlock the bulk recipes.

Same to trim cultivation (x5) at the cultivation table, both need adv. research, while you allready can build the table the 1x and x5 recipes should be availble there too like you can do at the Drug lab.
While the x10 stay behind the adv. smokeleaf cultiv. research.

Nutrileaf bar and other food stuff,
you made it out of good stuff and it is a nice addon.
But i think it should have somekind of nutri. value, i think 0,25 would be ok.
And since it contain smokeleaf stuff maybe some 5-10% joy wouldn't be bad.