[1.3] Miscellaneous w MAI+Robots

Started by Haplo, May 16, 2014, 05:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goo Poni

It's just random. Sometimes the factions will be friendly. Sometimes they won't. I think there's at least one hostile faction at all times. The one pirate faction at the bottom of the list always seems to be hostile.

EDIT:
Hey, Haplo, how difficult would it be for one with no modding experience in Rimworld aside from editing a few gun files to give the MAI assembler a recipe to build friendly mechanoids that would heal like a MAI does? I notice that it doesn't use a recipe bill, presumably so that colonists aren't "locked" into their task until it's complete.

Would be it be as "simple" as copy pasting the relevant files for making a MAI and replacing it with a centipede or a Scyther along with changing art to respective mechanoids?

Haplo

No, it won't be as simple, as the whole building process + result is defined hardcoded in the Assembler. So, if you want to make a different recipe, you have to make part of it inside the dll.
I tried myself on an Assembler that worked with recipes, but that is a long way from finished, as the whole recipe processing isn't that trivial on the c# side. That is right now on my 'On Hold' list.

Also what do you mean with 'heal like a MAI does'? Do you have access to my actual work in progress? ;)

Goo Poni

I noticed that MAIs fixed themselves over time with damaged body parts getting good quality healing, probably to avoid being nickel-and-dimed till they go into shock and explode. They do it in TTM so it doesn't seem like some newfangled WIP thing.

But, meh, was just looking for a way to build friendly scythers and centipedes and this was the only mod that involved the creation of your own friendly colonists, at least in recent history. Can't copy paste the files and replace mentions of MAIs with mentions of mechanoids either? So build an assembler for a MAI, another for a scyther, another for a centipede, so on, so forth?

Haplo

You can propably insert it all into one Assembler, but you have to do it via .dll modding. Right now it's not that modifyable, as I didn't necessarily built it for more than Mai.
But, if you have a pawn for the mechanoid, it would propably not that hard to make the neccessary changes to the Assembler.
As I said: doable yes, with only XML modding, no.

Goo Poni

If it is doable, then what would I need to fiddle with? I don't mind if it's beyond playing with XML files, they're just the only thing I've messed with in Rimworld thus far. ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg. Would it be easier if I just ask in the general modding subsection on how to make a crafting table or some such that builds mechanoids?

Rikiki

Better head to the "help" board! Plenty of nice people waiting to help you. :)

I would suggest you to begin with the pinned Haplo's dark-matter generator tutorial.
And look for answer in the help board before asking. Creating a workbench has been answered sooo many times... ::)

mrofa

Quote from: Goo Poni on November 21, 2014, 08:03:05 AM
If it is doable, then what would I need to fiddle with? I don't mind if it's beyond playing with XML files, they're just the only thing I've messed with in Rimworld thus far. ihavenoideawhatimdoing.jpg. Would it be easier if I just ask in the general modding subsection on how to make a crafting table or some such that builds mechanoids?

Building mechanodis isnt a problem, its simply to make a isnvisible item that will spawn a mechanoid when item its self gets spawned (crafted).

Xml is limited in this matter thrugh, but you can easily do that basicly in c#, just look thrugh guides they aren that scary ad they look :D
All i do is clutter all around.

Goo Poni

Quote from: Rikiki on November 21, 2014, 08:57:40 AM
Better head to the "help" board! Plenty of nice people waiting to help you. :)

I would suggest you to begin with the pinned Haplo's dark-matter generator tutorial.
And look for answer in the help board before asking. Creating a workbench has been answered sooo many times... ::)

Yeah, the smelter tutorial on the wiki is basically a workbench tutorial. Can a recipe spawn pawns? I'd like to make a recipe that uses a mechanoid corpse, some metal and some plasteel to create a converted friendly mechanoid that does little beyond fight and fight well. I'd then like an array of operations that don't use doctors but crafters instead to apply armour protection, bonuses to movespd (already seen how this is done in the core HealthDiffs_AddedParts) as well as debuffs to these things as well. Lengthen a Scyther's knife hands to improve it's melee damage while making it clumsier with a weapon or layer more plasteel on a Centipede at the cost of slowing the thing down with the added weight, or shed some armour for less protection and better movement. Improve targeting heuristics to provide aimtime and accuracy bonuses. So many curious ideas. I'll make a thread in the Help forums. While I can see how to improve melee damage or make them move faster, I don't see how to make the operations not use doctors or how to provide aimtime/armour with extra body parts. No need to clutter Haplo's thread with it all.

Though, Haplo, the automagical healing that MAIs have, could I use that for colony mechanoids if I get it all figured out and get a mod rolling?

NINJA EDIT:

Craftable items that spawn things on creation. Hrm. Definitely gonna need to open a thread for it. Also gonna need to look at that C#

DOUBLE EDIT:
Well that modding tutorial for the C# would be great if I could use it. Yay for outdated OSs and abandoned support.

ghostnineone

How do you use the visitor medical bed? I right click on the bed and I don't get any options to rescue anyone, my colonists will also sleep in it like a regular medical bed.

Goo Poni

Select a colonist first, then r-click the medical bed. The same as if you were prioritizing someone working at a specific crafting table. If you have fallen visitors, there should be options to go rescue them. Otherwise yes, your own colonists will make use of them, so you are free to replace all the beds in your medical ward with visitor beds for additional capacity.

ghostnineone

Right clicking a colonists didn't seem to work either. It was a visitor from one of the factions that was downed from the void from TTM custom events so maybe that made the bed not work?

Goo Poni

Don't r-click on a colonist. Select one, anyone and r-click the bed. If someone's wounded, it should show the option for that colonist to then go pick them up. If this is what you're doing and there is most definitely a friendly incapacitated, try scrolling back through this thread a little. I had an issue earlier where I could not bring friendlies to bed, seemingly due to a wounded animal that had gone into shock and was messing with the code. Look around recent battlefields.

EDIT: If that is the case, then there should be an updated bit of code from Haplo to use. You can probably also put the animal out of it's misery, that might rectify the issue, though you'd hafta ask Haplo as to whether that would actually sort it out.

litlbear

The visitor beds don't seem to work? There's an incapacitated guy neutral to me, and I can only capture or strip.
yes

Goo Poni

Again, click on a colonist then r-click on a bed as if you were prioritizing a job for them. If the option for an incapped visitor does not appear, look around the map for an incapped creature as they apparently break the bed code. Or, look a couple pages back for an updated link from Haplo which should alleviate that problem.

Haplo

There was a problem in 1.7.5 where the visitor bed didn't work anymore.
But the functionality is like when you use a comms console:
Select colonist, R-Click bed, select incapped visitor from menu.

Update 1.7.6:
-Fixed visitor bed problem
-Some changes to Mai's healing.
(Thanks to Pro_D for his help/input)