[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Kasta

The gear tab of every colonist that isn't a mage is blank after the 1.9.0 update for me.

Torann

Just pushed out an update that should fix the empty tabs.  It's uploaded on steam, if you use moddb, redownload the latest (1.9.0) file.

Torann

Quote from: Harry_Dicks on February 27, 2018, 12:42:33 PM
Also, does enchanting come from a pawn, random scrolls, buyable or producable scrolls, is there any chance involved in anything, can enchantments stacks or overwrite each other, can things be enchanted multiple times, what are the (if any) limitations behind enchanting? Could you elaborate in anyway how this system works, please? Thanks! :)
At its base, enchanting is a commodity and uses a core set of resources, research, production, and time to develop.  You can find raw magicyte in any mineable stone and a pawn can randomly break loose a piece when mining.  These can be refined on the gemcutting table to form usable enchanting stones.  The gemcutting table is a new production table, and research has to be complete to construct it.  Raw magicyte and refined magicyte can be bought and sold like any other commodity (from the right vendor).  As mentioned before, an enchanted item gets no boost to monetary value, so any commodity value is lost after performing an enchantment.  The (future) enchanter class might gain some ability to extract an enchantment.  Enchantments are not random, so unlike the infused mod, you'll never run across an item on a pawn in a raid that's enchanted.

At this point, it deters from standard commodities and becomes something specific to magic.  Mages can equip an enchanting gemstone and use mana to enchant an item.  Non-mages get zero benefit from equipping an item with any of the current enchantments (though I suppose they would benefit from spell resistance). The enchanting process is fairly unique - rather than use workbenches and bills that could become incredibly unwieldy, this is all done through a float menu.  Right click on the enchanting stone you'd like to apply and equip it, right click on the item to enchant, that's it.  Somewhat more "manual" and it doesn't use the bills process but with the rarity of gemstones and the customization it will offer, I think that's fine.

Enchantments on an item can be viewed in a simple tab menu that shows up when selecting an item on the ground and opening the "Enchanted" tab.  Items can be enchanted with 1 of each type of enchantment where new enchantments overwrite old enchantments of the same kind.  Since there are 5 "types" of enchantments, a single item could maintain 5 separate enchantments.  Right now there are no caps, but that might change.  When items are equipped, you can see the accumulated enchantment status on the pawn's health tab.

A few concerns that I'd appreciate feedback on:
1. Since magicyte is essentially an added commodity at no cost, how can this be balanced out?  Is it too easy to make money from magicyte?  I've used "Jade" as a resource required in the processing of magicyte, so you'll need to collective substantial amounts of jade to form powerful enchanting stones.  That being said, jade always seemed like an under-utilized resource to begin with, so I'm not sure that's a effective control.  Of course, the research and production times are an added sink.
2. There needs to be a good balance, or maybe a soft cap, to enchanting - are the current enchantment values too strong/too weak?  Is it too easy to super-power a caster with enchantments?
3. Do the enchantments themselves make sense?  Are they all worthwhile or is there just 1 or 2 you'd always get?  I'd like to see some enchantments be "better" for certain classes, without necessarily being class specific.
4. Lastly, I mentioned the plan for two new enchantment types - spell damage and spell resistance, what other enchantments would you like to see?  Keep in mind that the definition here is of a property and not an effect, those will come later.

henk

Since you get magicites by mining, does that mean flat maps have essentially no magicite?

How about making wild elemental corpses have a chance to drop magicite? Right now, butchering them gives nothing at all.

billyma6

Hey, so I'm trying to make some of the new gems to upgrade, but when I right-click the bench with the bills in it, it doesn't do anything, even when I have all the materials required and the pawn is a mage.

Harry_Dicks

Torann this sounds incredible! It's apparent that you've been toiling away adding in all of these awesome new features. I'm really excited to try them out in game hopefully later today. :)

I also love your idea of doing enchantments through floating context menus. Personally, I hate seeing cluttered "recipe screens".

Quote from: billyma6 on February 28, 2018, 01:02:43 AM
Hey, so I'm trying to make some of the new gems to upgrade, but when I right-click the bench with the bills in it, it doesn't do anything, even when I have all the materials required and the pawn is a mage.

Quote from: Torann on February 27, 2018, 06:40:00 PM
Just pushed out an update that should fix the empty tabs.  It's uploaded on steam, if you use moddb, redownload the latest (1.9.0) file.
Will this fix your problem, billyma6?

Torann

Quote from: henk on February 28, 2018, 12:00:27 AM
Since you get magicites by mining, does that mean flat maps have essentially no magicite?
How about making wild elemental corpses have a chance to drop magicite? Right now, butchering them gives nothing at all.
Yeah, that's a good idea... but are you getting wild elementals or do you mean elementals from the rift?  Elementals should never appear in the wild.  But it also reminds me that elemental rift has no rewards since I planned on it rewarding magicyte, so I'll have to add that in.

The gemcutting bench works like any other bench and lets you craft enchanting stones.  The stones that are produced from the gemcutting bench are what you'll equip on a mage to perform an enchantment.  When you have equipped an enchanting gem, then you right click the item you want enchanted (not the bench).

henk

There's no wild elementals, I meant the rift... But there COULD be. Manhunter elementals? Traveling summoner raid with several elementals? Elemental migration? Elementals are interesting creatures and could be added to a lot of events to make them more interesting.

bethorien

Is there a way that you could make it so one can cast regeneration on downed pawns?

henk

You can cast spells on downed pawns and creatures.

Canute

You can cast regneration on any living pawn, this include downed pawn's too.
If this isn't possible, there is something wrong.

henk

Why are all the research projects Transcendent level? It makes them cost much more than they should for neolithic tribes.

billyma6

Quote from: Torann on February 28, 2018, 08:45:51 AM
The gemcutting bench works like any other bench and lets you craft enchanting stones.  The stones that are produced from the gemcutting bench are what you'll equip on a mage to perform an enchantment.  When you have equipped an enchanting gem, then you right click the item you want enchanted (not the bench).
No, I mean like you can right-click a workbench with uncompleted bills to prioritize doing those bills immediately, right? In every other bench I can right click on and it'll say "Prioritize smelting weapon", etc. but when I want to prioritize making the gems no popup shows saying "Prioritize".

Edit: From looking around the file structure, it appears you're lacking a WorkGiver definition, and perhaps that's why there's no popup for Prioritize.

Torann

Quote from: billyma6 on February 28, 2018, 07:27:12 PM
Quote from: Torann on February 28, 2018, 08:45:51 AM
No, I mean like you can right-click a workbench with uncompleted bills to prioritize doing those bills immediately, right? In every other bench I can right click on and it'll say "Prioritize smelting weapon", etc. but when I want to prioritize making the gems no popup shows saying "Prioritize".

Edit: From looking around the file structure, it appears you're lacking a WorkGiver definition, and perhaps that's why there's no popup for Prioritize.
Ah, gotcha.  I'll take a look, thanks.

Quote from: henk on February 28, 2018, 03:51:18 PM
Why are all the research projects Transcendent level? It makes them cost much more than they should for neolithic tribes.
Hmm, true, that was a bit of an oversight.  The transcendent cost was decreased to put the spacer research cost where I wanted it, but didn't take into account it would double for tribes, which doesn't make sense.

billyma6

Quote from: Torann on February 28, 2018, 08:59:14 PM
Quote from: henk on February 28, 2018, 03:51:18 PM
Hmm, true, that was a bit of an oversight.  The transcendent cost was decreased to put the spacer research cost where I wanted it, but didn't take into account it would double for tribes, which doesn't make sense.
Isn't there a mod for that? Like either AI Uplifting Assistant or TechAdvancing?

Also I looked around online for the Def structure, and yeah; the WorkGiver def makes the player pawns able to prioritize. I'm not that great a modder, but I think that's it.