[1.0] A RimWorld of Magic

Started by Torann, November 24, 2017, 11:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chaos17

I've one sniper and bard in my colony and oh man I think everything should've now skill unlock to do cool stuff lol
Thank you for the mod, it's really cool  8)

HerrColonel

Hey! I've been off rimworld for quite a bit and I'm back here because I do a new install with this mod.

I though of the idea to be able to "ban" some classes of magic or melee at the start of the game. The book to learn that class would then not be accessible. And raiders of that class would not spawn.

In my case, for example, I would like to be able to ban the priest class as I think the resurect spell is OP. But that can also be useful if a player finds some class not fun to deal with when being raided and want to get rid of it in his gameplay.

Just some thoughts. Still my favorite mod =) keep up the good work

Dunqan

I don't think this is a bug necessarily but thought I'd post it here in case anyone can help.  I'm getting an error on starting the program (not loading a game yet) - Which is weird because I haven't changed anything and this is a new Red error.

I've been playing for 40+ hours without this error (as far as I know) and it just showed up today when I restarted the program after a couple of hours away.

Exception from long event: System.Exception: TM_InvisMinion.lifeStages[0].bodyGraphicData ---> System.Exception: BoundMap(,) ---> System.Exception: CombatExtended :: CropVertical error while cropping Textures/Spells/invis_side ---> System.ArgumentException: Color[] has no pixels with alpha < 0.25
  at CombatExtended.Def_Extensions.CropVertical (UnityEngine.Color[] array, Int32 width, Int32 height) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.ExtractBounds (Verse.Graphic graphic, GraphicType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.ExtractBounds (Verse.Graphic graphic, GraphicType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.BoundMap (Verse.Graphic graphic, GraphicType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.BoundMap (Verse.Graphic graphic, GraphicType type) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.Inject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at CombatExtended.BoundsInjector.Inject () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at Verse.LongEventHandler.UpdateCurrentSynchronousEvent (System.Boolean& sceneChanged) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I'm using Combat Extended and it has worked fine so far - up to year 2+, so not sure why this error would be showing up now.

And to re-iterate - this is happening BEFORE I load my save, and it has never showed up before. 

Any help appreciated!

Canute

I didn't watch CE topic's, does CE got a update lately ? So something changed from that side ?
Or did you just update Rim of Magic, than it is related to the latest minion change.

Dunqan

Oddly neither one has updated - both folders still labeled ast 5/16 when I downloaded this set of mods for my new play through.

That's why it's strange to have the Red error pop up now (after loading the game 20-39 tines wothout it popping up).

I got a response on the CE Discord that this error makes sense because  CE estimates the height and width of a pawn (for hit probabilities I'd assume) by using the image to estimate it. So a blank image will cause an error.

Torann

Quote from: Dunqan on May 25, 2018, 07:38:03 AM
Oddly neither one has updated - both folders still labeled ast 5/16 when I downloaded this set of mods for my new play through.

That's why it's strange to have the Red error pop up now (after loading the game 20-39 tines wothout it popping up).

I got a response on the CE Discord that this error makes sense because  CE estimates the height and width of a pawn (for hit probabilities I'd assume) by using the image to estimate it. So a blank image will cause an error.
Well the "invis Minion" was something of a hack to fix a bug and has since been removed from appearing anywhere in the game.  The Def still exists, which might be why you're getting the error, and the graphics for the Def are a 100% transparent object.  As far as gameplay, you should be able to ignore the error as no impact since it never gets created (unless through dev mode).

Torann

Updated to v2.0.0

• New Class: Faceless (might) - faceless excel at manipulation, perception, and deception; through their cunning tactics, they can take the strength of another and make it their own.

- Deception - exploiting knowledge of how the pawn mind perceives things, the faceless are able to blend into the canopy, becoming just another harmless object to an observer - making themselves all but invisible. Performing hostile actions will break the deception.

- Mimic - creates an imitation of a fighter or mage skill; can be used on enemy or friendly pawns alike to acquire a one-time-use ability.

- Reversal - reverses the kinetic energy of projectile and melee attacks back towards the attacker for a short time

- Transpose - the faceless takes the place of another pawn and forces the other pawn to take its place

- Possess - confuses and causes doubt in the mind of a target pawn to gain (limited) control over their body; possession can also be used to enhance the physical capability of a willing host

• New mod options have been added to allow you to mark enemy fighter classes; another new option allows friendly pawns (mages and fighters) to also be marked.

• Global skills Spirit (mage) and Endurance (fighter) now give 4% boost to the max levels of their respective resource pools (was 2%).

Toketsu

Been a while since i last posted, came back to rimworld like 3 weeks ago. Liking what you did with the mod so far! I'll be posting some more ideas soon-ish, though i won't be reading every single page >-> so, sorry if i suggest something that's already been suggested.

ZE

Torann love what ur doin here, wonder if a compatability patch could be made for zombieland, to regard the zombies as undead? and vampires too.  also.... can undeath be something removable? my minions died but i couldn't resurrect them through any means (dev/mechanites/spell) without them still being undead still. 

some ideas
- Mana sensitivity, basically psychic sensitivity, but for the elements/anima/whatever u wanna call it (force? lol) multiplies effects of certain spell types.  a rare Mana Deaf (dunno what you wanna call it) takes minimal to no effect from spells.
- Miasma, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles inspired, a dark energy/wind (both?) basically mystic toxicity, thins and thickens by either 2 or 3 grades, the thickest being caustic and causes mana burns, thin being traversable for a while as dark energy builds up.  crystals can be charged to create a safe area.  comes via event or permanent in some areas.
- Life/Mana Spring rare natural terrain feature,  small 3x3.  stand in it to gain a hediff that boosts natural health stamina and mana recovery.  right click to sip, for a stronger buff.  overexposure is just like a drug, and thusly has negative effects.  can appear via rare event
- Mystic Woods , strange densely wooded area with constant fog, wood elemental Kodama spirits and strange mana beasts, creepy ghost kids, likely to find springs here.
- Mystic Mire , not unlike Mystic Woods, but is swampy with mana-rich waters, the mystic mire, likely to experience miasma events here
- Crystal Event , like psychic/poison ship , not necessarily a negative thing, it "psychic soothes" but manawise, gives buffs like certain spells when you are nearby.  naturally repels miasma. creates events such as raids by dark forces and raiders, visitors can become jealous of your crystal and become raiders or turn their faction hostile.  attacking the crystal with dark magic can corrupt it, attacking it causes crystal defenders to appear.  can also create a "Hero is Chosen" event that makes one of ur pawns into a champion of the crystal

PHEW THIS WAS GONNA BE A SMALL SUGGESTION I GOT CARRIED AWAY!!!  maybe should gather a mod team to build this eh?

Toketsu

Here are some basic ideas you could possibly use:

Classes:

Shaman (magic support)

Hex - Low cooldown (1-5s) spell with low mana usage. Curses an enemy's body part (random at first, on choice with level ups), decreasing it's efficiency (pawns cannot get downed this way if consciousness drops too low). Can apply up to 2 hexes to the same body part, attempting to do more refreshes the oldest hex.
Lasts around 30 seconds by default.

Hex Hunter - Deals damage to all hexed body parts of the enemy, while removing all hexes. The more hexes, the stronger the damage.
Medium cooldown and mana usage.

Repulse - Knocks back any incoming projectiles and any pawns in the path. If a pawn is knocked back onto a wall, pawn is stunned for 3 seconds and receives 1-4 damage to either the head, torso or spread randomly on the limbs.
Instant cast, short cooldown, 20% mana usage. Upgrades include increasing the width of the repulse and the distance it travels.

Banish - Banishes target from the map. Can only be used on hostile targets, to avoid sending colonists to limbo.
Medium cooldown and mana costs. Half cooldown and mana costs if the target is a summoned being.

Ritual (master) - Map-wide spell that has a long cast time. Can be used without seeing the target. User will be in a trance after casting this spell, which will cause it to be downed and unable to wake up for at least 3 hours.
Rituals have different effects based on the closest pawn to the caster (there can only be one effect per cast):
If it's a magic pawn, every pawn on the map will lose 50% of max mana.
If it's a might pawn, every pawn will have boosted armor bonuses.
If it's a classless pawn, every pawn (but the classless pawn) will be stunned for 20 seconds, wondering why that pawn has no class. Stun removed upon damage received.
If it's a faith class (check below for more info), every pawn will gain a protection shield worth 40 damage.
Pawns within 10 tiles of the user will be affected by buffs, and pawns farther than 10 tiles will be affected by debuffs.

Items:

Soul in a Jar - Item that can be equipped in some slot (up to you, i don't know much about equipment slots in this game), and if the user suffers a fatal hit, it negates all damage from the attack, but the pawn falls into a coma for a week. Jar breaks upon use. Very rare item obtainable only from traders and quests.

Cursed Grimoire - One-use artefact that casts a random damage master spell on the target area. Works similarly to the Orbital Beam Targetter. Can be used even by classless pawns, but not by pawns incapable of violence.

Other:

Change Paladins from mana into Faith, and create a new types of classes based on faith. Faith is gained by meditating and praying to an altar or wooden idol (new furniture items (the idol could be a tiny statue)). Possibly make a patch for this to work with altars from "Rim of Madness - Cults" mod.

Add a new slider on the mod settings to choose how long spell cooldowns are. Could be between 0% and 300%, to please all kinds of players, from 'cheaters' to the hardcore type and roleplayers. Similar sliders could be added for mana costs and (add something here).

Faith:

Faith pawns would gain faith by meditating and praying to altars and wooden idols in the colony. This has a cooldown (similar to tame/recruit cooldowns) as to not be abused. There could be special 'holy' equipment for holy classes, such as crosses and other religious symbols, possibly something like crusader armor as well. These could give bonuses similar to the magic equipment, but for faith users. Faith pawns could be somewhere between might and magic, using both swords and spells at once, but not as strong as either.

Hope this is enough for the first suggestion post after a long time. Will post more ever so often~ Already got a good idea for the next class suggestion - i think you'll like it.

Rylarn

Absolutely love this mod!  Amazing work, Torann!

In my current game, my Fire mage died before I had any method of resurrection so I buried her in the temple.  Two quadrums later and I have a necromancer and a priest!  The Resurrection spell couldn't restore her since she was completely desiccated, so the necromancer turned her into an undead, dismissed her, and then the priest could resurrect her (had to edit the save file to remove the Undead trait though :/).  Having to make the priest and necromancer work together made the whole thing so much more interesting!

And my first Elemental Rift occurred right as I got a Star Vampire from the Rim of Madness mod series.... now *that* was an interesting battle!

Keep up the great work, Torann!

Alistaire

Quote from: Torann on May 26, 2018, 10:12:14 AM
Quote from: Dunqan on May 25, 2018, 07:38:03 AM

Well the "invis Minion" was something of a hack to fix a bug and has since been removed from appearing anywhere in the game.  The Def still exists, which might be why you're getting the error, and the graphics for the Def are a 100% transparent object.  As far as gameplay, you should be able to ignore the error as no impact since it never gets created (unless through dev mode).

CE dev team member here,

Replacing the empty graphic with anything with sufficient alpha values (say a placeholder graphic from vanilla, or the graphics set of another pawn) would fix this error.

Torann

Nice suggestions ZE.  I would like to add more event/world conditions that make the mod more immersive and having an area (through crystals or types of plants/environment or game conditions) that generate an arcane field (good or bad)  is a really good idea.  Before I get to new types of conditions, I really want to rework the "arcane tower" event.  I want it to be the pinnacle quest/event for mages that really brings out the conflict between mages within the game and gives the player a real magic-oriented objective.

As for additional traits that play well with the magic classes, I've considered making the psychic sensitivity stat a contributing factor for spells or mana gain/loss.  What does everyone think about that? Still tossing around thoughts on how best to do that; might also make other traits, like you suggest, that do something similar or somehow add/detract from magical capability.

Nice suggestion Toketsu, as always.  I'll see about the shaman, I think there's definitely a niche for a "utility object" and indirect offense/defense class though.  The Summoner fills the role for "combat object" with his summons, but the Shaman class concept is unique enough I think.  Now the question is if I'll ever have time to get around to it =)

Also, like the idea of the cooldown slider, I'll see if I can implement that soon-ish.

As for the cursed grimoire - I almost added a full blown capability to create spell scrolls that would allow a one-time-use, by any pawn, for pretty much every spell. But then I didn't... so who knows ;)

Quote from: Alistaire on May 29, 2018, 05:11:14 AM
CE dev team member here,

Replacing the empty graphic with anything with sufficient alpha values (say a placeholder graphic from vanilla, or the graphics set of another pawn) would fix this error.
I should be able to remove the Def altogether as it no longer serves a purpose.  If that doesn't work or I find it causes issues with existing games, then I'll modify the graphic.  Either way, it'll be fixed next update.

henk

I like the idea of psychic sensitivity affecting pawn mana gains, but perhaps they could also affect spell costs - so a pawn that is psychically deaf won't be strictly worse as a mage.

As for additional events, why not map events that allow your magically gifted pawns to gain an affinity? Making upgrade books rarer, but adding events in the world map that upgrade magically gifted pawns would give the upgrade more significance. For example :

- The old Arcane Stash event could be retooled to have a one-time-use building which upgrades a pawn to the specialization of your choosing, or even grant the Magically Gifted trait. Arcane Stash was rather annoying due to the difficulty, but it was a good idea, and I would love to see it come back in some form.
- A new event whereas a nearby friendly town is ready to accept apprentices. A magically gifted pawn could get there, pay the required sum, be gone for a few days (maybe) and gain a specialization.

Also, randomly-gained specialization (like ??? scrolls, and perhaps new events) could be improved by giving the specialization most appropriate to the pawn - for example, a pawn that is incapable of violence would always be a priest, and a pawn that has a low medicine skill would be less likely to become a druid.

Finally, is it possible to give spells special effects at casting? Similar to choosing a material for furniture, choosing an effect on a spell could change its mana cost and increase some of its properties.

Toketsu

Quote from: henk on May 29, 2018, 08:32:27 PM
I like the idea of psychic sensitivity affecting pawn mana gains, but perhaps they could also affect spell costs - so a pawn that is psychically deaf won't be strictly worse as a mage.

As for additional events, why not map events that allow your magically gifted pawns to gain an affinity? Making upgrade books rarer, but adding events in the world map that upgrade magically gifted pawns would give the upgrade more significance. For example :

- The old Arcane Stash event could be retooled to have a one-time-use building which upgrades a pawn to the specialization of your choosing, or even grant the Magically Gifted trait. Arcane Stash was rather annoying due to the difficulty, but it was a good idea, and I would love to see it come back in some form.
- A new event whereas a nearby friendly town is ready to accept apprentices. A magically gifted pawn could get there, pay the required sum, be gone for a few days (maybe) and gain a specialization.

Also, randomly-gained specialization (like ??? scrolls, and perhaps new events) could be improved by giving the specialization most appropriate to the pawn - for example, a pawn that is incapable of violence would always be a priest, and a pawn that has a low medicine skill would be less likely to become a druid.

Finally, is it possible to give spells special effects at casting? Similar to choosing a material for furniture, choosing an effect on a spell could change its mana cost and increase some of its properties.

+1 to all this, especially the last part and the "make books rarer" part. Right now, they're pretty easy to come by. Another slider that could be added is a "item price" slider, that affects all items added by this mod, ranging between 0% and, say, 500%. 500% may sound like a lot, but remember: this is a slider that the player will choose, and there are several mods that make getting money easier (such as "harvest everything" mod, which allows you to harvest almost every body part, making prisoners walking silver mines).

Also, Torann, i said i had a good idea for the next suggestion, but i'm unsure if this is possible to add: Two separate classes that have great synnergy with eachother. An example could be a class that can 'push and pull' enemies all close together, while the other would have a very high damage spell with long cast time, but very short aoe (say, 3x3 aoe). This would make teaming them together a really good fit.

Another thing that i'm unsure about is, can you make certain spells be more or less effective against pawns with certain traits and/or defs? Example, make necromancers get healed less with non-necro healing spells.

While i wait for these to be answered, i'll be working on another class, which will be more of a tank.

Quote from: Torann on May 29, 2018, 07:08:46 PM
Nice suggestion Toketsu, as always.  I'll see about the shaman, I think there's definitely a niche for a "utility object" and indirect offense/defense class though.  The Summoner fills the role for "combat object" with his summons, but the Shaman class concept is unique enough I think.  Now the question is if I'll ever have time to get around to it =)

I know almost nothing of scripting, so, sorry if i make suggestions that are too hard to implement o-o.