Wiki needs updating!

Started by HatesYourFace, August 13, 2014, 08:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangaea

Slight update first: A lot has been going on behind the scenes over the last few days. A command line wizard has upgraded many of the extensions and installed a few new ones, and fix quite some errors here and there. I believe the wiki has mostly been operational throughout this, but if you experienced slowdowns or the wiki being down, then this is why.

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 23, 2019, 10:38:10 AM
Also that new look you're planning for the official Wiki looks very awesome Pangaea... Randy would be proud from that. :D
Thank you kindly :)

Btw, for those who prefer a dark skin, it's now possible to select DarkVector in Preferences. It's not perfect as we haven't made any changes to it, but it can probably suffice for now. And using that base, it should be easier for me to adapt the re-design I've bene working on, as the base is dark instead of light. Means fewer CSS overrides every which way.

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 23, 2019, 10:38:10 AM
My complaint for the Wiki is that some of the screenshots are kinda too large or to big.

And some of the articles for curtain stuff are stubs, and most of the backstories aren't there, for example i have a pawn with a childhood backstory that he's a Viotube Star and it doesn't appear in the wiki (Please tell me if this backstory is in vanilla.) though his adulthood backstory Gun dealer does appear.

And some are missing stuff like the Architect Security page is missing the Autocannon turret and the Uranium slug turret.
Do you have any particular screenshots in mind? Is it due to browsing the wiki on mobile? If some are overly gigantic, it should be easy enough to change the code to reduce the size.

I believe all the backstories were recently generated from game files, so if it's not on the wiki, then it's most likely from a mod.

Quite a few pages are unfortunately outdated, though a few users recently have done a good job of updating some sections. If you see something, you are free to update it yourself. That's part of the magic of a wiki. Anybody can contribute, even without registering (for most pages).

I already kinda regret taking this on, because when I look closer at templates and game XML files, I realise how stupidly much work it entails -- but that aside, I'll be focusing on updating templates and transitioning the data on the wiki from storage in Semantic Mediawiki (SMW) to Cargo. Part of that process will mean checking lots of data and try to ensure it's updated, but for better or worse that won't be my focus moving forward. I'll have to focus on the framework instead, like templates and Cargo tables. Most likely writing many new templates that Cargo will use; essentially replacing the current SMW templates for various output and querying.

For now I have set up a wiki on my own computer to make some of this easier, as I have all user privileges there and won't have to battle with the incessant anti-spam measures. And it's ofc less risky if I make mistakes - bound to happen as I'm just a hobbyist and not a professional coder or something like that.

Kirby23590

Some of the screenshots in the wiki if you go to the event stuff kinda show some unnecessary things like the colonist bar or the entire game screen and hud with and where as in other wikis, they hide the game hud with F11 or just show one particular entity in a compact screenshot, it was a minor nitpick from the official rimworld wiki i have...

I don't know if backstories are all generated from game files, but some mods can help out, so disabled most of my mods and got Prepare carefully and yes, Viotube Star does exist in my game. Maybe i didn't disable most of my mods, but prepare carefully mod like that can really help filling all the backstories but i can understand that it might fill it up making it hard to scroll down the page.

No need to do everything, I can find getting all the backstories from 1.0 to be heavily time consuming.

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

It's a good point about the images. I looked over the Events page, and some of those could do with some cutting and chopping, or taking new ones. I also tend to think pages like that are too big, but don't know if the staff would agree with me there. Probably not great for Search engine optimisation (SEO) either. It's not much, but I made a note about it here: https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/RimWorld_Wiki:To-do

Made a search on the wiki for viotube star and didn't find any, and don't remember seeing it in-game. Kinda hope that isn't part of the vanilla game tbh, as it would basically break the fourth wall, with a fairly obvious reference to the contemporary world. From what I understand, that is something Tynan wants to avoid (iirc from something I read about guidelines for the backer stories). Therefore I suspect it's part of a mod. I could be wrong, of course.

Pangaea

It needs more work ofc, so think of this as a base, but any feedback on this thing?

I'd like small icons and more formatting for the fields in the infobox, for instance. Getting an overview of all the needed fields is actually a bigger pain in the arse than expected. If somebody happens to have a list somewhere, don't be shy! This stuff is broken up in game files in several different places, base/parent "things" and so forth. Kinda hard with so many files :-/

Kirby23590

That infobox for the Alpaca looks very fitting... It almost looks like the style looks ripped straight from the game.

The text is still very read-able with the new background as well along with it looking cool. I don't have any complaints for it, i like it! ;D

One "happy family" in the rims...
Custom font made by Marnador.

Pangaea

Quote from: Kirby23590 on July 24, 2019, 10:17:30 PM
That infobox for the Alpaca looks very fitting... It almost looks like the style looks ripped straight from the game.

The text is still very read-able with the new background as well along with it looking cool. I don't have any complaints for it, i like it! ;D

Thanks, that is great to hear! :) One of my motivations with this was to try to make the wiki look a bit more like the game, using colour codes from there. Actually thought about trying to recreate the character panel with the skills and such, but I suppose it doesn't really have a use on the wiki (and would take a ton of time), considering all of this is randomly generated and the game doesn't have NPCs of the more traditional kind.

Pangaea

Suspect we need more special handling of the Attack table, but I'm trying out a solution with it in the main article instead of the infobox. Better room, and given the massive amounts of data for animals and suchlike, the infobox could get pretty packed anyway.

Not quite sure how this surprise attack malarky works, so what I've jotted down in that example may be nonsense.

By putting this in a separate table, it should be easier to compare data from other animals too, like a list of the most dangerous attackers. Same with a lot of other data of course, like meat/leather/milk amounts and the like.

Pangaea

Think this one is starting to shape up now. Maybe better to drop those "x"s though. Did look a little weird. Need some icons as well, but this is just on my local wiki and I haven't bothered to put images there.

Canute

The individualy training steps arn't realy nessesary.
They are most based on the inteligence/Trainability of the animal.
Only Advanced ones can be trained for rescue/haul.
Release is part of the obedience training.

Pangaea

Quote from: Canute on July 26, 2019, 01:31:52 AM
The individualy training steps arn't realy nessesary.
They are most based on the inteligence/Trainability of the animal.
Only Advanced ones can be trained for rescue/haul.
Release is part of the obedience training.

True, although I think it's nice to have there for easier overview. I still keep checking animals in-game and the wiki for whether they can be trained in this, that or the other. Currently there is a list in the articles (based on a SMW query), so I figured it would be nice to retain that. Of course, if people object I can always remove it again.

Have finally put some of this stuff on the wiki proper, although it's only really viewable by me since it basically all formatting requires different CSS, which is in my user CSS file. I've changed a few things around, but it feels fairly done right now. But should probably put in some code for body mass at different life phases and stuff like that. I'd like to hope that people will put all the proper data in the infobox itself, but some back up wouldn't go amiss I suppose.

Hmm, just noticed the predator tickbox. That shouldn't really be there unless it's a yes. Unneeded info.

Canute

IMO predator is a much more needed then seperated training steps.
But since you don't add bodysize, maybe keep the training steps. Because you need advanced and a bodysize over (don't remember) so they can be trained for hauling/(rescue ?).
But keep the training step like ingame order : obe. , release, rescue,haul

And if you want have study star, maybe create a sortable chart with all animal.

Pangaea

Quote from: Canute on July 26, 2019, 05:52:22 AM
IMO predator is a much more needed then seperated training steps.
But since you don't add bodysize, maybe keep the training steps. Because you need advanced and a bodysize over (don't remember) so they can be trained for hauling/(rescue ?).
But keep the training step like ingame order : obe. , release, rescue,haul

And if you want have study star, maybe create a sortable chart with all animal.

We have body size too, it just isn't visible in the above screenshots as the box is kinda large. So much data. Juvenile mass didn't show earlier because I hadn't entered data for it (it was part of the infobox). Now I have FINALLY managed to get the formulas correct, so that it can be calculated as long as mass_adult is set.

Good point about the predator and listings. I've reverted it so that predator status always shows. It does in the game too (in Wildlife tab), so it makes sense.

Will try to get formulas for haul etc as well. Looks tricky as this stuff really isn't second nature to me. Therefore I was quite pleased about finally getting the below working. Got an error message earlier, apparently because it didn't treat the Float defined mass_baby variable as a number, so I had to use formatnum around it.

| mass_baby          = {{#vardefine: mass_baby | {{#if: {{{mass_baby|}}} | {{{mass_baby}}} |
    {{#if: {{{mass_adult|}}} | {{#expr: {{formatnum: {{{mass_adult}}}|R}}/5}} }} }} }} {{#var:mass_baby}}

Visibly not much has changed so won't bother with yet another screenshot, but I'm using the game icons for yes/no checkmarks now. They looked much better.

Edit:
Oh my flipping god. I've been staring at the screen and making a gazillion edits trying to figure out what is wrong. Why I kept getting errors on two formulas, but not the others, despite them looking pretty darn similar, #ifexpr aside. Turns out I mistakenly used the variable name bodysize instead of the actual name basebodysize. FML!  :'(  ;D (PS: we need a wallbash emoticon)

But now (I think!) the darn thing finally works. Phew *wipes brow* (It's smoking hot in Europe)

| train_obedience    = {{#vardefine: train_obedience | {{#ifeq: {{{trainability|}}}|none|no|yes}} }} {{#var: train_obedience}}
| train_release      = {{#vardefine: train_release | {{#switch: {{{trainability|}}}
    |none|simple = no
    |intermediate|advanced = yes }} }} {{#var: train_release}}
| train_rescue       = {{#vardefine: train_rescue | {{#switch: {{{trainability|}}}
    |none|simple|intermediate = no
    |advanced = {{#ifexpr: {{{basebodysize}}} >= 0.65 |yes|no}} }} }} {{#var: train_rescue}}
| train_haul         = {{#vardefine: train_haul | {{#switch: {{{trainability|}}}
    |none|simple|intermediate = no
    |advanced = {{#ifexpr: {{{basebodysize}}} >= 0.40 |yes|no}} }} }} {{#var: train_haul}}

Pangaea

Okay, put more stuff into this beast, and changed a fair bit of code again, and cleaned up a few things. Probably no creatures will have this much data so it looks bigger than it will be.

Currently:
Herd animal only shows if it's true
Toxic/Psychic immunity only shows if true
Baby/juvenile mass is calculated based on adult mass
Predator shows whether it's true or false
Carry capacity is calculated based on body size if not set manually
Training haul etc is calculated based on trainability and body size

Hopefully I can soon move on to other stuff, and use the code from this template for most other things.

Canute

Do you still have time to play ? :-)

Pangaea

No.

:'( :'( :'( :'(

But I'll get that colony into space at some point  ;D