[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zyklame

Also the name in the backstory description don't get updated after renaming the character.
And the Headtype colors are a bit limeted can there also be the color scrollbars as for the ohter skins (hair, clothes)

Otherwise its a nice Mod. Prevents me from hitting the randomize button hundered of times an save file editing afterwards.
Good work.

Umbiggy

Brilliant idea, sick of waiting 20 minutes to randomise the colonists to something viable and decent to start up with, and would be nice to change around the start instead of typically starting in an identical fashion each game.

Preacher

Is there a way you could possibly tell us how we can modify the maximum amount of points? I'm kind of clawing my eyes out in anger since I can't seem to re-create the firefly cast. I mean I'm trying to have Kaylee with high points in mining/construction, Mal is great socially, with his guns and melee. Zoe is good social, awesome with a gun and sort of good melee, River is great at many things, Simon is a good doctor/researcher, Jayne is really stupid in everything but shooting/melee.

It seems basically having all of them is impossible, unless I spawn with 0 resources and they all have the skillset of 0 for everything.

Cala13er

Emottaja

Quote from: Preacher on September 22, 2014, 07:40:23 AM
Is there a way you could possibly tell us how we can modify the maximum amount of points? I'm kind of clawing my eyes out in anger since I can't seem to re-create the firefly cast. I mean I'm trying to have Kaylee with high points in mining/construction, Mal is great socially, with his guns and melee. Zoe is good social, awesome with a gun and sort of good melee, River is great at many things, Simon is a good doctor/researcher, Jayne is really stupid in everything but shooting/melee.

It seems basically having all of them is impossible, unless I spawn with 0 resources and they all have the skillset of 0 for everything.

I agree. Maybe a secondary version with +5000 points?
I started a game with TTM mod and pressed the Prepare Carefully button, the randomly generated colonists were already worth so much that the points were at -3000... had to set all their stats to 0 in order to get any starting items. :-\

Otherwise, good job. Like it a lot. :D

EdB

Quote from: zyklame on September 22, 2014, 03:14:04 AM
...the name in the backstory description don't get updated after renaming the character.

Thanks for the bug reports.

Quote from: Preacher on September 22, 2014, 07:40:23 AM
...I can't seem to re-create the firefly cast...

I definitely don't want to the point system to get in the way of that!

I posted a new release, v1.0.4.  Changelog:

• You can now disable the point system.  Right-click the points label and select the option to toggle between using points and not using points.
  • BUGFIX: Backstory tooltips are updated when a colonist's name or gender is changed.
  • BUGFIX: Changing backstories now correctly updates the "Incapable Of" section.

Just a heads up that I'm not going to be able to do another release until the end of the week.  I appreciate all of the feedback.

Percy

Thank you for this great mod. Really essential for my peace of mind when starting a fresh colony. No more dozens of random clicks, or save editing...

Igabod

This mod is so awesome (along with your UI mod) that I've decided to make my first post on here just to sing it's praises. This is exactly what I was missing from the vanilla game to make it fit exactly into my ideas for how I want to play. I made 3 starting characters who were psychopathic cannibals last night and had lots of fun killing everybody who wandered into my town and cooking them up. My only criticism would be the cost for adding another starting colonist. I wanted to have 4 cannibals to start with but the cost for another one would have put me at -1000 points so I had to settle for 3. I think it could be 5 out of 5 stars with some tweaks to the starting points or point costs. I'd definitely rate it a 5 out of 5 for the idea but 4 of 5 for the current implementation of it. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what else you come up with.

Nimr_Tiger

Is it just me or are you only able to select between a limited amount of backstories? I see things like 'Fighter controller' in the adult backstory, but if I scroll away from it I can't seem to get it again no matter the number of loops that are made. In addition I've noticed that rather frustratingly, everything seems to work when saving and loading presets except for the custom skill point mappings. Don't interpret that as a lack of appreciation for the awesomeness of the mod though, it's very handy not having to randomise until I get an acceptable matchup!

EdB

Quote from: Nimr_Tiger on September 22, 2014, 06:56:29 PM
Is it just me or are you only able to select between a limited amount of backstories?

Yes, there may be something going on there.  There are two kinds of backstories.  There are the regular backstories that adapt to the name and gender of the colonist that you choose, and there are special backstories that do not.  I left out all of the special backstories since they don't behave as expected when displaying the backstory description, and I'm thinking that might be why you're seeing this behavior.   I'll dig into it more to figure out what's going on.

I also noticed some weird behavior when clicking through the traits where it seemed like sometimes traits would get skipped.  I'll look at that, too.

EdB

Quote from: Igabod on September 22, 2014, 06:46:01 PM
...I made 3 starting characters who were psychopathic cannibals last night and had lots of fun killing everybody who wandered into my town and cooking them up. My only criticism would be the cost for adding another starting colonist. I wanted to have 4 cannibals to start with but the cost for another one would have put me at -1000 points so I had to settle for 3...

I will definitely be trying a psycho-cannibal starting group!  It was hard to decide what to do with the points.  Adding an 4th colonist could be considered a bit cheat-y since it gives you a significant head-start--and I wanted to reflect that.  With the points, you definitely need to remove skill points and passions on your first 3 colonists to be able to afford a 4th.  That said, the release I did today lets you disable the points entirely (see my post above).  I should have included that in the first place--it's important that everyone has freedom to set things up the way that they want.  I'll make that option more prominent in a later release.

jerry

That is the best mod I have ever seen  8) I always wondered if I can select the starting stats instead of clicking random 20 times or at least have the option of selecting a character between many characters.
and you just solved the whole thing. I haven't tried it yet but I sure will  ;)
I don't know if it's possible but this mod needs to be added in the game as a default you are a life saver buddy  :D

Igabod

Quote from: EdB on September 22, 2014, 08:45:18 PM
Quote from: Igabod on September 22, 2014, 06:46:01 PM
...I made 3 starting characters who were psychopathic cannibals last night and had lots of fun killing everybody who wandered into my town and cooking them up. My only criticism would be the cost for adding another starting colonist. I wanted to have 4 cannibals to start with but the cost for another one would have put me at -1000 points so I had to settle for 3...

I will definitely be trying a psycho-cannibal starting group!  It was hard to decide what to do with the points.  Adding an 4th colonist could be considered a bit cheat-y since it gives you a significant head-start--and I wanted to reflect that.  With the points, you definitely need to remove skill points and passions on your first 3 colonists to be able to afford a 4th.  That said, the release I did today lets you disable the points entirely (see my post above).  I should have included that in the first place--it's important that everyone has freedom to set things up the way that they want.  I'll make that option more prominent in a later release.

I can see how it would be cheat-y. But sometimes you just want to play out a scenario where you and your 3 best friends are colonists on an unknown world. Or re-enact Firefly. Or any other weird fantasy that rolls through your mind. That's where I see the best use for this mod. I'll definitely be downloading the update and giving it another run in a few minutes.

[Edit to add] After downloading the newest update I can say I am quite happy with the change. I was having so much fun with 4 cannibals. I put some limits on myself to compensate for the fact that I started with 4. I decided that I wasn't going to recruit any new colonists if they weren't at least a cannibal or a psychopath or both. This meant that in the short game I played I only had the 4 starting colonists. I also decided my colonists were against eating meat from animals but love human meat, just for giggles. I would still be playing this one if not for an unfortunate freak accident. While dismantling ancient stone buildings my only construction worker was crushed by the roof. Figured I could continue anyway, but then shortly afterward my hunter shot my only cook. Felt like it would be far too difficult to continue with only 2 colonists. I plan on using that preset again though. That was a fun game.

Romi

Edb you are super awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thank you soo much i've missed those cool mods!!!!Awesome keep up super mega cool work!!!!:D

Visitor000

I am a creator of Worlds. I give birth to children of varying backgrounds. I manipulate and torture at a will, causing pain and suffering to all those around me. But am also merciful in some cases, bringing joy and prosperity when I see fit.

I am an Author.