[MOD] (Alpha 8) Roof Support v0.8.3 (21-12-2014)

Started by Nommy, November 16, 2014, 07:10:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shinzy

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 20, 2014, 12:41:46 PM
Something Like this http://i.imgur.com/nf8u14j.jpg notice the lighter gray shade in the back

That's more in line with the rimworld perspective for sure

Anyhow! when in doubt with 3d! draw pyramids

Pyramdids solve everything let me tell you
Edit: it's also very hard word to write without a typo

Nommy

I think I like these two the best, but I can't decide between them:

Left: I did today using ideas from all the others
Right: by Minus & Shinzy with shading I added at the back like Matthiasagreen suggested

Which one do you guys prefer?

Let me know and I'll update the mod to use that version. Cheers

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Igabod

I prefer the one on the left. Being able to see the floor between the base and the top is the key part of that decision though. For some reason, the one on the right looks shorter.

Shinzy

I like the bulkier ones better but like Iggy said! the gap between the base and top is a huge plus

skullywag

if you made the black lines as thick as the actual walls I doubt youd even see the gap anyways. Right now my eye just get drawn to the fact that black lines arent equal....and that the columns start at the bottom of the cell and reach the top, which is not the centre of the walls positioning, its down to Tynans mixed use of Iso, directly above, and slightly askew (the walls). Youre not going to get this perfect.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Nommy

The black lines not being equal was bugging me too. They seem to change thickness as you move your view in the game. In the png they're all the same width. Like you say, if I make them much thicker there won't be a gap, but the discrepancy would be less noticeable I guess. I fiddled a little trying to get it to draw more consistently, like using the settings from the rock chunks which don't seem to suffer this problem, but it didn't help. If anyone knows any more about this can you please let me know?

I look into it more later I guess. BTW, thanks for the feedback.

Minus

Quote from: Matthiasagreen on November 20, 2014, 12:41:46 PM
Something Like this notice the lighter gray shade in the back
Not liking that back being lightened like that, it doesn' make sense. Should be the darkest part.

Quote from: Nommy on November 20, 2014, 12:53:48 PM
I haven't actually tried that yet. I should, but it seemed to be working ok already and I don't know what it does or why it's better. Any chance you could fill me in?
I was told objects needed that code in them to work, if they use the colour change with different materials thing. The white file is needed to tell the colours where to go on the object. It has to be a white version of the inside of the pillar, so excluding the outlines.

Also, the one Shinzy made with the sloped back is still my favourite. I don't like the left one as it seems to go too far down the base, and I dunno, just doesn't look as good. The one on the right though, I uploaded one close enough with a good outline, but still had a gap. The gap can be done easily by squashing the top square just a tad. And if you ask me, it looks quite wrong without a gap.

Our cybernetic hearts mean we care more!
Mods: Extended Surgery and Bionics, Brain Surgery, Medical XP Balance

Shinzy

Quote from: Minus on November 24, 2014, 05:52:13 AM
I was told objects needed that code in them to work, if they use the colour change with different materials thing. The white file is needed to tell the colours where to go on the object. It has to be a white version of the inside of the pillar, so excluding the outlines.

Oh it needs the mask image only if there's bits of the image you don't want to be recoloured, without that stuff it's gna recolour the entire image
or you could use shades of gray in the mask to have the colour be less vibrant on those bits
But just flat out pure recolour should work without the mask thing

edit: But I can see why you'd think so! Mrofa was very very clear on the importance of those in that one thread about the stuff system!

Minus

Quote from: Shinzy on November 24, 2014, 08:54:07 AM
Oh it needs the mask image only if there's bits of the image you don't want to be recoloured, without that stuff it's gna recolour the entire image
That's odd, I couldn't get it to change colour at all until I added the mask. Unless that's because I added that bit of coding in too... May have jumped the gun here. Thanks for letting me know.

Nommy

Cool, that makes sense, thanks for the explanation Shinzy.

I've updated the mod to use the texture Minus attached which was a modified version of the one Shinzy did IIRC, thanks guys, you rock!
RoofSupport v0.8.2 (27-11-2014).zip (sendspace)

I left a bunch of the other textures in too, so people can use whatever one they want - just rename the file you like to RoofSupport.png & restart the game (or reload the mod). So, if you wanna have skinny, kinda funny looking skeleton dudes everywhere holding your roof up, you can!

It still has that little annoying glitch where the border changes width as you move the screen though. I checked and the stools do this also, which makes me think it might be a limitation of the game.

MelanisticAlbino

Will this be updated for Alpha 8?! I really loved this mod!

Nommy

Vas sent me a version he updated for Alpha 8 (thanks man!) which I've put in the first post. The conduit roof support was removed since it's not needed now you can put conduit under stuff. Download link: RoofSupport v0.8.3 (21-12-2014).zip (Sendspace)

On another note, I've not really been checking these forums or doing rimworld stuff for a while, so sorry for the delay.

Also, Vas is looking for someone to write some dlls for his mods, so if anyone is interested in lending a hand there, give him a yell. Or if you just wanna say thanks for updating this mod too.

[Edit]Glad you like it BTW, though TBH I think I've done less work on it that other people. Just as it should be :)

Minus

Using the update, but among the many choices of textures, the one I was using wasn't there. Am I the only one that prefers the sloped bottom?

[attachment deleted due to age]

Grynnreaper

This is probably the most useful mod I have (I build into mountains) Thanks very much. I'm looking for a life support mod to keep donors alive so that I can get all the precious squishy bits out of them before they die, any ideas? I searched and can't find anything.

Minus

Quote from: Grynnreaper on January 03, 2015, 12:10:58 AM
This is probably the most useful mod I have (I build into mountains) Thanks very much. I'm looking for a life support mod to keep donors alive so that I can get all the precious squishy bits out of them before they die, any ideas? I searched and can't find anything.
Apothacarius has exactly that.