The Most Annoying Thing In Rimworld

Started by Halinder, December 27, 2014, 09:35:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vonholtz

Hmm I am new to the game but the most Annoying thing I have found is I have to stop playing Rimworld to work and sleep.  ;D

Matchstick

Quote from: Vonholtz on December 30, 2014, 02:50:59 AM
Hmm I am new to the game but the most Annoying thing I have found is I have to stop playing Rimworld to work and sleep.  ;D

I have to second that.  Soooo addictive  :)

Aporatael

My pawns running half-way across the map to do one bit of work, then running back home to eat because now they are hungry. Then running back out to do a bit more work before running home to sleep. If they had just eaten before leaving home they would have gotten 10 time as much work done. Instead they spent most of their day running back and forth doing nothing useful. Even within my base it gets annoying. They wake up, run past the kitchen to plant a few plants, then run back to the kitchen to eat. It's not as much of a problem inside the base unless you have a large base. But it is still wasted work time.

Trees are affected by crop blights. They should be immune like devilstrand. I hate having to replant a bunch of trees after every crop blight.

ShootyFace

Tons of good points here, good thread. Agree on most.

I am not a fan of how fire is handled in the respect that if the center portion of a geothermal generator or solar panel catches fire, it's just done for. Sure, you can deconstruct, but I feel like with the lack of research options, why not give us one for some sort of fire extinguisher that had a two or three tile reach? Same goes for a research table against a wall, my colonists should be able to put out the side against the wall without having to deconstruct something to do so.

I'm also waiting with baited breath for visitors to have a purpose. When they were first introduced, I absolutely LOVED the idea, but it just feels empty now. I mean, it's fun to watch fights break out between visitors and raiders/mechs, but having the ability to interact on some level with them, perhaps have them bring one or two items for trade, anything would be better that what's there now, which is pretty shallow.

For a game that relies on tactics, I hate having to micro my entire colony every raid. I would love to be able to designate defense positions and also create squads so I can bring my A-team to the fight and not have my brawler/doctor end up getting slaughtered. In the same vein, having an alarm you could sound during a raid that would send colonists to a 'safe' zone you designate would be a huge thing, in my mind.

Otherwise, I'd say I have to echo the need to make the world feel more alien. As of now, it just doesn't feel alien at all, really. Mechanoids were a good step in that direction, but elk? Cobras? Boars? I feel the 'earthiness' takes away from the game. Alien things don't necessarily have to have alien qualities like acid blood or lazer teeth or anything, but a bit of creativity in the realm of the flora and fauna of RimWorld would go a loooong way.

Even with those few quibbles, RimWorld kicks so much ass it's ridiculous.
"Oh boy, I can finally have my colonists paint the outer wall with Raider blood and hang a sign by the main door that says: "Looking for Donations"
I'm sure that'll make the Raiders feel welcome. :3" ~TheXIIILightning

amul

Quote from: Lochar on December 28, 2014, 02:58:26 PM
...I hate that I unforbid to try to get them to haul it into storage only to have them go and eat it on ground and not bring any back unless I start micromanaging. Maybe need 2nd forbid to eat option.

Lack of assigning stations - way too many lower skilled folks always steal the crafting stations.

Quote from: llunauk on December 29, 2014, 09:10:53 AM
Lack of Alien content....I don't feel like I'm on an alien world and the so called Alien stuff acts Earthy and not alien.

Agreed!

Quote from: thefinn on December 29, 2014, 02:35:43 AM
Same with the medical skill. Too often the main doctor needs treatment so u need to assign 2, but that also means the low-skilled guy ends up treating other people... annoying.

To get around this, I use the manual prioritization mode, and setup my backup doctor with everything set to priority 3 except Doctor, which I set to 4. That way, the backup doctor never self-selects to heal people, but I can assign him to heal my main doctor.

Quote from: mbos14 on December 29, 2014, 04:25:29 PM
Colonist using the tables and chairs in the prison area while there is a perfectly good one just as far not inside the prison

Uncheck the "Gather Spot" option on the table in the prisoner's area. Should do the trick for you.

---

My additions to the list:

* I wish miners who can haul would haul back the stuff they mined when they are ready to return home. This would also emphasize the personality difference between the people who refuse to do Dumb Labor and the ones who will.

* The inability to make "circular" grow zones and stockpiles around my sun lamps and beacons.

* Inability to easily tell what is roofed and what isn't. I lost my entire crop due to a flash-freeze when I thought I had it all roofed in, because one square was too far from a nearby wall to support a roof tile.

EscapeZeppelin

Quote from: amul on December 30, 2014, 04:28:07 PMI wish miners who can haul would haul back the stuff they mined when they are ready to return home. This would also emphasize the personality difference between the people who refuse to do Dumb Labor and the ones who will.

On a similar note I hate colonists who can build but not haul. They have no problem carrying all that material to the build site on the other side of the map but when I cancel the work they refuse to carry it back.

Mihsan

1) Solar panels on fire.
2) Colonists on fire.
3) Devilstrand + hydroponics + solar flare (and solar flares in general).
4) Nontreatable wounds (scar, old gunshot, brain damage... they are fun, but i want to do at least something with them).
5) Explosions of MG turrets.
6) Trading interface (how to sell 5000 potatoes: drag 150 potatoes, drag 150 potatoes...).
7) Searching for my 6 soldiers in tight base with 30+ people (some "soldier" profession and "draft soldiers" button, maybe? please?)
8) Large mechanoids (too much of them).
9) Mortars when i use them.
10) Survival meals.
11) Roofs that i can not remove.
12) Friendly fire.
Pain, agony and mechanoids.

Avis

When i send out some colonists to go mine, they go out accost the map, mine some ore and then walk all the way back empty handed. I end up manually forcing them to carry the ore on there way back. Had this problem for a while now. The other things I do not quite care for are: Solar flares, Having your turret based deference turn off and then being completely wiped out isn't much fun to me, for a while i actually just stopped using turrets because of it. And the ship part crashing early game. For the most part i agree with the rest of the thread.
I remember the days of giving prisoners peg legs, and then removing them to immobilize them.

Stannis

1. Prioritizing something and only getting the "blueprint" complete.

2. Friendly fire

3. Dismissing a notification with right click and having no archive

4. Idle hungry, tired and hot pawns not eating and going to a cool environment.

Drahkon

right clicking to dismiss a note I don't care about, only for a new one to appear under my cursor at that exact moment...

praetor156

No livestock for making better meals hunting is nice but once all animals are dead you end up waiting for the next group from the edge of the map

Raufgar

Quote from: Asero on December 30, 2014, 01:59:04 AM
Quote from: marvinkosh on December 29, 2014, 11:11:48 AM
Not being able to be a goody-goody and help that wounded outlander. Especially when I'm basically sitting on a pile of herbal medicine that would have them up and about in no time.

Agreed. It's not only annoying but somewhat unrealistic, especially if you have good relations with said neighbors. Usually I just help and then edit the save files afterwords to fix up the severed relations...

I understand the need for this in the vanilla game, but The Miscellaneous w MAI Mod (actually 2 mods in one) should help with this, amongst other things.

Quote from: amul on December 30, 2014, 04:28:07 PM
Colonist using the tables and chairs in the prison area while there is a perfectly good one just as far not inside the prison

Uncheck the "Gather Spot" option on the table in the prisoner's area. Should do the trick for you.

Hey, TIL, thanks!
Don't be afraid to voice your opinions...

The worse thing that can happen to you is that you'll get your ass capped.

mbos14

---

My additions to the list:

* I wish miners who can haul would haul back the stuff they mined when they are ready to return home. This would also emphasize the personality difference between the people who refuse to do Dumb Labor and the ones who will.

* Inability to easily tell what is roofed and what isn't. I lost my entire crop due to a flash-freeze when I thought I had it all roofed in, because one square was too far from a nearby wall to support a roof tile.
[/quote]

the gather spot thing does not work. they stil go there when its unchecked and dont go to the one thats checked.

also like the miner things would reduce extra hauling.

and the roof things if you hoover your cursor inside the room and it says that its outdoors then your missing a roof somehwere.(shame it doesnt tell where.)

Grey_Mako

Lots of these all stand true for me, but my number one bug bear is this:

Not being able to overrule the auto slow down when an effing rodent is biting someone.

I play on super speed, and I just pause the game when I need to think. I like the auto slowdown as a sign that something's going down, but I find it so damned annoying that the game refuses to let me overrule it's judgement when I know that everything will be fine.

rrooster

As the food distance vs. quality and hauling efficiency related topics have already been covered, what comes to mind is being able to limit each colonists movements to selected areas (could possibly be handled in similar manner as setting the home zone, but on individual basis). This way it would be possible, for example, to only have one specific guy or gal haul stuff from outside the base and having other haulers function within the safety of one's walls.

This function could additionally allow a separate set of limitations for when enemy is present (so, staying with the example, the lone long-distance hauler would automatically know to say within the walls at these times).

Even further, this would allow a system for setting up separate subcolonies within the same map. For example to have the more abrasive folk live on their own little hut on the other end of the map.