The Big Patch Notes Topic

Started by Semmy, November 04, 2013, 03:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokey the Bear

Quote from: Galileus on January 19, 2014, 04:32:17 PM
How much value can one expect from a 20$ title anyway? ^^' It's a one trip to cinema, and I'm pretty sure no one complains to cinemas their movies would last more than a month if they added 5 more minutes to them every two weeks :P

To be fair, I've clocked over 310 hours into Rust which was $20 and over 500 hours into LFD2 which even though it was a $60 title once, was $5. I could keep making this list bigger but I think my point was made; the price of a game should in no way determine it's actual value to a gamer, and how many hours of gameplay they'll get from it. In another year this game will more than likely offer countless hours of gameplay and people like the guy you were responding to should understand that a month for an initial public build of an Alpha game, is pretty damn good.

It's especially good that he never has to pay again, and in another year when the game is that much more fleshed out he can come back and play it for several months.

For the record I think I've complained after every movie I've went to the theaters to see, because it was so expensive and no movie has been worth it in years.

Galileus

Comparing multi-player titles to a single player title in terms of length or replayability is just a no-no. Never do that ;) Also, different genres and types of games can vary in length. I would expect longer gameplay from a RTS than from spectacle fighter for example - simply because of the way they handle.

Also, soaked more than 1k hours into Tribes and never paid a buck for it :P

And I disagree as to counting hours into bucks. Of course it's not a 1:1 relation, where you say how much the game should cost in correlation how long you play it - but some 60$ titles round up to 4h of uninspired and bland gameplay, and this IMHO is a great deal for concern. Especially if you can get 20$ titles that will give you 4h of extremely fun game or 60$ ones with a lot of replayability on top of long core game. The relation is not important above the minimum buck/hour you're willing to pay - but that is important. After all, we don't have unlimited resources, and thus there will be downtime between games we can play or want to play. In this case it's often better idea to get slightly worse, but much longer game than to blow it on extra-short experience that will leave you empty-handed one day after the purchase.

Semmy

Patch notes updated.

Public release coming closer and closer.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Vilusia

Omgggg Im so excited. Been waiting for this for a while. Looks like it will be well worth the wait!

Check out Bone Mod! Updates almost daily.

Jones-250

I would be crawling out of my trousers in excitement at this point, if that would not be such an silly and profanum vulgus thing to do.  ;D No, I´ll take that back any time now. I will crawl out of my trousers, against my will... In excitement, that is.  :)
Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

AcDie

Quote from: Semmy on January 22, 2014, 03:27:57 AMPublic release coming closer and closer.
Do not feed the animals!  ;D

TokyoDan

Where can we get the latest version?
Dan Huffman
30+ years of coding and only one game to show for it.

AcDie

Quote from: TokyoDan on January 23, 2014, 06:41:37 AM
Where can we get the latest version?
Link in mail by "SendOwl Downloads"

Semmy

Latest version is .254b

new version will be here within 2 weeks. If everything goed as plannes
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Smokey the Bear

Quote from: Galileus on January 21, 2014, 12:44:25 PM
Comparing multi-player titles to a single player title in terms of length or replayability is just a no-no. Never do that ;) Also, different genres and types of games can vary in length. I would expect longer gameplay from a RTS than from spectacle fighter for example - simply because of the way they handle.

Also, soaked more than 1k hours into Tribes and never paid a buck for it :P

And I disagree as to counting hours into bucks. Of course it's not a 1:1 relation, where you say how much the game should cost in correlation how long you play it - but some 60$ titles round up to 4h of uninspired and bland gameplay, and this IMHO is a great deal for concern. Especially if you can get 20$ titles that will give you 4h of extremely fun game or 60$ ones with a lot of replayability on top of long core game. The relation is not important above the minimum buck/hour you're willing to pay - but that is important. After all, we don't have unlimited resources, and thus there will be downtime between games we can play or want to play. In this case it's often better idea to get slightly worse, but much longer game than to blow it on extra-short experience that will leave you empty-handed one day after the purchase.

Which further proves my point which was that the cost doesn't determine the value.

Jones-250

Skill,
  Cohesion
      and a Forward spirit.

Galileus

When is the next update? It's been few hours since last patch, and we got nothing. Some alphas update every 1,76 minutes! It is very much expected, that Rimworld updates at least every hour!

Merry76

Quote from: Galileus on January 27, 2014, 01:58:13 PM
When is the next update? It's been few hours since last patch, and we got nothing. Some alphas update every 1,76 minutes! It is very much expected, that Rimworld updates at least every hour!

MMD :)

Thoughts

Played for several hours (like 10?) yesterday against the Alpha1 release and had a few comments:

Love the new resource management and flexible storage sites.  Particularly like that I can set priorities so that I can stockpile things like food, and then overflow to the launchpad whatever "excess" I have.

Had a few problems with Manual priorities (not sure if defaults have this, I tend to switch to manual pretty quickly):

*  In the early game, I'd fine my crew going idle, despite there being work to do.  This seemed to be a range thing.  I did check, and even though there was construction pending, nothing would happen.  Later that would occur when I ran out of metal, but doubt that was the issue (although I'll need to run again to verify that).  It might be my imagination, but it appeared they refused to doing anything north of a certain virtual latitude.

*  Random daze/leavings/berserk without warning were a pain late game.  Sometimes I could see it coming, but often not.

*  Feeding everyone was a LOT harder. This felt buggy, like me have rooms full of hydroponic tables and multiple growing zones bursting with goodness and people starving.  If I marked a bunch of outside plants for harvest they ravaged the plants and would be happy, but they were not harvesting from the tables/zones.  I could fix this by forcing cooking to be #1 and eventually balanced around that.

*  Overworked and hungry being a "Mental Break soon" event when there were plenty of beds and food seemed odd.  Fixable by removing most work assignments until they recovered.

*  Laughed when I realized I had too many potted plants.  Apparently those now require maintenance and seemed to take priority over planting food.  Each 5x6 room now gets just one in each corner instead of lining the walls with them.

*  Had several disabled colonist die in bed.  Almost like doctoring isn't working.  If they were active prisoners, they apparently got fed and recruited (I always recruit everyone - you can always use them as cleaners/haulers!)

*  Really tough time avoiding abandonment in early game.  They REALLY hate sharing a bedroom.  Ended up getting by this by building a lot of 3x3 rooms which I used as prison cells/overflow rooms later in the game.

Just my 2 cents!

Tynan

Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog