Suggestions request: Ways to fulfill a "joy" need

Started by Tynan, March 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

Well fun (the current name) doesn't directly impinge on mood; it's just one component of mood.

E.g. You can dance and drink all you want, and it might help a bit, but if you're starving and exhausted and all your friends just died your mood will probably still not be great (though you might be able to at least stave off insanity with the fun you're having). Sad life lessons expressed in game systems.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Johnny Masters

Yep, pretty much how i think it would work, i was gonna write a short anecdote in my last post relating pretty much the same but decided i do too much of that already, heh.

I'm still not sure though about exactly it would affect mood, as in: below a 20% threshold you'd get -10 to mood, above 90% a +10 (and stuff in between). Would be something along these lines?

Obs: Ditch fun, they already use it in sims as one of their needs. Plus joy/recreation/entertainment is more broad. You can get joy by appreciating how nature is beautiful but it doesn't necessarily mean its *fun*. But then again fun might have this meaning for some english cultures?

ja7833

Quote from: Darth Fool on March 16, 2015, 01:07:23 PM
Learning new things.

I think the ability to teach/learn would be an added bonus not only for happiness but to improve and cross-train your colonist in 
skills.  Small gain for teacher larger gain for student.

Quote from: ctgill on March 16, 2015, 03:41:28 PM
-Coffee (drinking, also would give more crop diversity)

+1 for coffee

and tobacco (short term significant joy increase/priorities suspended to take a smoke break, gradual reduction in breathing efficiency, long-term lung transplant required)
"Someone who is making anywhere from $300,000 to $750,000, that's middle class."  - Frederick Heineman

Mathenaut

I suppose I'm also confused. The way it's being described, Joy seems rather.. redundant. That, or it's a very complicated means of doing something very simple (offsetting low mood).

From the way it's being described, it's less about 'having fun' and more about just  managing stress.

Cazakatari

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 16, 2015, 08:32:30 PM
I suppose I'm also confused. The way it's being described, Joy seems rather.. redundant. That, or it's a very complicated means of doing something very simple (offsetting low mood).

From the way it's being described, it's less about 'having fun' and more about just  managing stress.

Even in our comparatively cushy lifestyles what you describe is the norm for life after college :p

Tynan

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 16, 2015, 08:32:30 PM

It's an independent need which must be regularly fulfilled. If they go days and days without ever stopping work to have fun they'll start to get really sad. It's comparable to rest.

REMworlder

Joyous activity suggestions:
Humming
Daydreaming
Stretching
Belching
Meditating
Beatboxing
Whistling
Playing an air guitar (or other instrument)
Pondering
Origami
Joywiring (it is in the name)
Hopscotch/jump roping

Mathenaut

I suppose the next question is whether managing this really does much for us or if it's just another meter that we need to keep an eye on? Does managing this need have a payoff, or is it just another thing to manage to stave off more mood penalties?

I could only imagine this being a bit finnicky for the people who like running massive colonies.

Tynan

All you have to do is make sure the appropriate opportunities for fun are available. Keep them supplied with beer and chocolate, build a games room, etc.

Mathenaut

I suppose that doesn't sound too bad. I suppose I'd request that the length of a day be extended slightly if the colonists are going to be idle for longer periods of it.

Tynan

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 16, 2015, 10:08:13 PM
I suppose that doesn't sound too bad. I suppose I'd request that the length of a day be extended slightly if the colonists are going to be idle for longer periods of it.

I already extended it from 24000 to 30000 ticks a week or two ago specifically for this reason :)

apljee

Positive Activities:
- Playing pool
- Hunting animals
- Swimming (?????)
- Playing cards
- Listening to music (maybe something like record players with music discs)

Negative Activities:
- "I killed a man."
- Burying dead bodies
- Cremating corpses
- Stripping prisoners
- Beating prisoners
- Killing prisoners
- Killing incapacitated people

<!-- ============ maybe some joy bonuses? ================= -->

If the joy bar is close to full, maybe colonists could have increased speed, a moodlet effect, and a better global work speed? Maybe some opposite-stat-deterioration where instead of slowly losing stats they gain them very slowly? and the opposite for non-joy

kingtyris

Quote from: Mathenaut on March 16, 2015, 10:08:13 PM

Thats apart of the risk/reward mechanic. Colonists need food, they have to spend time and space making and storing food. Pawns need sleep, they spend that time not working.

kingtyris

Quote from: apljee on March 16, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
Positive Activities:
- Playing pool
- Hunting animals
- Swimming (?????)
- Playing cards
- Listening to music (maybe something like record players with music discs)

Negative Activities:
- "I killed a man."
- Burying dead bodies
- Cremating corpses
- Stripping prisoners
- Beating prisoners
- Killing prisoners
- Killing incapacitated people

<!-- ============ maybe some joy bonuses? ================= -->

If the joy bar is close to full, maybe colonists could have increased speed, a moodlet effect, and a better global work speed? Maybe some opposite-stat-deterioration where instead of slowly losing stats they gain them very slowly? and the opposite for non-joy

Some of these I guess depend on whether Tynan is going to limit joy to purpose built structures or allow other tasks to contribute. Although certain activities like burying the dead should lower joy, realistically. So a work activity like that would lower passion more than say planting flowers. Seems a bit labor intensive to code though, as you would have to tie a joy value to literally every possible action in the game.

Johnny Masters

Quote from: kingtyris on March 16, 2015, 10:19:13 PM
Seems a bit labor intensive to code though, as you would have to tie a joy value to literally every possible action in the game.

Hence why we/rw should focus on having specific joy buildings/activities. Everything else goes direct to mood.