Suggestions request: Ways to fulfill a "joy" need

Started by Tynan, March 14, 2015, 03:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tynan

I've wanted to do a beliefs system for ages, but I think I should do a "social relationships" system first if I'm gonna go down that path.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

lusername

What happens when your guy is a bloodthirsty psychopath and shooting people is his joy in life? I have a guy like that, he loves raiders...

Johnny Masters

Quote from: Tynan on March 17, 2015, 11:18:28 PM
I've wanted to do a beliefs system for ages, but I think I should do a "social relationships" system first if I'm gonna go down that path.

Ah, relationship system before belief anytime. Also, belief should profit by the fact its 5k in the future, and kept as generic/fictitious as possible, leaving our earthen ones to modders.

Quote from: lusername on March 17, 2015, 11:57:53 PM
What happens when your guy is a bloodthirsty psychopath and shooting people is his joy in life? I have a guy like that, he loves raiders...

Joy happens! >D

Another one that is so common today that we missed:
-Obsessively checking smartpho- i mean, Personal Data Assistant- for messages, messing with useless apps and ignoring friends.

b0rsuk

Snob

The colonist gets enjoyment from wearing more expensive equipment than anybody else. He also enjoys having more expensive items and furniture in his room. Quality or material is of secondary importance. Market value is king. The higher the colonist is above colony average, the happier. When there are more "wealthy" people than him, he's unhappy. It doesn't matter if he has no skill with that golden gladius, or that plasteel helmet never sees battle. He's happy.

Trophies
The colonist enjoys putting stuff in his room that documents his combat accomplishments. It could be a collection of tribal spears, skulls of hunted animals (collect them all!), etc.
-------------------

More generally, I wish that less emphasis was put on "building tables/facilities to do X" and more on giving colonists space and time and letting it happen. For example colonists with more introverted hobbies would be more likely to do stuff in their rooms, or invite a small number of people there. That would mean that they would be happier if you gave them their own rooms, bigger rooms, LIGHTS normally ignored in sleeping rooms, tables, chairs.

stefanstr

Quote from: Tynan on March 17, 2015, 11:18:28 PM

Reading this whole thread, and especially this post, made me very hyped about future Alphas...

hyperkiller

trait related ones could give joy like:
psychopathy trait can gain for killing animals/raiders

keylocke

ack 7 pages.. has anyone suggested the "sexy times" as fun yet?

double bed, a couple of beers, boomshakawow, ftw!

yes? ;D

Kegereneku

"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Kegereneku

I preferred calling it "joy".
"Joy" is less likely to be misinterpreted on the forum than "fun". I find it more serious too.

But I don't really mind.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Argon

Quote from: Kegereneku on March 18, 2015, 04:47:17 PM
"Joy" is less likely to be misinterpreted on the forum than "fun". I find it more serious too.

But I don't really mind.
A fair point, but I would not define Boxing as a joyous activity, despite it being fun.

-Argon

SpaceDorf

Quote from: b0rsuk on March 18, 2015, 07:52:32 AM
Snob

The colonist gets enjoyment from wearing more expensive equipment than anybody else. He also enjoys having more expensive items and furniture in his room. Quality or material is of secondary importance. Market value is king. The higher the colonist is above colony average, the happier. When there are more "wealthy" people than him, he's unhappy. It doesn't matter if he has no skill with that golden gladius, or that plasteel helmet never sees battle. He's happy.

*fixed*

I like the idea idea of the !!FUN!! system very much.

Crap, sorry I am not a native speaker so I hope the following wall of text is at least understandable,
since my mind produced to many Ideas, concerns and replys to posts after reading all seven pages in one go and just wanting to make a lame jab at the until now not mentioned DF. I will refer no further to it, because I too think Rimworld is a Rimworld-Like game which

I try to sort it by topic

Concerns :
1. As already mentioned. Don't make to many different fun-factory buildings, because this would
really bloat the colony out of proportion

Replies :
1. I strongly disagree with the notion that working a job can't be rewarding and therefore
satisfaction or FUN inducing. I think thats the whole point of chosing a job in real life.
And I think the passion indicator reflects that quite well.
Its the best kind of job - You are good at it and you find joy in what you do.
2. I therefore agree and support the suggestion that there should be more job indicators.
As for now I read the passions/job indicators as
can't do job - for whatever reason - illogical
no passion - can do but is indifferent about it
small passion - is good at it, but still indifferent
burning passion - is good at it and likes it

With fun in mind this list feels incomplete, for the sake of really unique personalities I suggest to add
just a few more passion indicators to make it a 3x3 matrix like the alignment matrix of d&d.
So there would be 3 steps of how well a type of work is liked, and 3 steps of how skilled/talented a pawn is in a type of work.
And for the cherry on top. Backstories and Traits  force or supplement the matrix.

This would really fulfill a lot of my random character itches ..

All Pawns can do all kind of jobs but have likes and dislikes for them and don't
get skill boni stolen from them just because they turned noble and won't do a job anymore

e.g the prostophobe glitterworld-doc .. who is really good at operations and installing
prostethics .. but does not like it ..

e.g the kid-genius that turned noble has still really likes a job like crafting or researching
but therefore dislikes social situations, while still being good at it ..

I think this is one good chance for the often talked about risk/reward system.
Do I piss of Dr. House by making him patch up the really the nearly dead captured raider I really want or do I send Obnoxious Nurse Betty and risk losing the raider but House is still in a good enough mood to flawlessly install the power arm my brawler alway wanted, before he bleeds out or Betty annoys the living crap out of him.

In the end this leads to other fun activities for the obnoxious pawns :
- complaining
- i just can't think of the verb for telling good stuff ... not complaining but telling happy about it
- telling jokes +1

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Argon

^Good suggestions, and completely understandable English.

-Argon

Johnny Masters

Quote from: keylocke on March 18, 2015, 02:01:17 PM
ack 7 pages.. has anyone suggested the "sexy times" as fun yet?

double bed, a couple of beers, boomshakawow, ftw!

yes? ;D

But of course mt good sir! Although i dont expect sex will be in the next joy (bleh to fun) update. My fair guess is that if is implemented (and it should), it will feature in a relationship update.

Quote from: Argon on March 18, 2015, 04:53:07 PM
Quote from: Kegereneku on March 18, 2015, 04:47:17 PM

But I don't really mind.
A fair point, but I would not define Boxing as a joyous activity, despite it being fun.

-Argon

I find joy is also better, more broad in its application. Also, FUN is already used by the sims.

Im not a boxer, but i think they do get joy from it, at least if winning. Losing a match could have a negative impact similar to losing a gamble. There are a lot of joyous activities with a competitiva side that still provides joy.

One could make a case about the 'getting punched' parte, but i still dont think it would be a good one. I used to martial art, and apart from getting a broken arm i did enjoy myself in fights (sparring or competitiva), although i still cant speak for a boxer.

Kirid

Taking the telling jokes idea one step further.. Stand up comedy
Perhaps a microphone object to facilitate this and other activities like singing.

Songs might have a debuff if someone is a bad singer, or if a colonist doesn't like it for whatever reason. Stand up should have a chance for a bad debuff if the person gets offended, but generally a better buff. (Irl it seems songs bring joy a lot slower or less drastically than jokes)
Longer lasting buff for songs or jokes than most other fun sources. After hearing something good its human nature to recite it over and over, still laughing or singing in your head hours later.

Has a new job/work type for "Entertainer" been suggested yet?
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd